Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 3 camera package with motion sensors-do I need floodlight motion detector?  (Read 15162 times)

ron08

• Helpful Post Rating: 1

Hi I'm new to x10.

I want wireless cameras in the front, back and side of my house.
The package I was looking at includes 3 motion sensors. (the whole package
is listed below)

I already have motion activated floodlights in each location.
(non x10) which should provide light if someone is near and activates
it. I'm hoping the x10 motion sensors would activate the camera about
the same tiime. (if I mount in the same location.)

Would this work? Or would it be better to get  x10 motion sensor floodlilghts to
control at least one of the cameras (if that can be done)  like the one I want most on the front porch.

Any suggestions?

Here is the package I'm looking at:

3 XCam2 COLOR Wireless Cameras
Video Receiver
Wireless Transceiver
Camera Remote Controller
Battery Pack $19.99
VCR Commander II
3 ActiveEye Motion Sensors 

Thanks, Ron

PajamaGuy

• Helpful Post Rating: 32

Word of caution:  Do NOT get FloodCams! You can do more with single-function components.

(Just my $0.02)
PajamaGuy
Win-7 - Dell XPS -Automation
VA12a on a dedicated desktop - Video
XTB-IIR & V572RF32

Remote via LogMeIn (FREE) and Ignition

ron08

thanks I saw that product and thought it was just what I needed until I started reading
all the problems.

I wasn't going get them.

It's between using my existing non x10 motion floodlights or use new x10 motion sensor floodlights

Ron

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175

I use the X10 motion sensor Floodlights. Actually the floodlight is the heart of my perimeter alert system. The floodlight triggers [turns on] the camera(s), and well as puts light on the subject, it also turns on a light inside and chimes a chime in the bedroom. I also use an AHP macro to cause a RF signal to operate a VCR commander, and I email video clips of the motion as well. I've gone a little further than that too.. so any activity detected is displayed (as a camera view) on my main TV... automatically. And MORE..

The floodlight can actually turn on four separate unit codes when motion is detected... as well as another four unit codes based on dusk dawn. I use the dusk dawn to turn on some LED lights at dusk. Then later, an AHP macro turns the lights off.

Because I am a BIG BVC user and FAN. You can check out some of my Home Automation YouTube Video's (including my floodlight setup). I have used the floodlights to trigger a voice announcement that warns trespassers. You can see and hear the announcement (near the end) at this YouTube Video

I highly recommend the X10 floodlight.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2009, 12:52:12 AM by Dave_x10_L »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

ron08

Thank you Dave,

So if I got the x10 floodlight in for the front porch I wouldn't need a separate motion detector for the front camera correct?

So I could the motion sensor somewhere else?

Ron

ron08

one more thing would you suggest the regular x10 floodlight or the PHS01 pro model to use as a motion sensor for the camera?

Ron

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175

Thank you Dave,

So if I got the x10 floodlight in for the front porch I wouldn't need a separate motion detector for the front camera correct?

So I could the motion sensor somewhere else?

It would depend on your setup.... the floodlight sensors only send line signals... (no RF) so the floodlight wont trigger a VCR commander on it's own. I use an AHP macro to accomplish that.

one more thing would you suggest the regular x10 floodlight or the PHS01 pro model to use as a motion sensor for the camera?

I am not sure what the difference is... if there is one.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.