Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: video receiver cable length  (Read 6998 times)

yug1958

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
video receiver cable length
« on: April 16, 2008, 12:09:15 PM »

I am setting up a x10 camera in an area that is slightly out of range and poor line of sight from the video receiver. I was planning to relocate the receiver outside the bldg. under a overhang, closer to the camera with a better line of sight. My question is : do I need a special video cable to extend the receiver or can I use a simple standard video cable with RCA jacks. I wish to extend the receiver approx. 75 ft. away from the monitoring computer and was wondering if there would be issues running that long of a cable.

Puck

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 171
Re: video receiver cable length
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2008, 12:22:48 PM »

I am setting up a x10 camera in an area that is slightly out of range and poor line of sight from the video receiver. I was planning to relocate the receiver outside the bldg. under a overhang, closer to the camera with a better line of sight. My question is : do I need a special video cable to extend the receiver or can I use a simple standard video cable with RCA jacks. I wish to extend the receiver approx. 75 ft. away from the monitoring computer and was wondering if there would be issues running that long of a cable.

You should have no issues with the length. Just take care in the routing of the wire to help prevent picking up noise for other sources (particularly power lines). Standard RCA video cables do not have the best shielding, so try to avoid running the video cable parallel to other wires.

yug1958

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
Re: video receiver cable length
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2008, 04:06:40 PM »

thank you for this reassurance

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.