Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: AHP And CM11A  (Read 19973 times)

Ox40

• Helpful Post Rating: -1
AHP And CM11A
« on: March 13, 2008, 04:53:17 PM »

I noticed on the website that Active Home (the original one, not pro) offered a patch to allow AH to run via a CM11A thru USB.  This is a formal request for a patch that will allow AHP to use the CM11A via USB or COM.  If you are really in it for the technology and not just to make money by making a perfectly good, brand new product obsolete, you will find a way to make it work.

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
Re: AHP And CM11A
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2008, 05:03:50 PM »

There is no patch.  You need to get a USB-COM converter cable to use AH/CM11A under Windows XP if you want to keep using it.  The other option is to upgrade to to AHP/CM15A. See http://www.x10.com/activehomepro/activehome-pro.htm  for more info.
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

Ox40

« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2008, 05:49:58 PM »

No, that was not the question. I have a CM11A, brand new. I just got it. AHP can not use it. I am requesting that X-10 programmers find a way to keep their customers by providing backward compatibility. I do not wish to purchase yet another module to replace one that I already have. I'm sure it is possible to do. I have a computer running Windows 2000 Pro with a CM11A connected thru the COM port. I simply want AHP to work with the CM11A. I don't care how.

Dan Lawrence

« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2008, 06:00:32 PM »

X10 USA is not interested in making AHP backward compatible with the CM11A Serial interface.  AHP was specificy written for the CM15A USB interface.   Want to use AHP, use the CM15 at comes with it.

How did you get AHP without the CM15A?  X10 will not sell it alone, it's a package deal.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2008, 06:02:14 PM by Dan Lawrence »

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2008, 07:59:51 PM »

Ox40   there isn't much chance of it happening!
The CM11A can only do 1/2 the functions of the CM15A!
And nobody is going to want stripped down software,besides all the bugs aren't worked out yet ::)
Adding support for the CM11A would only add more issues! ::) :(
Not happy with AH? There are some very reasonable alternatives out there! ;)
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Dan Lawrence

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2008, 08:49:52 PM »

Ox40   there isn't much chance of it happening!
The CM11A can only do 1/2 the functions of the CM15A!
And nobody is going to want stripped down software,besides all the bugs aren't worked out yet ::)
Adding support for the CM11A would only add more issues! ::) :(
Not happy with AH? There are some very reasonable alternatives out there! ;)

What bugs aren't worked out yet?  AHP by itself is stable (3.204 is the last version of straight AHP) and even though it's almost 2 years old, it works fine.

Ox40

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2008, 09:19:39 PM »

Tuicemen: I have tried EVERY home automation software out there (the ones that I could find. Im looking for free or cheap too *smile*). None of them are at ALL acceptable. The only half decent one I have found is Mister House which has a horrid interface!

Dan Lawrence

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2008, 10:51:52 PM »

Don't like AHP?

If you don't need cameras, and only control modules, AHP does the job.  X10 makes add-ons for AHP for security, and other things, but if you are converting from AH, AHP will do everything that AH did, plus more.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2008, 09:05:16 AM »

Dan Lawrence I never said AHP wasn't working, you your self have pointed out some bugs!
Bugs are little things  that you'd rather not live with!
It's now February 6, 2008 and no news as to any upgrade to AHP (and if possible a firmware upgrade to the CM15A for the new DST dates)
One more "bug" to be fixed: 

"Error:  An error has occurred while
communicating with your AH USB interface. To
make sure that your timers and macros
continue to run, click OK to download your
settings to the interface"

This pops up every once in a while.  You simply clear the interface and redownload all timers and macros.
An error poping up is stable? I could go on!  ::)  ;) :D

Ox40Have you looked at HomeDomination? Many AHP users are\have moved on to this! A fancy looking interface does not make a good program although it makes it easier to over look its faults As Dan does! ;)

Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Ox40

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2008, 10:26:13 AM »

