Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Windows Media Center  (Read 44152 times)

Ned

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
Windows Media Center
« on: May 09, 2008, 02:38:10 PM »

I got my remote yesterday & was very surprised to find that MCE was not preprogrammed.  Does anyone have a workaround for this?  I tried learning from the original remote & it works, but it's just not as responsive as it should be. 

I called tech support and he was just clueless.  When I asked if the remote supported Windows Media Center, he asked who makes that.  Geez.

Any help would be appreciated.

Ned

jwolk1

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Re: Windows Media Center
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2008, 11:44:37 AM »

Any follow-up on whether icon remote works well with Windows Media Center - I am using Windows MCE 2005 -

Thanks -

Jeremy

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2008, 04:20:09 PM »

Since the Icon remote sends IR signals. Can you tell us exactly what you would be using to receive them?

speedbugy

• Helpful Post Rating: 4
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2008, 11:42:12 PM »

After trying to help many folks with their remotes, X10 promising they had a new one comming out. They even sent me a email and promised to let me beta test the new one, I finally threw my Icon remote in the garbage the other week. I got it to work with almost anything, but it will never be faster than what it is. I use use a lot of other X10 products, but not sure about the X10 remote.

tmonroe

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2010, 07:14:29 PM »

Well, this seems to be the only thread I found discussing the Icon Remote with Media Center, so here goes:

I have the Icon RF remote. Nice looking gadget, but it doesn't seem to be well suited to use with Media Center.

There are no codes for the Media Center Remote in the Icon RF Remote - so you have to use the Learning function. If anybody from X10 is interested, there are several manufacturers who sell Media Center Remotes - and they are fairly ubiquitous between Media Center Machines. I've used the same Media Center Remote that I got with my Media Center 2005 machine to control Windows Vista Ulimate and Windows 7 Ulitmate. Some remotes have slightly different design, (buttons are in different places) but for the most part, they all do the same thing.

The remote itself seems to be setup closer to a TIVO remote. Some of the functionality of the Media Center Remote doesn't seem to transfer over well. Actually, if there was just a way to relabel the buttons, I think they could be "learned". I went through last night and programmed a Icon RF remote, and when I got to the "Start" button, I realized that there weren't any decent buttons left. I used the "Thumbs up" button for "Start" (since MCE doesn't have thumbs up, thumbs down), and I had to make a few other creative changes, which work - but the more changes you make, the harder the remote is to use.

It was a lot cheaper than my harmony one remote, and seems to work ok, just not as easy as the advertising would have you believe.

Other issues - doesn't support Sony Cineza projector (didn't seem to be able to learn the code either). No easy way to remove a device.

Mellowmark

• Helpful Post Rating: 6
  • M M Electric
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2010, 09:30:23 PM »

Brian do you use media center. I think that most media center computers have Ir built into the case, Irtrans is one USB style interface. I know girder will work with my Irtrans and Zalman case. I would be very happy to see a remote that does media center and x10 as well as the logitech does, for the price of the icon.
M M ElectricMan

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2010, 08:24:52 AM »

While x10 was beta testing the RF icon remote a X10 USB Wireless Remote Driver was released so all x10 remotes would work with Windows 7 Media Center.
The driver is free and can be downloaded from the X10 Software Download Center
they say it is for
CM15A, CM19A, ALL USB Transceivers
it states it is for:

For FireCracker and ActiveHome Pro .
No where does it state it works for PC based commands or Windows applications like WMC.
I have test run it on Windows 7 as well as XP. Not only does it work with WMC but it works with  many other Windows applications and can even turn your PC off(can't turn it on though  :( ) ;)
It installs into your windows control panel so you have to set it up from there. ;)
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

rich

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2010, 10:09:16 PM »

Tuiceman

Can you expand a little on how you setup the X10 Icon Remote. I have an IR port configured on PC but I am new to the Icon Remote and I am having trouble finding what device to add to the Icon Remote to support Windows Media Center.

