Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Programming new devices  (Read 17688 times)

Starbuck

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
Programming new devices
« on: March 30, 2008, 10:30:21 AM »

The instructions for the icon remote are cryptic at best when trying to add or learn the functions of a remote for an unsupported device.
Additionally I thought I could create a single mode button for say movies, that would hold a macro for that mode so that when pressed, The plasma would power on, the DVD would power on, the receiver would power on & switch to DVD mode the X-10 lights would dim, & then the remote would pull up the DVD menu.

I can't see how this is acheived.

I was also surprised to find that there isn't an icon for X-10 under devices.

I think that it would be interesting if they would allow firmware updates via the IR port.  Every Laptop PC has an IR port, or offer a USB to IR adaptor to facilitate this as I would like to create icons for channels & devices such as my media PC that are not listed to use as aux choices since I don't have a satellite or a VCR anymore. Also it would allow new icons to be added.

Anyone given any thought to future memory upgrades?  Give the Iconremote more memory so that we could build out more functionality?

4plus3vette

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Re: Programming new devices
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2008, 01:42:31 PM »

Hey Starbuck,

This manual is not too different from most manuals these days.  You can learn buttons from your other remotes and then learn multiple inputs from many other remotes for the same button on the ICON remote.  That turns the plain old "Learn" into a "Macro."  Basically you go into to the learn section and learn the first key, say, the power on button from your Plasma, then the screen on the ICON will update and you can hit the button called macro (or something like that), then press OK and the screen will tell you that it is ready to learn another key.  Now press the power button for the DVD to learn that button.  Repeat this pattern for each new input that you want this particular key on the ICON to perform.

Here is where it gets funny - the X10 stuff.  First of all, the ICON remote only sends out infrared (IR) signal.  It does not send out the typical RF (radio frequency) that most of your X10 stuff uses. In order to use the ICON remote out of the box to control X10 stuff, you need to use an Infrared Controller (IR543).  Yup, that is quite a bummer for most all X10 people that buy this remote.  When you get this unit, then go into your device codes and change the code for, say, AUX1 to 0998 - that is the code for the X10 IR stuff.  I think channel up is on, channel down is off, volume up is bright, volume down is dim, use the numbers for the module number, and the house code is set on the IR543.

Here is a twist that I have not gotten to work yet and I am anxiously awaiting X10modder's response to one of my posts on this site.  He has presented a mod to the ICON remote in which you soldier in a small board from a different X10 learning remote (like the UR74A).  This is an easy mod because X10modder's instructions are great - if you have a spare UR series remote.  My problem is that when I did it, it did not work for me.  I should point out that he says to set the device code to 0999 for the RF signals.  My main problem here, other than it did not work for me, was what house code is the unit set to?  My house is set up on housecode J.  I changed everything over to housecode A to see if it would still work, but no luck.

I agree that it would be nice to have an icon for the X10 unit.  There is an identical remote to this under the Philips name (http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.process?Product=4168420) .  So, if it is not truly an X10 remote, then it makes a little more sense why that ICON is not available. 

As far a memory goes, I do not know how much this thing has onboard, but I will tell you that I have programmed a ton of stuff into it and have not hit that wall yet.  This is in sharp contrast to the UR74A which seemed to have a very little amount of memory for what I was using it for.

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2008, 02:03:47 PM »

............. There is an identical remote to this under the Philips name (http://www.jr.com/JRProductPage.process?Product=4168420) .  So, if it is not truly an X10 remote, then it makes a little more sense why that ICON is not available. 

Much more likely.... X10 made the Philips remote. X10 is actually one of (if not the) largest manufactures of home theater type remotes.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

4plus3vette

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2008, 11:49:42 AM »

Much more likely.... X10 made the Philips remote. X10 is actually one of (if not the) largest manufactures of home theater type remotes.

Perhaps you are right Dave_x10_L.  I do not know a lot about which companies manufacture which remotes, but if you go on to x10's webpage for the IR MiniController (IR543) - http://www.x10.com/automation/ir543_s.html, they have the following note:
Note: If you own an X10 Universal remote, you will not need to use an IR543-S Infrared Mini Controller to receive commands from the Remote - the Transceiver Module (TM751 or RR501) does this for you and has the added advantage of working through walls.

If however you already own some other brand of Universal remote, it might have X10 IR codes in its library. To control X10 modules with this remote you will need to purchase the IR543 Infrared Mini Controller. The IR543-S receives X10 IR codes and retransmits them over you existing house wiring to be received by X10 modules. This lets you control lights an appliances from your existing Universal Remote (providing it has X10 IR codes in its library).

X10 makes it sound like if the remote has X10 IR capabilities, then it is not an X10 Universal Remote.

P.S.  When they say "and has the added advantage of working through walls," they are referring to RF signals, not IR.

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2008, 03:06:55 PM »

X10 makes it sound like if the remote has X10 IR capabilities, then it is not an X10 Universal Remote.

P.S.  When they say "and has the added advantage of working through walls," they are referring to RF signals, not IR.

True... all true.

For the most part.. high-end remote controls only have the the IR capabilities. Hence... the need for the IR543 (P.S. there is also an IR module that will handle ALL house codes... instead of just ONE like the IR543). I use the IR543 myself with my Harmony (an old 628) in my Home Theater. I also use an X10 universal remote "just because/for the RF capabilities". I keep it in a drawer upstairs so if the wife forgets a light on in the theater... she can just push the "X10 all OFF" button (which is also only one house code).

The problem (?) with remote controls are they don't remain static. What was once available... can no-longer be found.. or doesn't work with newer devices. And unless your currently researching the available remotes.... it can be impossible to know whats out there. Sorry if my post confused any issues.

I use several different, and different kinds of remotes (including the Invoca Voice Activated Remote). I am currently trying to Configure my BVC set-up to use its IR capabilities to control my living room HT set-up (via AHP macros) based on time and chair position.... see my YouTube, Automated Chair Video.. as well as voice commands.

I don't think.... there is a one "perfect" remote.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2009, 12:55:18 AM by Dave_x10_L »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.