Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8

Author Topic: Tuicemen's Place (city residence)  (Read 109003 times)

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
Re: Tuicemen's Place (city residence)
« Reply #75 on: March 07, 2019, 01:58:34 PM »

Are you managing the z-wave devices with HG? I've been able to add a couple of devices, but they're not recognized as they should be. For instance, just outlet 1 of 5 outlets on a Zooz power strip is recognized.

Your z-wave lock is controlled through HG?

Yep, however to be fair I only have one outlet module and the door lock.
The door lock was a real pain to get working most likely because of my small Zwave network and my inexperience with Zwave.
The outlet paired first attempt. I've also not programed any automation into HG for them as yet just on/off & lock/unlock
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #76 on: March 08, 2019, 09:22:16 AM »

@racerfern you may wish to get some pointers from Bounz on the Homegenie club forum for Zwave in HG. I know he runs Zwave with HG and I'm sure his network is far larger then mine.
 >!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #77 on: June 04, 2019, 08:05:21 AM »

I've adopted Home Genie as my main HA software of choice due to the ease of setup and the fact that it is so customizable.
All others (even my created ones) are no longer in use.
Though the original developer seems to vanish from time to time the app is stable. Since it is open source anyone is free to modify it and submit their modifications as pull requests to improve the main server.
Also Plugins (scripts) can be created which can be shared with others.(I've managed to create a few).

I managed to create a Plugin/script for the Broadlink RM (currently not publicly available) so my use of HA Bridge is now dwindling and I suspect I'll soon stop using it as a middleman. This is currently slow to respond due to how I've created it however I suspect with a rework things can be improved.

I also modified the Camera Plugin/script which allows me to not only view my cameras but also move them to pre-sets and take a snapshot which gets emailed directly to a specified email address.

I fired back up my Aussus Eeebox (mini PC) and placed Linux and HomeGenie on it (Windows was just to slow) I currently don't use it for HA but at some point will move my Internet connected setup over to it as it runs HG much faster then the Pi Zero boards and has many more USB Ports. I can remote into this for configuring HG & Linux so like the RPI boards no keyboard/mouse or monitor is required. :)%

Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #78 on: December 20, 2019, 06:34:47 PM »

My mini PC running Linux now runs Homegenie setup so I can remote into from the internet this also now runs my Zwave dongle.
I had some issues with my IP being change this summer due to storms and work on the cable lines.
this had me looking at setting up noip dns, however I've had issues with this at my off grid place each month. Having to log in to confirm I still use it seemed to disable the stupid thing unless I was there.
I had setup an account at duckdns.org 4 years ago while experimenting with DNS options to my surprise this was still active.
Even with my IP changing I had my IP cameras email the new IP however that meant resetting all my links to the correct IP.
My system is now setup with duckdns so things should run a little smoother while away now.

Alexa is still my preferred voice assistant so all my automation is set up for her control using HA-Bridge Ha-Bridge now comes with a HG helper file this makes adding HG devices so simple and allows for any thing in HG with a name to be controlled (if you wish) even my x10 security console.

I ordered an echo flex as it was on sale. I like the USB port which I'll experiment with over the holidays and the fact it plugs directly into an outlet (no cords). The sound quality of this isn't any good for music (so I've read), but I don't plan on using it for that. 
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

LostDog88

• Helpful Post Rating: 2
« Reply #79 on: December 20, 2019, 07:27:50 PM »

Though the original developer seems to vanish from time to time the app is stable. Since it is open source anyone is free to modify it and submit their modifications as pull requests to improve the main server.
Also Plugins (scripts) can be created which can be shared with others.(I've managed to create a few).

The exact reason why I love this HA solution the best. Freeware. What the internet (think back all the way to gopher) originally was. Sharing information freely for everyone to benefit from. Making the world a better place. IMO.

Powerful, and customization, along with being compact and a very tiny footprint is more of it's lucrative benefits.

Honestly, this combination will do things I haven't even considered nor could I think of them. But it will do it for sure.

It'll even make your coffee for you! LOL.  rofl rofl rofl

petera

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 27
« Reply #80 on: December 20, 2019, 08:27:09 PM »

Freeware and shareware are terms used in the MS world. FOSS and open source software are terms used in the Linux world and have been since its inception. No punks trying to shakedown people for a dollar or two. Rather a collective of like minded people coming together to share ideas and concepts with others with no commercial gain.

MS people generally find this concept difficult to grasp. Something for nothing. Free to use and free to distribute as long as the GNU GPL is referenced at all times with any distribution and the authors work is referenced at all times.

It can be clearly seen that MS have bowed out as far as this market is concerned. Windows IOT is more of an aspiration than a reality. Linux is now the market leader so my advice to anyone wishing to develop and grow in the home automation world is, familiarise yourself with Linux.

