🎭Entertainment > iconRemote

Windows Media Center

(1/3) > >>

Ned:
I got my remote yesterday & was very surprised to find that MCE was not preprogrammed.  Does anyone have a workaround for this?  I tried learning from the original remote & it works, but it's just not as responsive as it should be. 

I called tech support and he was just clueless.  When I asked if the remote supported Windows Media Center, he asked who makes that.  Geez.

Any help would be appreciated.

Ned

jwolk1:
Any follow-up on whether icon remote works well with Windows Media Center - I am using Windows MCE 2005 -

Thanks -

Jeremy

Brian H:
Since the Icon remote sends IR signals. Can you tell us exactly what you would be using to receive them?

speedbugy:
After trying to help many folks with their remotes, X10 promising they had a new one comming out. They even sent me a email and promised to let me beta test the new one, I finally threw my Icon remote in the garbage the other week. I got it to work with almost anything, but it will never be faster than what it is. I use use a lot of other X10 products, but not sure about the X10 remote.

tmonroe:
Well, this seems to be the only thread I found discussing the Icon Remote with Media Center, so here goes:

I have the Icon RF remote. Nice looking gadget, but it doesn't seem to be well suited to use with Media Center.

There are no codes for the Media Center Remote in the Icon RF Remote - so you have to use the Learning function. If anybody from X10 is interested, there are several manufacturers who sell Media Center Remotes - and they are fairly ubiquitous between Media Center Machines. I've used the same Media Center Remote that I got with my Media Center 2005 machine to control Windows Vista Ulimate and Windows 7 Ulitmate. Some remotes have slightly different design, (buttons are in different places) but for the most part, they all do the same thing.

The remote itself seems to be setup closer to a TIVO remote. Some of the functionality of the Media Center Remote doesn't seem to transfer over well. Actually, if there was just a way to relabel the buttons, I think they could be "learned". I went through last night and programmed a Icon RF remote, and when I got to the "Start" button, I realized that there weren't any decent buttons left. I used the "Thumbs up" button for "Start" (since MCE doesn't have thumbs up, thumbs down), and I had to make a few other creative changes, which work - but the more changes you make, the harder the remote is to use.

It was a lot cheaper than my harmony one remote, and seems to work ok, just not as easy as the advertising would have you believe.

Other issues - doesn't support Sony Cineza projector (didn't seem to be able to learn the code either). No easy way to remove a device.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version