Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: AM466 module needs an "on" switch  (Read 48084 times)

bilyth

• Helpful Post Rating: 2
AM466 module needs an "on" switch
« on: May 28, 2008, 11:44:46 AM »

When i compare my first x10 module to the ordinary ikea timers; i was really impressed with the lm465 for a couple reasons: it was dead silent,  added dimming capability & of course, fancy stuff with AHP.

So, when i got a hold of appliance module- am466; i thought the improvement over the ikea timers would be silence in addition to the ability to do fancy controls with AHP.

To my disappointment, am466 clicks just as loudly as the ikea timers whenever it goes off or on. Even worse, the ikea timers had a nice "on" switch on the timer to override the timer at any time if you want it on. Because the lights i'm using don't have switches themselves...i cannot just turn the light/appliance on when i'm standing at the light/am466 module like i could with an ordinary ikea timer. This was such a big plus with a cheapo ikea timer...now i either need to invest in a remote, start up AHP on my computer (slow & i have to walk to my computer), or unplug the module & physically plug the light in..

The only real advantage right now for me to use the am466 it seems is the ability to use the dusk timer..& to be able to control the modules remotely with myhouse (although i played with that today & it seems you can only turn module on & off...so if i'm away & a module has a timer..i can't just turn the timer off?..i'll play with it more).

but, the advantage of having an "on" switch is making me consider just going back to the cheap ikea timers.

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
Re: AM466 module needs an "on" switch
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2008, 12:27:13 PM »

but, the advantage of having an "on" switch is making me consider just going back to the cheap ikea timers.

FWIW
Depending on what version appliance module you have and if you are good with a soldering iron and Dremel tool or drill, there are hacks for adding a local control button to an X10 Appliance Module.

http://www.idobartana.com/hakb/Modifying_Appliance_module.htm

Also a Smarthome (smarthome.com) appliance module has a much quieter relay, but no local control button.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

bilyth

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2008, 04:17:14 PM »

hey, cool. i'm not sure this is within my skill set...but it doesn't sound too difficult to learn. so do you end up with a switch that hangs out of the module or something?

what's IC mean (in the instructions)

i see alot of posts referring to smarthome as having advantages...smarthome works with my x10 stuff or is a totally different system (i'm not prepared to replace everything now... :P)

thanks.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2008, 04:24:13 PM »

The Smarthome 2456S3 ApplianceLinc Module is their Insteon Module as the older X10 one are now gone. They also can be assigned an X10 primary Address optionally. They do not have the Address Dials you maybe use to. You basically hold the Linking Button on the side. Then send the X10 address from a controller with an ON for Local Control Sensing enabled or an Off for Local Control sensing Off.
Like if you wanted to set it to B3. Hold the Link Button until the LED flashes. Then send a B3 BOn for Local on or B3 Boff for local off. Three times if memory serves me.
Also more expensive than an X10 module and if you have an X10 special sale. Much more.

bilyth

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2008, 04:31:25 PM »

i see. thanks.

Seriously- i'm switching that particular module to my ikea timer. The only advantage of using the am466 was to coincide with dusk time for me...turning off remotely would have been nice too...but not being able to adjust/turn off the timers remotely makes it useless to me.

Too bad..just a simple switch & perhaps a quieter switch would have made it worthwhile..give it up to ikea this time.

dave w

• Community Organizer
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2008, 05:04:45 PM »

Too bad..just a simple switch & perhaps a quieter switch would have made it worthwhile..give it up to ikea this time.

Yeah, yeah, yeah, they all say that...you'll be back  :D

bilyth

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2008, 06:45:23 PM »

Yeah, yeah, yeah, they all say that...you'll be back  :D

:D LOl. You know what..you're probably right...i started thinking- how lazy am I??? it's not that hard to just unplug the light from the module & plug it in directly if i want to use it...i don't necessarily need a switch...although nice (just not sure why they didn't think of putting one..i guess it helps their remote sales??)

bilyth

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2008, 12:14:08 PM »

ps- the clicking noise everytime it goes off & on...is that something like a plastic piece banging on something? is there a hack to open the module & silence it?

i used it for the first time last night to control a fan to intermittently go off during my sleep...i swear that little noise from the module kept waking me up.

