Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: onalert with pc off?  (Read 24704 times)

imloggedin

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
onalert with pc off?
« on: May 05, 2008, 12:31:33 PM »

will onalert still protect your home with the pc off that its connected to? will it still sound a powerhorn and flash lights or whatever?

Puck

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 171
Re: onalert with pc off?
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2008, 01:48:04 PM »

will onalert still protect your home with the pc off that its connected to? will it still sound a powerhorn and flash lights or whatever?

All OnAlert macros must be run from the PC, they cannot be downloaded to the Interface. So with the PC off, all OnAlert macros will not exist.

imloggedin

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2008, 02:41:03 PM »

ive had a sales person tell me that and tell me that it does work and will download to the interface. now i dont know which to believe. your saying if the pc is shut off the security system is rendered useless?

Puck

• Advanced Member
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2008, 02:51:12 PM »

ive had a sales person tell me that and tell me that it does work and will download to the interface.

There is a high probability that this sales person is not an user.  ;)

your saying if the pc is shut off the security system is rendered useless?

With the PC off, OnAlert is non-existant (useless). Now you mentioned "Security System"... does your Security System consist of more than just ActiveHome Pro w/OnAlert?

imloggedin

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2008, 03:04:07 PM »

it doesnt consist of anything yet. they keep telling me that if the smart macros are saved to the interface you can turn the PC off.

Puck

• Advanced Member
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2008, 03:19:38 PM »

it doesnt consist of anything yet.

You made a good decision to come here first and ask questions for verification.

they keep telling me that if the smart macros are saved to the interface you can turn the PC off.

Smart Macros (generally) will download and run from the interface so that the PC can be turned off. Smart Macros that use security devices via OnAlert will not download to the interface. I say generally, because there are some tasks that Smart Macros can perform that must have the PC connected  & on and therefore cannot be downloaded to the interface. These are obvious tasks such as sending an email for example.

imloggedin

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2008, 03:25:39 PM »

What i want to do is have onalert as my security. Say i have 4 motion sensors and 4 window/door sensors, i want 2 of the motion sensors and 4 of the doors to be armed at night as "home arm", and all of the sensors to be armed as "away arm". i want it to set off a powerhorn if they are tripped and email me. obviously this can all be setup in onalert, and obviously it wont email me if the computer isnt plugged in, but will it sound the powerhorn still?

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2008, 03:54:13 PM »

ive had a sales person tell me that and tell me that it does work and will download to the interface.
There is a high probability that this sales person is not an user.  ;)
You can say that again!
If X10 made their marketing and support teams actively use their products in real world situations for a few weeks, I think things might change but then I'm an optimist.
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

Puck

• Advanced Member
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2008, 04:11:45 PM »

obviously this can all be setup in onalert, ...

Yes

...and obviously it wont email me if the computer isnt plugged in, ...

Correct

...but will it sound the powerhorn still?

No.

imloggedin

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2008, 04:17:18 PM »

lol what good is onalert then. PC's are far from stable. i dont have a land line and dont plan on getting one. i do need some sort of alert from an x10 device. this would have been the perfect way to do it, and they still say it is...
here they are lie'ing to me about it.

Puck

• Advanced Member
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2008, 04:35:27 PM »

lol what good is onalert then. PC's are far from stable.

Very true, but you can run a background program that ensures AHP does not hang and restarts it if it does. There are various watchdog programs available (somewhere on the forum here I posted a link to a free one that I use.)

Without a land-line phone, this is a good alternate. Use a UPS and a watchdog program for increased reliability.

here they are lie'ing to me about it.

I wouldn't say they were lying... that would imply they knew what they were talking about.  ;)
« Last Edit: May 05, 2008, 04:52:14 PM by Puck »

imloggedin

« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2008, 05:21:28 PM »

they advertise that activehome pro can store the macros on the interface... is this true? is it only onalert that cant do it? this would seem very very dumb if its the case.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2008, 06:10:37 PM »

they advertise that activehome pro can store the macros on the interface... is this true? is it only onalert that cant do it? this would seem very very dumb if its the case.
When smartmacros was released this was the case!
With additional plug-ins it has been able to create smartmacros that can e-mail you capture video to your hard drive, remote conect and view cams via internet al of which you can't do without the PC running!
On Alert isn't the only plug-in that needs the PC to be running to work! :(
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2008, 08:33:06 PM »

On Alert isn't the only plug-in that needs the PC to be running to work! :(

I really hesitated about running a PC 24/7 myself. But because I am BVC user.... the PC has to be running for my BVC setup to work.

Now I am HOOKED on having the power of a PC running my home. For me... it's really worth it
« Last Edit: October 15, 2009, 12:49:53 AM by Dave_x10_L »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.