🎭Entertainment > Entertainment General

I need help with IR Extender before I lose my mind

<< < (2/4) > >>

cddyal:
Allow me to clarify...

The remote works just fine when changing the channels directly on the VCR. I have definitely identified the IR port on the VCR and attached the emitters not smack dab on the IR port but within nanometers of it.

But when I try to change channels via the receiver, nothing happens. It's like it's not picking up any signal from the remote. I did not, however, configure the remote to work with the IR543 :-[, such a step was never mentioned in any of the literature from X10 or anything I have read in any forums, manuals, etc. I will search the wiki and see if I can determine how to do that...

And, BTW, I don't know what "Powermids" are? ???

Oldtimer:

--- Quote from: cddyal on March 08, 2008, 08:16:35 PM ---
And, BTW, I don't know what "Powermids" are? ???

--- End quote ---

Click on this link and look under the "Remote Sender" logo. 

http://www.x10.com/products/x10_pm5900.htm

It says "Powermid".  It's an older X10 term for what you have.  Anything that applies to Powermid on this Forum applies to Remote Sender. 

The most obvious thing to check is whether or not the sending unit (no antennae) LED inside the red pyramid blinks when you aim the remote control at it and push a button. 

If that is working you can look at the receiving unit (the one with the antennae) using the viewer on your digital camera while some one else is pushing the remote control buttons to see if that's blinking.  Most digital cameras "see" IR and display it in their viewer. 

If the sending unit LED is blinking all the time you've probably got a noisy CFL in the immediate vicinity. 

Let us know how you make out with this research.

cddyal:
Thanks, everyone, for working with me on this. I am trying to get the TV in my daughter's room to work, and she is sooooo excited, but her disappointment is beginning to show. So...

OLDTIMER, et. al.:  Neither the receiver nor the sending unit blinks when I click the remote. They simply are not receiving it's signal. However, the remote works fine when working directly with the A/V device (VCR).

I guess the question is, do I have to program a code into the remote in order for it to work with the send/receive units? If so, how do I do that? Sorry to be so ignorant, but I have searched everywhere I know and have not seen this addressed.

Again, I appreciate any help; I'll be working on this pretty much all day today until I figure it out...

Tuicemen:
Without a clear Idea of the products you have (model numbers located on bottom usually), everyone here is guessing just like you! ???
X10 sells hundreds of kits a week and many have been known to be shipped without all the Parts/devices! :(
Knowing exactly what you have will help greatly, perhaps someone else has the exact same models and can shed some light(a lot quicker then everyone guessing!)
I have an audio video sender/receiver kit  but mine is the older black units (never came with ir emitters but it was in a cam package) :(

Oldtimer:

--- Quote from: cddyal on March 09, 2008, 12:19:35 PM ---
I guess the question is, do I have to program a code into the remote in order for it to work with the send/receive units? If so, how do I do that? Sorry to be so ignorant, but I have searched everywhere I know and have not seen this addressed.

--- End quote ---

The I/R repeater is device blind.  It will exactly repeat the I/R code from ANY device that is aimed at it.  No special programming of the remote control is required, except setting it to control your remote VCR.

If the I/R receiver (no antennae) is not blinking when you push the remote control  button four things are possible:

* The I/R receiver is not plugged in to a working AC outlet.
* The I/R receiver itself is not working.
* The I/R receiver is turned away from you (power cord toward you) so the internal I/R detector can't "see" the signal from the remote.
* The remote isn't working, but it sounds like you've shown that yours is. Try another remote control to be sure, just in case.
Until the I/R receiver is working other trouble shooting issues are mute points.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version