Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: RF Noise/Interference Concern and Solutions anyone?  (Read 2213 times)

autopilot

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
RF Noise/Interference Concern and Solutions anyone?
« on: May 22, 2008, 04:31:47 PM »

Dear X10 patrons,

I read somewhere that RF interferences/noise might affect the performance and reliability of X10 gadgets to receive or transmit PLC signals. Though I'm still waiting for my AHP starter kit and might experience this type of problem, I'm posting my concern anyway for your advices. My related questions are:

a. How common or prevalent is this in houses and apartment units? With X10 equipment?
b. What household appliances or equipment are more likely to emit RF noise/interferences?
c. What type/brand of affordable RF noise filters would you recommend?

Pls. enlighten me. Thanks.
The basic, must-haves for home repair are duct tape if it moves and WD-40 if it doesn't...

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: RF Noise/Interference Concern and Solutions anyone?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2008, 05:06:17 PM »

RF interference is mostly ob wireless cameras and video senders. In the 2.4 Ghz range. Things like Wireless networks and 2.4 Ghz cordless phones.

a. Power line noise is what most problems are and with modern electronics many things can be a problem.

b. Cell Phone chargers, modern TVs and electronic equipment. Computer power supplies to name a few.

c. X10 band type filters are best as some generic filters filter the X10 120 KHz signals on the power line as noise.
I use X10Pro XPPF filters that are 5 Amp. Have also used Smarthomes 1626-10  FilterLinc 10 Amp ones and have one on my APC BX1000 UPS as we speak. Also have an unused ACT AF120 15 Amp one.

Have you looked into phase coupling? Many homes are split phase and getting X10 signals from one phase to the other can sometimes be a problem. Some apartments are three phase with any one unit on two of the three.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
Re: RF Noise/Interference Concern and Solutions anyone?
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2008, 11:53:19 PM »

Brian H said it all!
But for more info check out some of the sticky threads in the  Troubleshooting Automation Problems Section
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.