About the interface - no, pretty does not make good. But ugly does not make good either.  AHP interface is great, from what ive seen. AH is ok, but looks pretty Windows 95-y.  The Mister House home screen looks _ok_ but the rest of it is just pure crap. I know that it doesnt have to look good to work good, but if I am going to have tablet computers sitting around the house - I want them to look good. Not just crappy text that is disorganized and impossible to navigate.
You guys are all getting this wrong. "Active Home" was the old one. It worked with the CM11A. "Active Home Pro" is the new one. I simply want to use AHP with the older interface. And for whoever said that the CM11A could only do 1/2 of the things that the new interface can - that is a load of crap!  A CM11A + Wireless Transceiver Module = the new Active Home Pro module. I have the prior, not the latter.

Walt2

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 28
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2008, 03:38:14 PM »

I am requesting that X-10 programmers find a way to keep their customers by providing backward compatibility.

They do.  AHP can read in, and convert, a user configuration file made by AH.
* Sears Home Control System, Radio Shack Plug 'n Power, NuTone, Stanley LightMaker, BSR, HomeLink.
* Tecmar Device Master, CP290 (LightHouse), CM11A (AH), CM14A (AH2), CM15A (AHPro).

Walt2

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 28
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2008, 03:42:51 PM »

And for whoever said that the CM11A could only do 1/2 of the things that the new interface can - that is a load of crap!  A CM11A + Wireless Transceiver Module = the new Active Home Pro module. I have the prior, not the latter.

Sorry to tell you, but they are all absolutely correct.

The old CM11A is totally incapable of doing most of the functions a CM15A can do.  Just one example, is conditional macros. 

That is just one reason why it would be ludicrous to attempt to use AHP with a CM11a.  Most of the functions available in AHP would need to be totally disabled.   And with that, a reduced function AHP would be of no advantage over simply using AH.
* Sears Home Control System, Radio Shack Plug 'n Power, NuTone, Stanley LightMaker, BSR, HomeLink.
* Tecmar Device Master, CP290 (LightHouse), CM11A (AH), CM14A (AH2), CM15A (AHPro).

Ox40

« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2008, 10:57:38 AM »

Sorry to tell you, but they are all absolutely correct.
The old CM11A is totally incapable of doing most of the functions a CM15A can do.  Just one example, is conditional macros. 
That is only true if you are using it as a stand-alone module. I have a home automation server which handles the processing.  Also, the extra storage space on the new Active Home Pro module is of no real importance to those of us who have a server.  So far the CM15A has nothing over the CM11A.  From what I read "The New Active Home Interface can monitor ALL 256 house codes."  SO CAN THE CM11A!!! The inability to monitor more than one house code in AH was a programatic limitation, not a physical limit.  I have found no real reason that the CM11A should not work with AHP.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2008, 02:44:44 PM »

For the price of AHP (all plug-ins and the CM15A most times on sale for $49), why not spring for it?
You can still utilize your CM11A as a backup, although I doubt you'll want to go back to it! ;)
You'll soon see there are more things you can do with the CM15A then the CM11A if you'll use them all is another topic! ;)
Asking X10 to make AHP compatible with the older interface is like asking Microsoft to make Vista work with older PCs (it ain't going to happen)! ::)
And if by some slim chance they did you can bet it wouldn't be cheeper then $49 ;)
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2008, 03:15:06 PM »

...Asking X10 to make AHP compatible with the older interface is like asking Microsoft to make Vista work with older PCs (it ain't going to happen)!...
I was trying to think of a good analogy and that pretty much sums it up. My CM11A is in a box in box somewhere. I wouldn't consider going back to it. Someone said the CM11A does 1/2 of what the CM15A. I would say it can't do a 1/4 of what the CM15A can.

BTW... Someone asked and I didn't catch your response. How did you end up with a copy of AHP and not the CM15A that comes with it?
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)
Pages: [1] 2 3

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.