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2008, 01:05:12 PM »

ps- the clicking noise everytime it goes off & on...is that something like a plastic piece banging on something? is there a hack to open the module & silence it?

i used it for the first time last night to control a fan to intermittently go off during my sleep...i swear that little noise from the module kept waking me up.
I use a Black & Decker inline switch, model FWLROD, to control the pump to my water cooled pillow. They might be discontinued but you can still find them from time to time. It seems quieter to me than an appliance module. They call it an "Outdoor Lamp Receiver" but it responds like an appliance module and is clearly rated to handle a load like yours.

So while their legal department has them label it as "Plug in lamps only", on the other side they have the rating listed it as:

• Resistive Load ---------------- 15A
  • Motor Load ------------------- 1/3 HP
  • Incandescent Lamp ---------- 500W

So while I won't tell you to ignore any possible dangers that they feel may occur if you use it for something other than a lamp, the specs clearly make me feel comfortable using it in my motor and heating applications.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2008, 01:07:32 PM by steven r »
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

bilyth

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2008, 02:00:28 PM »

I use a Black & Decker inline switch, model FWLROD, to control the pump to my water cooled pillow. They might be discontinued but you can still find them from time to time. It seems quieter to me than an appliance module. They call it an "Outdoor Lamp Receiver" but it responds like an appliance module and is clearly rated to handle a load like yours.

So while their legal department has them label it as "Plug in lamps only", on the other side they have the rating listed it as:

• Resistive Load ---------------- 15A
  • Motor Load ------------------- 1/3 HP
  • Incandescent Lamp ---------- 500W

So while I won't tell you to ignore any possible dangers that they feel may occur if you use it for something other than a lamp, the specs clearly make me feel comfortable using it in my motor and heating applications.

very cool. i'm a bit of a cheapy...i tink i'm going to try & run an extension cord into the hallway outlet next time. Aesthetically, not great...but i hope a cheap solution.

EDIT: Damn! scrap that...the hallway outlet seems to be one of two outlets i've discovered that does not receive x10 signals...
« Last Edit: May 30, 2008, 02:08:36 PM by bilyth »

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2008, 04:39:47 PM »

...i tink i'm going to try & run an extension cord into the hallway outlet next time. Aesthetically, not great...but i hope a cheap solution.

EDIT: Damn! scrap that...the hallway outlet seems to be one of two outlets i've discovered that does not receive x10 signals...
It might be a blessing in disguise. i.e. I can think of much more fun things to do at night than tripping on an extension cord.  :'(
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2008, 06:22:03 PM »

The clicking noise in the Appliance module is a mechanical switch. Being toggled by a ratchet arm moved by a plunger in a coil. There is no way to make it less noisy.

I have a strange feeling B&D was being extra cautious with the FWLROD; as it sure clicks like an Appliance Module and is rated the same as one.

bilyth

« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2008, 12:55:33 PM »

well, i found leaning a pillow on the module muffles the click enough to be almost unnoticeable at night...but i haven't slept well the last two nights....maybe my intermittent fan idea isn't a good idea afterall..or maybe it's 'cause i'm testing the fan & it's not even hot enough to need it...

dave w

• Community Organizer
« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2008, 04:55:02 PM »

FWIW
the Smarthome.com appliance module is very quiet. It does click audibly, but almost as quiet as clicking a retractable pen.
Also, although not recommended by X10, I use a number of Socket Rockets to control non incandescent loads. They can not dim, have no "local control" and do not seem to be bothered by controlling an inductive load. I have not tried controlling a motor load with a SR. Initial current as the fan is starting, might be an issue. The Socket Rocket is limited to 150 watts.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.