Thanks,
Rich

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2010, 10:04:42 AM »

Sorry for the slow reply .
The new RF icon remote works with Windows if you have a CM15A(ActiveHome Pro) or CM19a connected to the PC via a USB port.
Note: a search will most likely turn up better prices
I don't use IR with the PC.
The other option would be to use the learn function of the Icon if you have a remote that currently works with the PC.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

rich

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2010, 08:23:46 PM »

Sorry for the slow reply .
The new RF icon remote works with Windows if you have a CM15A(ActiveHome Pro) or CM19a connected to the PC via a USB port.
Note: a search will most likely turn up better prices
I don't use IR with the PC.
The other option would be to use the learn function of the Icon if you have a remote that currently works with the PC.

Tuiceman

I do have a CM15A and use the Icon Remote to control X10 devices.

What I don't understand is what device do you setup on the Icon Remote to use and control Windows Media Center or other PC Ap's ?

Rich

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2010, 08:44:53 AM »

Sorry I miss understood. :-[
Setup the CM15A in the Icon, it's found in  x10/Add or Remove /Other devices.
Then download and install the X10 USB Wireless Remote Drivers
Go into windows control panel and open the x10 remote  program
Enter the info you set the CM15A up with in the Icon
Save and your set.
This will not give you mouse movement but will allow you to open and close programs and give you some remote control of the PC.
If you wish some sort of mouse movement get PC Companion as I've programed in that ability and it works along with the X10 remote to give you more PC custom remote capabilities. ;)
 >!
« Last Edit: April 04, 2010, 10:57:15 PM by Tuicemen »
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

rich

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2010, 09:09:38 PM »

Tuiceman,

Thanks for the info. Got it working. Now for the learning curve.

You need to edit your link for the drivers. Looks like //ftp was typed in twice. Just wanted
to make sure the next person finds the driver.

Thanks again,
Rich

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2010, 10:59:07 PM »

Good to know you have it working!
The link is now fixed! guess I should have tested it first! :-[
 >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

g33k499

« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2010, 12:32:35 PM »

I have a question about the icon remote and this setup.

The product site for the Icon Remote says,"Set up Remote Macros - control multiple devices with one button."

Would it be possible to make it so when I press play for windows media center, my lights will turn off at the same time?

Or at least create a macro button that will accomplish the task of pressing play for Windows Media Center and sending an E2 Off command?

modernninja

« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2011, 12:14:13 PM »

Sorry I miss understood. :-[
Setup the CM15A in the Icon, it's found in  x10/Add or Remove /Other devices.
Then download and install the X10 USB Wireless Remote Drivers
Go into windows control panel and open the x10 remote  program
Enter the info you set the CM15A up with in the Icon
Save and your set.
This will not give you mouse movement but will allow you to open and close programs and give you some remote control of the PC.
If you wish some sort of mouse movement get PC Companion as I've programed in that ability and it works along with the X10 remote to give you more PC custom remote capabilities. ;)
 >!

I realize that this is an old thread, but I was hoping to get a clarification...I have a USB-UIRT IR sensor/blaster on my system...could that work in lieu of the x10 hardware? which drivers should I install for that?  While I do plan to eventually upgrade to a full x10 home automation and security system (like when I buy a house, not while I live in an apartment) in the meantime I just want something that allows me to use my remote with my htpc and therefore have "one remote to rule them all"....my precccciiiousssssss....

BTW, my entertainment configuration is as follows:

1.  Panasonic Viera 50" 3D internet capable plasma tv with 3d bluray player
2.  Onkyo HT-S9300THX HTIB with HDMI 1.4a inputs
3.  Verizon FIOS HD-DVR with 25/25 internet package
4.  XBOX 360 with Kinect and Turtle Beach headphones linked via astro mixamp.
5.  Homebuilt HTPC with following:  TA790GX A3+ Mobo, Phenom 2 Quad-core 2.8 Ghz processor, 8GB G-skill Ripjaw DDR3 RAM, ZOTAC NVIDIA GT430 graphics card with HDMI 1.4a output, HD Thriller PVR card linked to FIOS DVRvia firewire, USB-UIRT IR sensor/blaster, XBOX to windows controller, Pioneer bluray burner combo drive 10TB of hard drive space chock full of movie goodness.  Software: Windows 7, XBMC, Hyperspin, NVIDIA 3DVision, one girlfriend who alternates between being very happy and moderately annoyed with me...
« Last Edit: October 15, 2011, 12:35:36 PM by modernninja »

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.