Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Active Eye Sensors  (Read 4948 times)

Ignat

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Active Eye Sensors
« on: May 29, 2008, 09:52:48 AM »

I'm new to X10 so I really don't know what I'm doing but I have an idea I've been thinking about and would like to know if it would work.

I'd like to set up an Active Eye Sensor to control some outside PR511 Motion Sensor lights on my house and my porch lights that I plan to use some socket rockets.  My problem is that my driveway is 170ft long.  I believe the Active Eye sensors only have a range of 100ft.  I'd really like the lights to come on when I first turn into my driveway.

Can I use one Active Eye at the top of my driveway to trigger a second Active Eye somewhere in the middle of my driveway which would turn on my lights?

The Active Eyes are RF and from what I've been reading I think the PR511S are powerline.  Would I need some kind of transceiver in the house to actually control the lights?

I'd also like to have a chime in the house to alert me when someone comes down the driveway.  How loud is the  SC546A remote chime?? Would I need one on each floor of my house?

Puck

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 171
Re: Active Eye Sensors
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2008, 10:18:34 AM »

Can I use one Active Eye at the top of my driveway to trigger a second Active Eye somewhere in the middle of my driveway which would turn on my lights?

No; you can't relay the signal this way. From what I experienced, the triggerable viewing range of the ActiveEye is a long distance. I had to reposition my front yard one so cars driving down the street would not give me unwanted triggers (~50ft.). So you probably don't need to have the ActiveEye right at the end of your driveway, but maybe further up and still get coverage at the entrance.

P.S. There is also the Passive Repeater you can try: Boosting Signal Strength

The Active Eyes are RF and from what I've been reading I think the PR511S are powerline.  Would I need some kind of transceiver in the house to actually control the lights?

Yes you do need a transceiver to convert the ActiveEye's RF signal to a Power Line Command to control lights.

How loud is the  SC546A remote chime?? Would I need one on each floor of my house?

They are definitely loud, so it depends on the size & construction of your house if you would need more than one.

« Last Edit: February 27, 2010, 09:54:07 AM by JeffVolp »

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2008, 06:50:16 AM »

.........  My problem is that my driveway is 170ft long....  I'd really like the lights to come on when I first turn into my driveway.

....I'd also like to have a chime in the house to alert me when someone comes down the driveway. 

My driveway alert system drove me nuts for some time. I am big fan of X10... but finally found a solution by mixing other devices with X10 to get the desired results. Traffic and false triggers was my problems... not driveway length... but my solution might work for you as well.

You can use a Reporter <link (or other such device) that easily intergrates into your X10 system, by using a PowerFlash Module (PF284) .

I went with a cheaper device (the Driveway Alert $20) and hacked it's chime unit to connect the PowerFlash.

There are many such devices and solutions... some with extreme range (over 1000 feet).

I also use X10's AHP (Active Home Pro) to create macros that allow for "smart" control of lights. I also use BVC (Bill's Voice Commander) [/b][/color] to give me clear Voice announcements about what is going on around my home. You can read more about that at my BVC Fan Site... or view my YouTube Home Automation Videos.

« Last Edit: October 15, 2009, 02:19:24 AM by -Bill- (of wgjohns.com) »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

Ignat

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2008, 11:37:13 AM »

Puck / Dave

Thanks for the advice.  I'll have to give it a little more thought before I decide which way to go   >!

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.