Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 1 Video Receiver vs. Six Cameras. Solutions?  (Read 14056 times)

tommarzano

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
1 Video Receiver vs. Six Cameras. Solutions?
« on: May 29, 2008, 07:52:55 PM »

I am trying to set up six cameras around a normal residential situation. It is becoming obvious that my VR31A Video Receiver won't work with cameras in different directions. Heck,  it is difficult to get it to work with two cameras. It is a pretty weak, limited device. Since most houses have at least four sides, my situation is not unusual :-)

Can the cameras be set up on two video receivers? Is there a better receiver antenna, something omnidirectional?

speedbugy

• Helpful Post Rating: 4
Re: 1 Video Receiver vs. Six Cameras. Solutions?
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2008, 08:51:19 PM »

Tom, I can't find the link right now but was from Wilipedia. I added a second receiver and transmitter about half way to solve the problem. A bit more expensive but it worked. The only problem you may need a module to turn on and off the second set with. There are also a few links to build an antenna with like you are talking about I will try to furnish if you would like. Good Luck.

speedbugy

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2008, 08:59:13 PM »

Tom, had to find it. Here is the link that got me going.

http://kbase.x10.com/wiki/Extending_Wireless_Camera_Range

speedbugy

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2008, 10:11:43 PM »

Here's a simple antenna, I ain't tried this one yet.

http://www.shed.com/tutor/mr26ant.html

x10challanged

• Helpful Post Rating: 5
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2008, 07:35:09 AM »

Hi Tommarzano and welcome to the forums,
Speedbugy is correct in his recommendations,
As far as the antenna modification I would try simply taping a metal coathanger to the existing antenna to make the full length 18.25" first before re-wiring anything.  That helped me in the beginning until I purchased a SR731 repeater than I took the hanger off.  System has worked fine ever since.
I have 8 cams in and around my house,  I purchased the video recvr/sender kit and placed it in the center of my house on top of a China cabinet where it can't be seen.  I pointed all my cams to the new video receiver (because it is closer to most of them than my computer) and then I pointed the new video sender to the receiver on my computer.  I am amazed at the improvement of viewing quality and quality of stills and snapshots.  All cams respond as advertised now.

Good luck if you need more help there are a lot of really good people here to solve most issues with X-10 equipment.

speedbugy

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2008, 10:19:02 AM »

Hey x10. That sounds simple enough. Did you tape the coathanger to the sender or receiver and doesn't the coathanger have to be touching something metal on the antenna rather than just the plastic housing.

x10challanged

• Helpful Post Rating: 5
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2008, 11:59:50 AM »

I taped the coat hanger to the CM15A antenna for reception of sensors and various Macros

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.