Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Reduce Reuse Recycle  (Read 7925 times)

dbemowsk

• Helpful Post Rating: 21
    • PHP Web Scripting
Reduce Reuse Recycle
« on: February 05, 2010, 12:12:13 PM »

Being a computer tech, I have access to a lot of different electronic devices.  I was working on an Apple iBook laptop yesterday and was scavenging parts from another one.  I pretty much had all the useful parts taken from the thing and was going to throw it out when I noticed a small board inside the screen that had a magnetic reed switch on it.  I decided to salvage it for my powerflash module that I bought for my garage door status indicator.  That and a neodymium magnet salvaged from an old hard drive and I had a working door sensor (old hard drives are great places to get some REALLY strong magnets).

You would be surprised what kind of goodies you can salvage from old junk.  One man's junk is another man's treasure.

Dan B.
Dan Bemowski
Owner of PHP Web Scripting LLC
Programmer of RemoteWatch X10
User of any X10 products I can get my hands on.

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Re: Reduce Reuse Recycle
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2010, 01:13:58 PM »

You would be surprised what kind of goodies you can salvage from old junk.  One man's junk is another man's treasure.

You are so right! Back in 2006 I decided I needed a Home Automation computer to accomplish what I wanted. Then one Wednesday morning when driving to work I realized that all the PC I needed was likely just setting out (curbside) waiting for trash pickup. I "rescued" an old P3 that needed a hard drive [I had an old HD in reserve]. I then bought more RAM for it (used) from a flea market. [knock on wood] it has been running my HA setup since. Besides the AHP suite I run BVC, WeatherAloud, and most recently BlueWatch.

I am NOT a fan of the green movement (I prefer to practice a more traditional religion). But with that said.. I am an avid user of Home Automation and I am also very conservative in my use of energy (money). I believe I use 1/40th of the energy used at home as does Al Gore. If you counted in private jets and limos.. the leader of the green movement... likely consumed more resources last year than I will in my entire lifetime. Something gives me the feeling even Mr Gore doesn't believe conserving is important... globally.

But even though saving a buck (or a dime) or a watt or amp... may NOT have any effect on the planet. It should have an accumulative effect in your own life.. as it does in mine. And that's a good thing.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

dbemowsk

• Helpful Post Rating: 21
    • PHP Web Scripting
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2010, 06:17:47 PM »

I find that being in control of what gets discarded can really have it's perks.

Dan
Dan Bemowski
Owner of PHP Web Scripting LLC
Programmer of RemoteWatch X10
User of any X10 products I can get my hands on.

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2010, 07:59:57 PM »

Just yesterday... I went to the local Salvation Army Shopping Center and found a $5.99 VCR. Although my favorite way to collect security or surveillance video is emailed images... I like the back up of a VCR video as well. The VCR didn't have a remote but my (X10) ICON remote picked up a code in two wags [of a dogs tail]. I am still using the PC with BVC and the USB-UIRT to control the VCR. But... I also use a VCR Commander II as a back up.

I've found... if I spend enough money... I could save a fortune.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.