Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Active Home Pro on a Home network  (Read 14301 times)

dwc

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Active Home Pro on a Home network
« on: June 15, 2008, 06:27:59 PM »

Is there a way to use Active Home Pro on a home network.  My system is installed on the desktop with the USB connected.  I would like to be able to access the system from my laptop thru the home network.

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
Re: Active Home Pro on a Home network
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2008, 07:13:06 PM »

I don't know.  The only way to find out if you can is to share the folder AHP is on and then create the link to it on the shared computer and see if it works.  BTW, the CM15A MUST be connected on the master computer's USB port for this to work.

Let us know it if works and if it has a positive or negative WAF factor.
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2008, 07:47:40 PM »

Is there a way to use Active Home Pro on a home network.  My system is installed on the desktop with the USB connected.  I would like to be able to access the system from my laptop thru the home network.
I've just moved my AHP to a dedicated computer for my automation. While I did plug in a keyboard to avoid a boot up error, I don't have a mouse or monitor attached. I installed Log Me In to access it from my laptop or any other computer. It seems to work well and the basic software is free.
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2008, 08:59:42 PM »

I've just moved my AHP to a dedicated computer for my automation. While I did plug in a keyboard to avoid a boot up error, I don't have a mouse or monitor attached. I installed Log Me In to access it from my laptop or any other computer. It seems to work well and the basic software is free.

Very impressive steven r 
Home Automation is an always changing technology

Oldtimer

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 45
  • Line Noise & Signal Sucker Fatigue Syndrome
    • Oldtimer's X10 Forum Home Page
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2008, 08:42:24 AM »

I installed Log Me In to access it from my laptop or any other computer. It seems to work well and the basic software is free.

Great suggestion! Gets a helpful from me.  >!
Having "fun" with X-10 since 1980.

chewie8han

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2008, 09:11:14 AM »

If you're using Windows XP or Vista, you can always use Remote Desktop.  It's included with the OS for free.

Kevin

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2008, 09:38:34 AM »

There are several ways to do this as mentioned above.
You can even use MyHouse although that is very slow and your relying on the X10 server which isn't 100% reliable.
I've used RealVNC (free version) similar to how steven r set up his system from day 1 before any of the plug-ins were available.
My system and some others will allow the PC to boot without keyboard,monitor or mouse attached (check your BIOs setting to enable\disable this, and set AHP to start up on boot up! ;)
Since then I've used a number of third party software to access my home automation system even X10dispatcher has its own server built in and works great on a home network!
« Last Edit: June 16, 2008, 11:40:07 PM by Tuicemen »
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Oldtimer

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 45
  • Line Noise & Signal Sucker Fatigue Syndrome
    • Oldtimer's X10 Forum Home Page
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2008, 05:08:41 PM »

Depending on where the AHP computer is relative to your main computer (cable length is limited) you can also use a KVM switch so that a single keyboard, video (monitor) and mouse can control both computers.  I've been using one for several years for a non AHP purpose and it works great!
Having "fun" with X-10 since 1980.

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2008, 11:16:54 PM »

Depending on where the AHP computer is relative to your main computer (cable length is limited) you can also use a KVM switch so that a single keyboard, video (monitor) and mouse can control both computers.  I've been using one for several years for a non AHP purpose and it works great!
I considered this approach as my two desktops are about 5 feet apart. Unfortunately my chair is between them.  Then there's the cost of the cable and still having room for my feet under the desk.  ;)
I'm glad the remote approach works as it gives me the side advantage of being able to monitor the computer anywhere I have internet.
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

dwc

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2008, 02:27:27 PM »

I have tried the shared folder route and can't get it to work.

zach1234

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2008, 01:16:47 PM »

I do the shared folder route and My house on line and LOG Me In.

PajamaGuy

• Helpful Post Rating: 32
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2008, 03:48:28 PM »

I run AHP with CM15a and VA11a, on a dedicated XP-SP3 laptop which initializes Remote Desktop and AHP and LogMeIn (Free) upon boot.  While home, I access it via Remote Desktop from any PC or Laptop on my home network, and via LogMeIn when away.  From Work, where all remote control websites are blocked, I use LogMeIn "Ignition" installed on a thumb-drive.  If one Googles "LogMeIn Ignition Coupon" and searches the results, one can find a coupon code whereby Ignition can be had for $20/yr.  LogMeIn Ignition has only failed me one time, MyHouse, on the other hand  rofl

PajamaGuy
Win-7 - Dell XPS -Automation
VA12a on a dedicated desktop - Video
XTB-IIR & V572RF32

Remote via LogMeIn (FREE) and Ignition

dwc

« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2008, 10:18:57 PM »

The RealVNC worked great. Was a easy fix

Thanks. #:)

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.