Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: all started when?  (Read 4487 times)

ispy

• Helpful Post Rating: -2
all started when?
« on: March 09, 2008, 07:58:32 AM »

hey eric here anyway a newbie in this field of home automation and just saying hello.
so i kind of fell into this when i revamped the home entertainment system, and figured it needed some security when my wife and i are not home (hope it helps my home insurance to drop, ill find out monday) i purchased basics off the x10 site and figure i'd give it a try, the install doesn't bother me but readn' all the trick stuff yall' doin with the software might be slightly tricky for an old contractor like my self to tackle, so i'll continue reading and asking questions time to time and i'll start with the basic, has anyone extended the xcam transformer wire?  my idea is it would be easier to hide and fish in wall without having to run recepticles(plugs) by each camera.
so i will come up with some more after i recieve my first shipment.
ive been involved in alot of projects and hobbies and would have never thought this would be fun, and now im very interested in it
more after ive read what is here and the other sites connected from this one. maybe my Roomba has a small spark to this for i read on a site that even the manufacture IRobot encourages to hack programs into the vacum(roomba) like sings, paints damn you
could have it bring drinks to you and there was a bunch more of ideas that it can perform.
take care and have fun.
 ispy

x10challanged

• Helpful Post Rating: 5
Re: all started when?
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2008, 10:55:36 AM »

Welcome ispy
I have been playing with the various components for about 6 weeks now.  Your idea about extending the transformer wire is interesting.  Let us know how it goes.  I am setting up 7 cams and running 12-2 with recepticles is something I would rather not do.  You are going into this with the right idea, it is inexpensive, pretty good security and seems modifications go easy. (of course this voids any warranty)  I am extending the camera antennas 3' today so I can mount them seperate from the actual camera and not loose signal when panning the ninja.  Practiced on one yesterday and got the set-up and mount figured out.
Good luck and there are alot of good people on this forum to help answer your questions.

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2008, 12:03:13 PM »

has anyone extended the xcam transformer wire?  my idea is it would be easier to hide and fish in wall without having to run recepticles(plugs) by each camera.

Welcome ispy
I have been playing with the various components for about 6 weeks now.  Your idea about extending the transformer wire is interesting.

You can use ordinary stereo extention cords to extend the cams power source. That said... there shouldn't be any reason why you can't just purchase the correct adapters/plugs (RadioShack) and solder up your own cords.

I would double check my locations with temporary set-ups first... before fishing wires.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2008, 12:12:52 PM by Dave_x10_L »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

ispy

• Helpful Post Rating: -2
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2008, 08:15:56 PM »

hey fellers thanx for the input and i did see where it looked as though the connections looked like an rca type but smaller.
yes i like doing electrical for residential and small comercial  but if there is ever an easier way i'll take it as long as saftey first and execution is possible i always said " lincoln logs, tinkertoys, and legos i was born to build".
chat soon when products arrive.
have fun and build your arss off (BYAO).
ems.
ps thankyou both for responding
i feel the same vibes now, as the only other site i chat on is Hurricane Motorsports my son and i are building a 1967 427SC cobra kit car and that has been pricey but alot of fun, and as a peace of mind that the x10 will help defending our project as we build and finish the car.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.