Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Wireless Driveway Camera - Long Distance - a few hundred feet  (Read 5988 times)

donnablackndecker

• Helpful Post Rating: 0

I need to record activity at my driveway entrance.  I would like an outdoor, night vision, motion activated camera.  I am concerned about the distance that is supported by wireless cameras.  Is it possible to wire part of the way or install a signal booster?  Any advice for someone with a distance of a few hundred feet between the camera location and the house (thus the nearest power source)?

I will appreciate any advice before I purchase to make certain I am making the correct decision on products; camera, receiver, software, etc.

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Re: Wireless Driveway Camera - Long Distance - a few hundred feet
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2008, 06:56:21 PM »

I would like an outdoor, night vision, motion activated camera. ......................  Any advice for someone with a distance of a few hundred feet between the camera location and the house (thus the nearest power source)?

The advantage of "night-vision" cameras (generally a term reserved for camera that provides and uses own IR light source) is it requires no other light. Often the IR light these cameras use is outside the band of human vision... but often the light is within the range and the cameras glow a pinkish red. If your attempting to get "convert surveillance" be sure to use IR that is "human invisible".

If your intention is to use the cameras for "security" or as a deterrent to crime, you may be better served with a regular camera and a light. Cameras only deter crime when they are seen. No one worries about their actions being recorded by cameras they DON'T believe are there.

I use BOTH wired and wireless cameras. For a VERY LONG RUN (you mentioned a few hundred feet) I would most definitely bury wire (to include extra wires) and AC for lighting as well.

Heck... if it's at an entry point... why not plan ahead and run everything needed for a remote access gate, with a phone.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.