Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: AM486 Appliance Module TOO LOUD  (Read 4860 times)

greggman

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
AM486 Appliance Module TOO LOUD
« on: June 13, 2008, 12:50:06 AM »

Is there a quieter Appliance Module. My walls are thin and the "CLUNK" the AM486 Appliance Module sound like someone dropped a marble on the floor from 3-4 feet.  Loud enough to easily annoy the neighbors downstairs, especially when I turn my heater on or off at 2am.

Is there a quieter Appliance Module?

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: AM486 Appliance Module TOO LOUD
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2008, 06:26:47 AM »

I believe all the X10 and X10 modules made as OEM for other brands use the same setup. There maybe other quieter ones from other manufacturers. Do you know the rating of the heater? Some of the quieter ones don't have as great a capacity as the X10 ones.

Alan V

• Helpful Post Rating: 8
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2008, 12:49:45 PM »

Is there a quieter Appliance Module. My walls are thin and the "CLUNK" the AM486 Appliance Module sound like someone dropped a marble on the floor from 3-4 feet.  Loud enough to easily annoy the neighbors downstairs, especially when I turn my heater on or off at 2am.

Is there a quieter Appliance Module?

Try the Appliance Module from Smarthome http://www.smarthome.com/2856s3b.html.  It uses a relay that produces a much softer sound than the AM486.  The Smarthome module has an X10 compatible mode.  However, it is more expensive and larger than the AM486.

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2008, 01:00:23 PM »

The Black and Decker inline switch that I posted about here* is quieter than the X10 modules.

*Click on the underlined link above to see post.
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

greggman

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2008, 06:09:30 PM »

thank you everyone for the suggestions! I'll try them out

lasnite

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2008, 05:01:36 AM »

I read at another forum if one clips the white wire going to the relay it will kill the clicking altogether:
http://www.homeautomationforum.com/forums/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=843&p=2866&hilit=am486#p2866

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2008, 07:47:19 AM »

The message referred to said Appliance Module but the description sure sounds like the OEM; by X10; RR501 Tranceiver for Radio Shack. If you cut the wire in an AM486 it will not click or even switch on or off.

Jsnlong

• Helpful Post Rating: 17
    • XKAR
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2008, 11:13:34 PM »

Maybe X10 will look harder at making them with out the noisy relay. They are calling them the "going green" lamp modules now and you can use them with CFL's.

So in a few years when the government makes you use CFL's they will be ahead of the game!!! The regular lamp module will be out of date.

I forget the year they will all go to GFL's.
People are afraid of robots taking their jobs......The same jobs they complain all day about doing!!

Join the chat at http://www.bdshost.com/ac/

Coach of XKAR
Xenia Kids And Robots
www.xkar.org

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2008, 11:52:23 PM »

So in a few years when the government makes you use CFL's ..............The regular lamp module will be out of date.

I think we will be using MORE (several) of the lower light producing CFL's or LED's. Thus we will turn more on... or some off.... as opposed to brightening and dimming. But they do make dimmable CFL's and LED's now.... and will likely make more in the future. There just isn't many good reasons to dim an already dim bulb.

X10 needs to "smell the coffee" on the new paradime of lighting.... and have the right products for the time.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2008, 12:33:00 AM by Dave_x10_L »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.