Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Experiences of less than handy man  (Read 16392 times)

eiii

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
Experiences of less than handy man
« on: March 05, 2008, 07:14:14 PM »

Hello, I've had my security package for a month and my family and I are very happy with it.  I was skeptical because of the great price and having never used X10 products (too good to be true?).  However, no worries, works great, and would recommend it.    ;D

The package I got gave me a taste of the useful home automation using my PS561 as a transceiver.  I hit a few stressful points in the setup, but none ended up being a big deal.  My console didn't work in first couple outlets.  One close to a computer and one shared with laptop.  However, most others worked and is now in an outlet shared with a surge protector with a TV, VCR, PS2, and other stuff with no issues and works.  It is controlling lights upstairs/downstairs/outside so no issues with range.  Didn't figure out to push the bypass button to see 9-16 zone lights for longer than I would like to admit.  When disarmed, run1 no chimes, run2 chimes on window/door sensors.  I find run2 useful to know when a door is opened and to make sure my little ones and pets are not running away.  Used middle finger at top center of slimline (SS13A) tabs to get them off.  Door/window sensors don't have to line up perfectly, my framed doors have them at odd angles and not touching, but no issues.  To use lights on button of remote means lamp module house AND unit code must match.  All lights on house code (unit code irrelevant) will flash with alarm and after disarming, lights off will turn off ALL lights on house code irrelevant of unit code.  Just hit on/off buttons once to turn on/off lamp modules, I kept holding down because thought I had to until dimmed all way up or down.  Wall switch on/off/on won't get a lamp module on, but actual switch on light will.  Probably others, and most if not everything covered in manuals, but I was a little overwhelmed at first, but happy I did it and now looking at more X10 stuff to buy and play around with.  I'll have to get something, my 3 year old keeps complaining because he wants his lights in his room to work via a remote too! 

Thanks for the forum and the great community.  Lots of great information here. 

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Re: Experiences of less than handy man
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2008, 04:07:02 AM »

I've had my security package for a month and my family and I are very happy with it. I was skeptical because of the great price and having never used X10 products (too good to be true?).........................
Thanks for the forum and the great community.  Lots of great information here. 

Welcome to the forum eiii.

It's always nice to hear good reports! I think I can understand your being a little skeptical to try X10... I too hesitated to jump into home automation. We hear so little about home automation. X10 is sorta like a 19 year old girlfriend... alot of fun.. but not talked about in public places.

I think you are building your system the right way. Start with something basic... read and learn about X10 and how it works... then continue to build on what you have.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.