Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: An oddball thought on home security sirens  (Read 9530 times)

dchall8

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
An oddball thought on home security sirens
« on: June 03, 2008, 05:01:28 PM »

I'm surfing the web for hardware ideas and came across this forum.  Thanks!  It has been helpful. 

In reading the messages I found some posts that indicated issues with sirens, so I thought I'd mention something I've seen that might address some of their problems.  This idea is from a guy I used to work with.  He owned the company that installed sophisticated fire and security systems for businesses and their corporate executives.  Some of his clients lived on hundreds of acres and were a mile or more away from the nearest neighbor.  Outdoor sirens went unnoticed and daylight burglaries were easy to pull off before the sheriff could arrive.  Knowing this my friend redesigned his systems.  Instead of simply notifying everyone about the burglary, he actively protected the valuables with indoors sirens.  He located 140 dB sirens (yes, 140) in the ceiling above the jewelry safe, gun safe, cedar safe, dining room (heirloom silver), home theater, garage, and at every computer.  The sirens warbled at a frequency and pitch that made it very difficult to concentrate on anything requiring detailed manual dexterity.  Even if you were wearing mouse-ear ear protection, the vibrations penetrate the skull through the bone.  After moving the sirens indoors the rural burglaries stopped. 

I am designing a similar system but with 120 dB sirens.  I think the 140s were a little bit of overkill.  If you knew the exact warble you could probably get away with 95 dB sirens. 

bben46

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Re: An oddball thought on home security sirens
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2008, 10:22:41 AM »

How would you go about interfacing the sirens with a DS7000? there is no external siren output. X10 recommends their powerhorn, but the one I got is only for indoor use. I tried using the low voltage switch to turn on a 12 v supply to a siren, but not only did it not turn the siren on when the alarm triggered, it turned it on during the exit delay and pulsed it when the system was armed.

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2008, 12:18:21 PM »

...He located 140 dB sirens (yes, 140) in the ceiling above the jewelry safe, gun safe, cedar safe, dining room (heirloom silver), home theater, garage, and at every computer.  The sirens warbled at a frequency and pitch that made it very difficult to concentrate on anything requiring detailed manual dexterity....
Cool idea! I'd like to use some of the sound devices the military uses myself.  ;)
Sadly in this day and age, however, some burglar might sue you for hearing damage and actually win unless you posted clear warning signs of potential hearing damage.
e.g. "This house is equipped with an auditory burglary deterrent system that can cause hearing damage with extended exposure."
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2008, 02:21:36 PM »

I'd like to use some of the sound devices the military uses myself. 

Active Denial (AKA Area Denial) Systems may very well be the way to go! Currently a "heat wave" weapon is being tested. I really don't think the military had much luck with the "brown note" sound devices.

But I really think for DIY Home Protection.... the Autonomous paintball guns are very promising!

P.S. A paintless paintball is also made... it is a very painful hard rubber.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2008, 02:24:50 PM by Dave_x10_L »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

Alan V

• Helpful Post Rating: 8
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2008, 02:25:41 PM »

I'd be worried about the family living in a house with such a system.  The siren will inevitably go off when family members are in the house.  Hearing loss can occur with sound pressure levels as little as 85 dBA, with pain starting at about 120 dBA.

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2008, 07:13:52 PM »

...the Autonomous paintball guns are very promising!...
...with BVC announcing "Unauthorized presence detected. Please leave!"  ;)
It might be good as an animal deterrent.
BTW... Anyone make a paint ball with tear gas?  :)
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

HA Dave

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2008, 10:25:37 PM »

...with BVC announcing "Unauthorized presence detected" It might be good as an animal deterrent.

Yeah..... I have seen my BVC perimeter detection system actually scare a ratcoon. But, not all seem to be effected.... and I am not sure why. I am working on a mobile system that I hope will be more effective.... against critters... as well as humans.

But my focus is always KEEP THEM OUTSIDE. I have a thread about deterring intrusion: Keep them outside - better than a yard sign Where I explore ways to prevent the intrusion.

My problem with sirens.... the sirens don't sound until AFTER the break-in occurs.

BTW... Anyone make a paint ball with tear gas? 

Not that I am aware of.....
« Last Edit: October 15, 2009, 02:30:39 AM by -Bill- (of wgjohns.com) »

tom j

• Helpful Post Rating: 16
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2008, 12:07:38 AM »

I basically devised a similar setup but with four of those large x10 powerhorns in strategic places, by my gun safe the entertainment center well you get the idea. When I did have a break in one night with all my major lighting under x10 control and those LARGE powerhorns well they didn't hang around long, my neighbors said they were running from my house like their pants were on fire.  :)%

Tom j.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2008, 05:37:56 AM by tom j »

HA Dave

« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2008, 08:46:36 AM »

I basically devised a similar setup but with those large x10 powerhorns in strategic places.....

I also use several sirens! And I was pleasantly surprised to realize my floodlights would also respond to the "all lights on" command from the console. Something else I did (that I've never posted): I have a SocketRocket in the garage... I used an adapter so as I could plug-in both a nightlight (with a red bulb) and a chime (SC546A).

I can't hear the console when entering the home from the garage. So if the alarm is in delayed entry mode that could be a potential problem... as I might miss the singal chime. I had noticed that when plugging in a chime to a live receptacle... the chime would chime the same as if triggered [to chime].

Now when entering through the garage with the alarm in delayed mode: The security lights code triggers the garage SocketRocket ON. This turns on the RED nightlight and chimes the chime. I hear the chime... and know to disarm the alarm. The RED nightlight serves to notify me that the alarm was triggered while I was out (in case I missed the cell phone call).

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.