Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: AHP CM15A  (Read 9602 times)

Budro

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
AHP CM15A
« on: March 11, 2008, 02:38:18 PM »

I could use a little help as i have not used any X10 products before. I am planning to use a series of activeEye wireless motion sensors along with other inputs (contact closure) to actuate a remote device. I am familiar with PLC's and am wondering if i can program the AHP CM15A to do logic string sequencing with up to 8 inputs which when all true cause an output in a similar fashion as a PLC? Any information or comments on this kind of set up would be greatly appreciated. The system needs to be fairly bullet proof and trouble free. 

Budro

jtykal

• Helpful Post Rating: 12
  • It was working fine yesterday...
    • Casa Bella - Vacation Condo in Fort Myers, FL
Re: AHP CM15A
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2008, 03:10:00 PM »

The system needs to be fairly bullet proof and trouble free. 
Well, right up until that last line, I would have said "Yes, you can use AHP to do this."  ;)

Seriously, each of your 8 inputs (motions sensors, contact closures, etc.) could trigger their own macro in AHP to set a different flag, then invoke another macro that is conditional upon all 8 flags being set. When TRUE, the macro would actuate your remote device.  Sounds very do-able in AHP, but there is definitely some magic fairy dust that needs to be sprinkled on the CM15A to get it to reliably receive RF signals from the motions sensors and contact closures (if they use RF, like the DS10A). Also, macros can be a little touchy and need some fairy dust of their own to do exactly what you want them to do every time they run.

The good news is, there is LOTS of help available here in the forum, and if you get to the point where you have specific "how do I..." questions, the odds are pretty good that someone here has done the same thing...  Good luck!
AHP-CM15A(ext.ant)-SmartMacros-OnAlert-DoorMonitor(custom)-Win7

Budro

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2008, 03:43:58 PM »

JTYKAL, what i understand you to say is that the transceiver in the CM15A does not necessarily pick the wireless signals up with any reliability and also that the macros don't execute properly all the time. This system will have to run unattended and boot itself back up and come on line without faults after power loss. Comments?

Thanks for the help,

Budro

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2008, 03:48:37 PM »

.........a series of activeEye wireless motion sensors... other inputs (contact closure) to actuate a remote device. .... am wondering if i can program the AHP CM15A to do logic string sequencing with up to 8 inputs which when all true cause an output in a similar fashion as a PLC? ............. The system needs to be fairly bullet proof and trouble free. 

Your description of what you want to do... is vague and open-ended enough... I can't honestly say "yes.. I know that has been done" or "no... here will be a problem".

So... let me assure you that the CM15A interface... operating under AHP with the SmartMacros and OnAlert plug-in's, Has awesome logical control, particularly when coupled with a computer system. Many known modifications and work-arounds have most set-ups operating COMPLETELY wrinkle-free.

Or... if your trying to set-up some sort of alarm or alert system it should be fairly simple. Although... you may be able to do the same with an X10 security system. Without knowing what sort of "remote device" you want to actuate... or what "remote" means it's very hard to tell.

Home Automation is an always changing technology

Budro

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2008, 03:57:53 PM »

Dave, will the CM15A operate stand alone, without being connected to a computer, once it is programmed?

jtykal

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2008, 04:28:44 PM »

As Dave_x10_L suggests, AHP and the CM15A do work, but getting a system fully functional oftentimes requires, and I quote, "Many known modifications and work-arounds". This is where my somewhat cynical response comes from. In my experience, various challenges have turned X10 into more of a hobby than a plug & play solution. But it's a FUN hobby!  :D

The RF range of the CM15A is notoriously poor. However, there are various well-documented hardware mods (from very simple to somewhat complex) to greatly improve this. Similarly, macros are sometimes unpredictable, and adding things like time delays can make them work without explanation. (Search the forums for details.)

The CM15A requires a computer connection only if you are using the OnAlert plug-in to interface with security modules (like the MS10A or the DS10A). Otherwise, you should be able to load all of your macros to the CM15A and run standalone.

By all means, dive in, but do so with the knowledge that there's usually more effort required to make it all work than the flashy X10 web ads would have you believe...

Budro

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2008, 05:10:51 PM »

jtykal, thanks agin for the input. I have ordered the CM15A and motion sensor. When it arrives and I start to work with everything I am sure I will be posting agian. Stay Tuned.

Budro

HA Dave

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2008, 05:12:06 PM »

It's all true! Many (thousands of users) have done amazing (even futuristic things) with X10. But the more complex the set-up... the less plug-n-play it will be.

Once you reach a certain level of experience and understanding of X10... it can seem extremely simple. But gaining that understanding... FOR SOME... have involved some frustration.

My X10 set-up (including the macro's) is completely reliable. I do run a computer 24/7 (in runs silently, tucked away in my basement office)... and I re-boot it about once a month. I have considered automating the computer reboot... but I haven't done that yet. Power failures (I have had a handful) have never been a problem.

I am NOT insulted if my X10 Home Automation is referred to as a "hobby". However the automation I enjoy provides much more than most hobby's. It really is more than just hardcore solutions to problems too. I consider Home Automation more of a life style.

jtykal

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2008, 06:10:42 PM »

I am NOT insulted if my X10 Home Automation is referred to as a "hobby".

Dave_x10_L -
If anything I said in this forum was interpreted as an insult to you or anyone else, then I am truly sorry. I have a tremendous amount of respect for you, Tuicemen, steven_r, and the countless other regular contributors to this forum. Your collective enthusiasm is infectious! My referring to X10 as a "hobby" was in no way intended to trivialize home automation or insult anyone who takes it more seriously than I do.

I've been using a DS7000 Security system and a CM11A running simple timers for years, but I'm a relative newbie when it comes to more advanced home automation. I was hooked by X10's ad for OnAlert and AHP being able to use my existing door sensors as triggers for home automation macros. I went into this new frontier blinded by my very positive experience with the DS7000, where everything just worked with no "tweaking". While I continue to be challenged -- and yes, sometimes frustrated -- along the way, I'm enjoying my experience with the CM15A and AHP, and I'm very much looking forward to reaching that "certain level of experience and understanding of X10" where things start to seem simple.  ;)  I hope to be able to give back as much as I receive from this group over the coming years.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2008, 06:31:39 PM »

Dave; I have seen your short video and your setup is AWSOME!

HA Dave

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2008, 04:15:04 AM »

My referring to X10 as a "hobby" was in no way intended to trivialize home automation or insult anyone who takes it more seriously than I do.

Thanks jtykal I wasn't offended. And as far as any other regulars... we are all fully grown. Our skin should be thick enough to handle any well meant comment... as I am sure yours were.

And with 39 posts of your own... your well on the way to becoming a regular yourself! I like your posts... they are well written, accurate, and informative. Keep up the good work.

Dave; I have seen your short video and your setup is AWSOME!

THANKS  Brian H

s0urc3f0ur

• Helpful Post Rating: 9
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2008, 04:59:29 PM »

Our skin should be thick enough to handle any well meant comment...

I have the cracks in my ceiling to prove it
 ;D
X10 has brought me closer to my inner geek! But it has aslo made my wife look at me funny!

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2008, 06:03:55 PM »

...The CM15A requires a computer connection only if you are using the OnAlert plug-in to interface with security modules (like the MS10A or the DS10A). Otherwise, you should be able to load all of your macros to the CM15A and run standalone....
Also email and some camera functions require the computer to be on.
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.