Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: MyHouse w/o server.  (Read 14819 times)

hesles

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
MyHouse w/o server.
« on: June 17, 2008, 08:01:52 PM »

I was wondering if it is possible to watch the cameras and control appliances without having a server computer or while having such computer powered off?
Maybe htere is some way to do this or some hardware that can help, because having a computer on at all times would significantly increase my electricity bills.
Thank you for ypur suggestions
« Last Edit: June 17, 2008, 08:03:39 PM by hesles »

zach1234

Re: MyHouse w/o server.
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2008, 11:38:04 PM »

You want a Ip video server.

jonesd

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2009, 05:47:34 AM »

You need a video server, It is a computer based device (also called a 'host') dedicated to delivering video.

Unlike PCs or Macs, both being multi-application devices, a video server is designed for one purpose; provisioning video, often for broadcasters. A professional grade video server records, stores, and plays back multiple streams of video without any degradation in the video signal.

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2009, 09:55:41 AM »

• ... is possible to watch the cameras and control appliances without having a server computer .
  • .... because having a computer on at all times would significantly increase my electricity bills.

Yes. X10 devices can be controlled by touchtone phone... Telephone Responder TR16A (or try ebay). IP cameras work well for viewing on line without a PC.

I run a Home Automation PC 24/7 and have for over two years. The idea that a HA computer adds serious additional expense has NOT been my experience. Although... the powerpack is a 300 watt unit... that is the MAXIMIM output not the normal. The computer does very little processing (a power draw) and I don't run a monitor (I turn the monitor OFF). I think the additional safety, security, and peace of mind I get from the smart (computer controlled) automation is well worth the tiny cost of running my old PC 24/7.

I am old (by many peoples standards) I know many.. if not most things can be done without a computer. I know this... because I've lived BEFORE computers. I remember life before color TV too! But HD color TV... is much nicer.

I often read posts where the poster merely says they need a non-computer based solution. I often wonder if that means the setup is for a remote location, or what the logic is behind the request. Home Automation.. is by its very nature cutting edge. Once a HA feature really catches on.. it becomes main stream.. and is no longer called Home Automation.

Maybe a few years from now... your local Electric Supplier (Light & Power Company) will come by and install the Government required Internet connected processor (small computer) on your breaker box/fuse box. Then your home can be monitored and controlled... with heating and cooling devices regulated by the proxies of your elected officials (doesn't that sound comforting). This what they are calling a "smart grid".

Well many aren't waiting! Our homes are already smart.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2009, 10:06:21 AM by Dave_x10_L »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.