Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: HouseCode/UnitCode - can I step on the Security Devices code(s)???  (Read 23271 times)

PajamaGuy

• Helpful Post Rating: 32

I've almost run out of UnitCodes on my central HouseCode -

My DS7000 HouseCode is "L".  Many of my macros, that use registered security devices as triggers, also installed themselves as having an "L" address.  At the L11 address, there are 9 macros (all using security devices as triggers)  Some DS10A's and a couple of MS10A's installed themselves as "L"s.

I'm trying to keep all interior lights on the "L" HouseCode so that my better ˝ doesn't have to contend with changing the HC on the PalmPads.  6 of the 16 "L" UnitCodes are used by either sensors or macros - My understanding is that I have no control over the addresses those items assign themselves.

My question is this - If I assign Lamp, Appliance, Socket, or Switch modules to those addresses, does anything get screwed up?  And if so, what?

And, for instance, if I delete the 3 macros using the "L9" address, then install a Lamp Module on "L9", then recreate the 3 macros (using security devices as triggers), will they avoid using "L9" as their address?

If it doesn't matter, then I'll not worry.  If it does matter, one might think of adding an entry to the WiKi - When you want to keep a HouseCode clear, and not allow sensors & macros to intrude, at first setup completely fill the HouseCode with dummy modules assigned to each of the UnitCodes.  - and will that work?  ... is it worth the effort?

Since it appears that sensors & macros that assign addresses to themselves do so randomly, it might be worth it to populate several HouseCodes with dummys?

What do the experts think?
PajamaGuy
Win-7 - Dell XPS -Automation
VA12a on a dedicated desktop - Video
XTB-IIR & V572RF32

Remote via LogMeIn (FREE) and Ignition

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
Re: HouseCode/UnitCode - can I step on the Security Devices code(s)???
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2008, 10:33:57 AM »

PajamaGuy Actually you can have some control over what house code\unit code is assigned to security modules! I keep all mine on H! ;)  Tips and Helpful Suggestions(ON ALERT) tip #3
As I AHP seems to use the Phantom module approach to enable security devices I would try and avoid any other modules on that which is assigned a security module! I did have macros and phantoms assigned on H and they corresponded with the modules for testing (just triggered sound files for each security module)! Although in my tests I never had any issues I felt it was best to keep that House code clear of other devices and macros! ;)
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

PajamaGuy

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2008, 11:03:32 AM »

I knew you'd have answers!  Thanks.....but...
Create a macro which turns "ON" M1 have your sensor trigger it

How do you control the address assigned to the macro that uses a sensor as a trigger?  Or can you?
PajamaGuy
XTB-IIR & V572RF32

PajamaGuy

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2008, 11:07:50 AM »

... and, regarding the DS7000, do you create & force the addressing of the security sensor in AHP and THEN register it with the DS7000 console?  Or does it matter?
PajamaGuy
XTB-IIR & V572RF32

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2008, 11:28:31 AM »

I knew you'd have answers!  Thanks.....but...
Create a macro which turns "ON" M1 have your sensor trigger it

How do you control the address assigned to the macro that uses a sensor as a trigger?  Or can you?
Same way assign the code then specify the sensor. Although from all evidents I see once it is told to use a security device it no longer is associated with the address!
... and, regarding the DS7000, do you create & force the addressing of the security sensor in AHP and THEN register it with the DS7000 console? Or does it matter?
Doesn't matter! ;)
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

JMac

• Helpful Post Rating: 23
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2008, 01:11:28 PM »

You can assign the security modules with desired House/Unit codes as follows:
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
First determine House & Unit Code desired by examining “Tools” and
“Find other Computers”

Right click on the module to edit
Left click “Edit Module”
Change “Name of New Module”

Left click on “down” arrow of module window,
Click just to left of “House Code”, which will display
“House Code” and Unit Code” 
Change as desired.

Click on “down” arrow of module window and use the other “down” arrow to make sure proper icon and module name displayed.
Click “OK”

Recheck “Tools” and “Find other Computers” to see if  House & Unit Code are correct.

THEN,  Install module.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Let me know if you don't understand this.........

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2008, 02:59:59 PM »

JMac:
All this is explained in the link I provided !
Tips and Helpful Suggestions(ON ALERT) tip #3
of which PajamaGuy seemed to have grasped! ;)
The reason I never linked to it directly was to show there are other tips for ON ALERT.
Everyone: learn to link to info already supplied info in the forums!
It will save you lots of wasted time typing already supplied info, It will also give credit where it is due!
Not sure how to do this then Read:
Topic: The Finer Art of Posting to the Forums  (Read 4781 times)   < yes that's a link! ;)
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

JMac

• Helpful Post Rating: 23
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2008, 04:19:23 PM »

Sorry about that - my "cut and paste" was too quick.....

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2008, 04:55:02 PM »

JMac not a problem!
Just tring to save some users some time and teach the new ones to Fish! ;)
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

PajamaGuy

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2008, 12:04:06 PM »

...so Mr. Tuicemen, would I be correct in saying:

1. The DS7000 doesn't care what addresses AHP uses for Security Sensors or Security Remotes.  (so long as they aren't duplicates)
2. The only use of the HouseCode setting on the DS7000 is to determine the set of Lamp Modules to flash during an alarm.
3. The only use of the UnitCode setting on the DS7000 is to determine which Lamp Module(s) (and horns) will flash upon arming and/or respond to the Security Lights buttons on the keyfobs and Security Remotes.
4. Changing and reinstalling Security Sensors & remotes on AHP won't effect their operation/installation on the DS7000.

If all that's true, I suggest it become a notice at the top of the WiKi and the Tips.  I can now re-plan my AHP architecture and create/reserve blocks of addresses for rooms and or module types.  Many thanks to you & JMac for the info and instructions.  Without the experience, it probably wouldn't have mattered, but I wish I'd have know it before I started installing.

One last more question:  Are there any addresses that are "stronger" or more likely to get through to an outlet?  I have a Lamp Module that works from a PalmPad and a SR731 repeater, but not from the PC & CM15A.  The CM15A seems able to reach all other sockets inside & outside of the house, just not this particular one. 
PajamaGuy
XTB-IIR & V572RF32

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2008, 12:41:12 PM »

PajamaGuy: You are correct the DS7000 doesn't talk to the CM15A!
So you could even put the sensors ont the same address in AHP the DS7000 wouldn't care but AHP would most likely!
The House code on the DS7000 is only for the units to flash and for security lighting.
Changing the security modules settings in AHP won't affect the DS7000 unless you remove the batteries from the sensor and the DS7000 loses contact with it!
One last more question:  Are there any addresses that are "stronger" or more likely to get through to an outlet?  I have a Lamp Module that works from a PalmPad and a SR731 repeater, but not from the PC & CM15A.  The CM15A seems able to reach all other sockets inside & outside of the house, just not this particular one.
That question is probably best answered by JeffVolp as he has spend a good bit of time testing PL signals!
Puck may also bea ble to answer you as wel, as for me I'd only be guessing as I don't recall ever reading anything about that!l!
I'll link to this post in the ON ALERT tips thread! ;)
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Puck

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 171
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2008, 01:41:02 PM »

Are there any addresses that are "stronger" or more likely to get through to an outlet?

I don't know about "stronger", but since Housecode "M" is represented by "0000", then I could see it being the most likely one to get corrupted by line noise (or false triggering).

Like Tuicemen stated, JeffVolp could probably provide the most information on your question.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.