Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: FRAUD, Credit Card - "VIP TUNE LIMASSOL"  (Read 12222 times)

andrewroz

• Helpful Post Rating: 3
FRAUD, Credit Card - "VIP TUNE LIMASSOL"
« on: March 30, 2008, 06:20:10 PM »

X10 and SmartHome users,
Please Check your Credit Card Statements for a fraudulent charge listed as "VIP TUNE LIMASSOL" or something similar, on or around the date of July 10th, 2007.  The amount should be $19.99 or $29.99.

I just discovered this charge while reviewing my statements for tax purposes.  I couldn't remember this purchase and in searching the internet I found that a lot of people had this fraudulent charge!  From my research, there seems to be a possible link among people who have purchased x10 or SmartHome products, as have I.

Most Credit Card companies don't allow you to dispute a charge that's older than a few months.  When I called Chase, my credit card issuer, today on 3/30/08, they said 6 months is the limit.  But when I persisted and told them that many people were hit with this, they said they could transfer me to the security department.  Security didn't necessarily say they're reversing the charge.  Only that it's now in dispute.  They DID cancel my account and issue me a new card, which is good.

Please post here if you find this charge and let us know the details as well as whether you recently bought any home automation products.

-Andrew

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: FRAUD, Credit Card - "VIP TUNE LIMASSOL"
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2008, 06:25:19 PM »

Yes I found it on both of my Credit Cards when it was first broadcast on  Coccoontech's forums. Was awhile ago glad you may still have a claim to get it fixed.
http://www.cocoontech.com/index.php?showtopic=8138&hl=

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2008, 08:05:55 PM »

Yes I found it on both of my Credit Cards when it was first broadcast on  Coccoontech's forums. Was awhile ago glad you may still have a claim to get it fixed.
http://www.cocoontech.com/index.php?showtopic=8138&hl=

A quick Google search for " Coccoontech's forums" yielded nothing.   I checked my old bank statements (our old bank was bought by PNC Bank as of last September) and my single credit card's statements and no charge for "VIP TUNE LIMASSOL" either in July or August of 2007.
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2008, 06:46:51 AM »

I just checked. The link I gave works and finds the thread.
Dan I am glad you where not one of the ones that got charged.

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2008, 07:00:41 PM »

Thanks.  It's a bit odd this topic showed up now and the latest post on the Coccoontech's forums was July of 2007.  If the possible fraud occurred last July, why wait almost 8 months to being posting here about it?
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

andrewroz

• Helpful Post Rating: 3
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2008, 12:48:41 AM »

Dan, I started this thread here now because I didn't discover the fraud until last week when I was working on my taxes.  I wanted to help others who might have been hit by the same fraud.

-Andrew

JimC

• Helpful Post Rating: 41
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2008, 06:43:45 AM »

Andrew,

Thanks for starting this thread. I, for one, thought you made it clear in your original post as to why you were only posting now. It certainly brings into focus the need to review those credit card statements closely each time they are received.
_ _ ...  ..._ _

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2008, 06:45:35 AM »

Andrew. You are not the only person who just caught the charges or so I have read in other forums. Thanks for bringing it back into the spotlight.
I gave you a helpful.

Walt2

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 28
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2008, 07:32:39 AM »

Sorry, but you all hit upon one of my pet peeves.

Once the credit card banks realized that these charges were all fraud, IMHO, they had a duty and responsibility to go through, and remove the charges from every account.

The credit card banks' decision to leave the charges on accounts, unless the account holder actually files a report, is basically the bank becoming an accomplice to the fraud.
* Sears Home Control System, Radio Shack Plug 'n Power, NuTone, Stanley LightMaker, BSR, HomeLink.
* Tecmar Device Master, CP290 (LightHouse), CM11A (AH), CM14A (AH2), CM15A (AHPro).

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2008, 10:17:49 AM »

They don't care in my opinion.
I has a problem with Home Depot reserving an emergency generator charge 24 times. Yes 24. The CC company said since it was a temporary hold and not an actual charge. Nothing would or could be done. Though those reseves; stopped me from using the card completely; as it was technically at the credit limit. That was after I was able to decipher the foreign language used by my CC representative.

Walt2

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 28
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2008, 12:15:24 PM »

They don't care in my opinion.
I has a problem with Home Depot reserving an emergency generator charge 24 times.

I think the difference here, is that most Home Depot charges are valid.  You, unfortunately, had a problem that was unique to  you.

However, all "VIP TUNE LIMASSOL" charges are known to be bogus.  No individual research on each account is needed.

BTW, most restaurants automatically do a "hold" when you use your CC to pay for a meal.  The "hold" is for the likelihood that you will be adding a tip to the CC receipt.  Car rental places place a "hold" for the what they believe will be the full final bill.   If you are that close to your credit limit, you really need to monitor these "holds" very closely.
* Sears Home Control System, Radio Shack Plug 'n Power, NuTone, Stanley LightMaker, BSR, HomeLink.
* Tecmar Device Master, CP290 (LightHouse), CM11A (AH), CM14A (AH2), CM15A (AHPro).

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2008, 12:45:24 PM »

It was actually their web store not a physical one. Also 24 X ~ $600 is lots of reservations. ::)

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.