Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Green Switching  (Read 3116 times)

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Green Switching
« on: March 05, 2008, 06:06:21 AM »

I saw a "thing" on TV the other day, they called it a green switch. The basic concept was to consolidate devices that continue to use power even when turned OFF (like TVs or anything with a LED light) onto power strips. Then to plug that power strip into a module that could be remotely turned OFF.

They used a wiring set-up that was at least very similar to X10... and placed a master switch at the homes typical entry/exit. The idea being that as the last person leaving the home could turn all the power suckers OFF. And then the first person home would turn them back on.

I think it was Puck that first told me of a macro (AHP) he used to turn off lights when everyone was at work or school...which I think is a great idea in itself. But I think this idea takes that one step further.

But according to what I saw on TV.... there may be some real [power usage] savings here. This could even raise WAF. Does anyone have any idea how many watts are used by what devices when turned off... but still plugged in?
Home Automation is an always changing technology

JimC

• Helpful Post Rating: 41
Re: Green Switching
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2008, 06:20:58 AM »

_ _ ...  ..._ _

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Home Automation is an always changing technology

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2008, 09:02:49 AM »

Ah the dreaded Phantom loads!
Those of us Alternate energy users Know all to well of these devices!
There is a small inexpensive device which you can use to find these if your really into rooting these suckers out!
They now sell for 1/4 of the price I bought mine at and mine has saved me hundreds so far!
A "Kill A watt P4400" has a easy to read meter and will even show what an X10 module is using!
Leaving the device plugged into it for a hour show will display  a very good estimate of yearly consumption! ;)
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

medicdoc

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2008, 11:34:00 AM »

Tuiceman, I have always been interested in alternative energy. As I live at a State Park on the top of a Mountain, I have been telling every big wig, state rep, and even the governer that came through (My wife is the Big boss here and hate me always pushing this) here, that we should have windmills. Well I guess all my pushing finally paid off. Nikki got an email from her Park Planner (expensive word for someone who does nothing, but think of ways to improve the park) at the central office in Little Rock about hey the Big dogs are looking at windmills I think this is a great idea. Anyway I have a weather station up here for about 2 years now and forgot it stored data on my puter like every 8 seconds, wind, rain, temp, barometric pressure things of that sort. I emaled them all the data and they were suprised to see that we have an average 7-15 mph wind speed up here. Anyway thought you might get a kick out of this.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.