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #81 on: December 23, 2019, 08:19:23 AM »

Freeware and shareware are terms used in the MS world. FOSS and open source software are terms used in the Linux world and have been since its inception. No punks trying to shakedown people for a dollar or two. Rather a collective of like minded people coming together to share ideas and concepts with others with no commercial gain.

You should post that information with Wikipedia! They think The Father of Linux.... Linus Torvalds is now a U.S. citizen. The word on the street is that the creator of the Linux operating system, has embraced capitalism and is VERY wealthy... by shaking-down millions of like-minded users. Open source was never more than a polite way to say.... unenforced thief (although Unix spend YEARS in courts). EVERYONE knows the Linux system is derived (AKA stolen) from Unix and it is a continuation of the basis of Unix design.

Many people around the world hated America and American values (of liberty and freedom) enough... and/or had such little values or regard about thief... that the "free" operating system became popular. Period.

The hi-minded hyperbole about "coming together to share ideas" is just plain FALSE.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

petera

• PI Expert
« Reply #82 on: December 23, 2019, 01:57:53 PM »

Keep those thoughts in mind when purchasing all those Amazon (Android driven and Linux derivative) toys and keep the faith. The swamp will be drained and guess what will appear  >!

HA Dave

« Reply #83 on: December 25, 2019, 01:01:11 PM »

Keep those thoughts in mind when purchasing all those Amazon (Android driven and Linux derivative) toys and keep the faith.

What "thoughts"?!?!? I posted history, facts, truth. I did NOT deliver the "open source" sermon condemning the evil Windows of MS. I don't write history.... or even record it. But so much has been recorded (and written)... it's sad to think we would feel compelled to lie about it. 

The swamp will be drained and guess what will appear  >!

I have no idea what that means.

bkenobi

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 24
« Reply #84 on: December 25, 2019, 05:10:19 PM »

Some people take the red pill, others take the blue one.  In the end, people believe what they want despite the truth being known. When someone has their mind set in one way, it is too traumatic to accept anything new...

HA Dave

« Reply #85 on: December 27, 2019, 10:34:57 PM »

Some people take the red pill, others take the blue one.  In the end, people believe what they want despite the truth being known. When someone has their mind set in one way, it is too traumatic to accept anything new...

I read your post.... and it makes me wonder... if you actually believe what you posted. Or do you sorta (at least) know that the matrix was just a movie. It was you know. Keanu Reeves is just an actor.... no pills, no false reality. History is real... although often altered with time... much of the topic mentioned here is still more-or-less current events. 

I am sorry you find Home Automation choices to be "traumatic". I think most of us... find this stuff to be a little more like fishing. It involves a bit of thought and slight effort. But basically it's a great distraction from (the NON-pill taking) real life.

bkenobi

• PI Expert
  • Helpful Post Rating: 24
« Reply #86 on: December 30, 2019, 09:16:47 PM »

Hmmm, that's certainly a way to interpret things.

petera

• PI Expert
« Reply #87 on: December 31, 2019, 08:42:32 AM »

Hmmm, that's certainly a way to interpret things.

Or possibly Total Recall but I was thinking more like Cocoon. Don't know about Artificial Intelligence but it's all Virtual Reality here. I'm on by recycled bicycle now before I get caught by ET  rofl

HA Dave

« Reply #88 on: December 31, 2019, 07:13:38 PM »

We used to discuss if Home Automation was a lifestyle... or a hobby.

There is no one, true, answer. For most people this stuff is a solution... and nothing more. For many more... Home Automation is about control. Just like the TV remote.... only expanded to include more. And for many (particularly the older guys) MORE control, merely means control of lights as well as the TV. Lot of the users here and at other forums include security. Alarms, cameras, sensors... it was a main-stay here at one time. And of course.... There was ALWAYS... the linux and Apple users... trying to find ways to use their computing interests and skills. They have always been like the Audiophiles that construct Home Theaters... trying to twist and bend a new outlet (video) to fit their love of audio.

Today Home Automation has taken a turn in a different direction. And it's created a "new golden age of HA". But the "New Age Automation" doesn't serve many of the old computer hobbyists and Control Freak users all that well. It's kinda sad. I'd like to think that we could find room for all interests in HA.

But I don't control (or care to) the direction that all this goes. But to be honest.... I am very happy with the new technologies.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
« Reply #89 on: January 19, 2020, 09:17:00 AM »

I placed the Amazon Flex in my office and have the USB port supply the power for my Pi zero W.
although the Flex USB port shows up in my Alexa app it isn't controllable (yet)
The sound from the Flex is more for a room like the bathroom however for my office it is fine and it does have a jack for plugging in external speakers if one wanted better sound.

I moved the Dot from the office into the bedroom where Alexa gives my wife a chuckle each night at bed time as the lights go off.
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.