Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Touch Screen remote made from pocket pc  (Read 6493 times)

Jsnlong

• Helpful Post Rating: 17
    • XKAR
Touch Screen remote made from pocket pc
« on: June 01, 2008, 08:49:02 PM »

Well I have looked on here and didn't see much on the topic of using a Pocket PC for a remote. I wanted a touch screen remote but who really wants to pay all that money just for a remote!! So with a suggestion  -:) from the guys in " The Home Automation Chat" I started to look for a Pocket PC and program to use. 

I found a great priced used Dell axim x3 and then I bought Novii remote deluxe for pocket PCs. This program works great!!! You can customise all the buttons and screens to fit your needs and it will learn just about any IR command.  You can buy the software at www.novii.tv.com and it cost about $34 but you can try it for 10 days free. I set up all my stuff ..(TV,DVR.DVD,Radio,Fans,AC,X10).
I used my X10 Ur74a (the 5-in-1) and switched the remote to send Ir instead on RF signals. This is done by switching the setup from code 0999 to 0998. Read the manual on your remote to-do this but remember the 0 before the numbers cause my manual said it was just 998 but it is 0998.

Then I had to get a IR543 to allow the x10 stuff to see the IR signals. So you are limited in range with the IR cause the remote has to be pointed at the IR543 to see the signal. I have gotten 2 to place in the rooms I want to use the remote the most.

The only things I found wrong with this Novii software is (1) you are limited to what your buttons can look like. So no uploading pictures for buttons. (2) All the programming of the remote is done on the pocket PC so it is a little time consuming.

Plus you get all the other functions on the Pocket PC. So if it has WIFI your get the internet and email all on the same equipment.   8)

Thanks

People are afraid of robots taking their jobs......The same jobs they complain all day about doing!!

Join the chat at http://www.bdshost.com/ac/

Coach of XKAR
Xenia Kids And Robots
www.xkar.org

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Re: Touch Screen remote made from pocket pc
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2008, 09:13:05 PM »

Thanks for sharing jsnlong1979 ! I know some users are using (WiFi) Pocket PC's now for viewing cameras.

Makes me think I should get a new PDA.....
« Last Edit: June 02, 2008, 01:49:36 AM by Dave_x10_L »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2008, 05:47:24 PM »

:)+
Thanks for sharing! ;)
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

JMac

• Helpful Post Rating: 23
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2008, 09:38:16 PM »

There is also Remote Control II at this site:  http://www.wincesoft.de/html/body_remotecontrol_ii.html
I have it on my Dell Axim and it works well.

Jsnlong

• Helpful Post Rating: 17
    • XKAR
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2008, 10:24:51 PM »

The remote controll II looks good also.  It looks like it has alot more button designs to choose from and even some with pictures and it cost less. I guess it allows you to teach it IR codes from other remotes I didnt look at the whole page to see. 
People are afraid of robots taking their jobs......The same jobs they complain all day about doing!!

Join the chat at http://www.bdshost.com/ac/

Coach of XKAR
Xenia Kids And Robots
www.xkar.org

artart

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2008, 01:37:38 AM »

Talke a look at HouseBot www.cebotics.com. Look at "software remotes."

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.