Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Macro newbie question  (Read 6846 times)

KYSDADDY

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
Macro newbie question
« on: May 07, 2008, 09:42:13 AM »

Sorry if I missed this in the forum but I have a simple question...
I have set up a macro to turn off lights in a room after 10 minutes. It works fine if I turn on the lights using AHP but if the switch is activated manually the macro does not trigger.
what am I missing?

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
Re: Macro newbie question
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2008, 10:00:01 AM »

The switch is only manually turning on the light. It does not send an X10 signal over the line so the macro isn't triggered.
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

KYSDADDY

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2008, 10:20:25 AM »

Ok,
I've got that but what I need is a way to make it work.
Is there a way for the switch to trigger the macro?

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2008, 11:09:24 AM »

...Is there a way for the switch to trigger the macro?
Not with a standard X10 wall switch. You would need some sort of two way switch. They're not cheap.

There are a few tricks that have been discussed elsewhere on the forum such as using a stick on switch to turn on the light.
The cleverest idea that I've seen and it works really well for closets is to use the light sensing option of a MS13A or a MS16A to trigger a shut off macro. I haven't found where I saw it so hopefully someone else will post a link for you.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2008, 11:12:13 AM by steven r »
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

Puck

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 171

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2008, 11:41:31 AM »

[TTA TIP] 1½-Way Status Reporting [Positive LOAD Feedback Loop!]
Thanks Puck.
So as not to scare KYSDADDY, the example in the link above I think is a bit of overkill for his application. The basic idea is the same but he would only need one macro that triggered when it detected light, however.

I'm about to apply to idea for my closet light when I get some more sensors.

KYSDADDY

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2008, 12:21:47 PM »

This is interesting and depressing. :(
All I am trying to do is turn of lights after a 10 minute period (whenever they get turned on even with the switch)
Something tells me that I am making this tooooo complicated as I can't imagine that I am the only father that gets tired of asking "who left the lights on"?

Noam

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 51
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2008, 02:04:02 PM »

This is interesting and depressing. :(
All I am trying to do is turn of lights after a 10 minute period (whenever they get turned on even with the switch)
Something tells me that I am making this tooooo complicated as I can't imagine that I am the only father that gets tired of asking "who left the lights on"?

I hope this summary helps you:
The problem you run into is that a standard X-10 wall switch doesn't send it's status or any other commands when you turn it on manually. Here is a summary of the options posted in this thread, as well as some of my own:
1) Replace the switch with a two-way or Smarthome switch that DOES send a command when you turn it on manually.
2) Use a stick-a-switch to send the signal to turn on the light, and also trigger the macro to turn it off.
3) Use a motion detector to trigger the "off in 10 minutes" macro. The day/night sensor will sense that the light is on (room is bright), and can activate the macro to turn the light off 10 minutes later.
4) Use a motion detector to turn the light on and off.  If you set it to turn the light on when it senses motion in the room, and turn it off after 10 minutes of inactivity, then you should never need to turn the light on with the switch.

KYSDADDY

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2008, 04:55:58 PM »

Thanks for the info.
Chas

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.