Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Question for Everybody  (Read 9519 times)

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page
Re: Question for Everybody
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2008, 05:29:39 PM »

I guess the question from me is, what does "virtually 100%" mean? :)  Is it safe to say that any X10 system can only approach 100% reliability?

Also, I would think that any configuration that uses wireless modules (like DS10As, or MS1XAs e.g.) cannot work reliably 100% of the time because their is always the possibility that two or more transmitters could step on each other during transmission.

"Virtually" to me means everything works all the time as near as I can tell.  Before adding XTB there was one CFL table lamp in the living room that missed its "off" command a few times a year.  Since adding the XTB, the only "failures" (a light not coming on when it should) have been due to burnt out bulbs.  I can't recall anything not being in the correct state.

Of course, this house was designed to be X10 friendly.  All X10 devices are on the same phase, and most CFL ceiling circuits are isolated with filters.  And we have strong signals throughout.

Since there is the possibility of a collision with multiple sources, the Ocelot pretty much runs everything.  The only motion detectors we have are either for direct 120V control or are hard wired into Ocelot digital inputs.

Ah, that does bring to mind one X10 issue.  We use Leviton 16400's to trigger macros in the Ocelot.  Some of those send a lot of X10 traffic.  A second 16400 command while the Ocelot is transmitting can cause a collision, so, I just don't do that.

For example, one macro sets up an irrigation cycle for the next day, and illuminates the 16400 LEDs for the zones scheduled.  If I also want to trigger a particular zone NOW, then I either do that first, or wait until the LEDs have been switched on.

Jeff

X-10 automation since the BSR days

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2008, 10:04:55 PM »

If you use TM751's, there's always a strong chance of collisions.  2 RR501's won't step on each other.  I have 2 RR501's. one on housecode A (controls 3 lamp modules in the Living  Room and the other in the "Breakfast Room on housecode F that controls an applicance module controlling a swag light (with a CFL in it) and an overhead florescent light with a module controlling it and a wall switch controlling the overhead lights in the Kitchen.

As far as the timers on 100% of all modules in the house, ZERO problems, all timers and my single keypress macro execute properly every day of the year.  I have 10 different .ahx files for use at certain times of the year. 
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

Oldtimer

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 45
  • Line Noise & Signal Sucker Fatigue Syndrome
    • Oldtimer's X10 Forum Home Page
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2008, 10:17:37 PM »

I have AHP version 3.228 Windows XP Home, an assortment of lamp, appliance and Socket Rockets, plus 2 RR501 transceivers and a several MC460 desktop controllers.  My house is a small one with 220 volt 3 phase service with a 0.1 uF 250 VAC Capacitor in my electric stove outlet to bridge the X10 signals on both phases.

I have never had any problem with any interface or software from day 1 (middle 1980's).  Anybody else have a trouble free X10 installation?   

Check out the diagrams accessible via my X10 home page to see the extent of my home electronics installation.

With that in mind let me say that I have never had a perfectly reliable installation either where we live now or in our previous home.  I have no way to put a percentage on it.  However the programs that run are sufficiently reliable for us to forget about the installation for weeks at a time and simply take their benefits for granted! I'm satisfied with that and they also have a high WAF.

In addition the so called AWAY programs, that are activated when we are not home for one or two weeks at a time, have literally never failed us.  Granted under these circumstances the complex environmental control routines are deactivated for safety reasons and I've included additional special routines that automatically reset the system every day to correct the effect of any glitches that may have occurred during the preceding 24 hours.

All things considered X10 has provided us with a very cost effective home automation system.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2009, 10:27:08 PM by Oldtimer »
Having "fun" with X-10 since 1980.

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2008, 07:18:27 PM »

Everything works virtually 100%.

Jeff

I quess the question from me is, what does "virtually 100%" mean?

As a retired (American) government person.... I would say: No standard can be set Virtually. Meaning the quality of performance would need to be measured against against the number of tests. 500 positive tests would most certainly be 100% (and 499 positives out of 500 tests would NOT be 100%). But by most American standards 2,490 positives out of 2500 tests would also be 100% (I know that sounds strange). And I am certainly not trying to split hairs here.

That said.... the true "gut feelings" I've always have got here.... is no one ever suggests anyone base their life-support equipment on X10. Yet most of us true users know X10 can be VERY reliable.

Great thread.... Thanks Dan.

Home Automation is an always changing technology

PajamaGuy

• Helpful Post Rating: 32
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2008, 07:06:37 AM »

OldTimer - Yahoo can't find your X10 drawing??
PajamaGuy
Win-7 - Dell XPS -Automation
VA12a on a dedicated desktop - Video
XTB-IIR & V572RF32

Remote via LogMeIn (FREE) and Ignition

Oldtimer

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 45
  • Line Noise & Signal Sucker Fatigue Syndrome
    • Oldtimer's X10 Forum Home Page
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2008, 09:43:30 AM »

OldTimer - Yahoo can't find your X10 drawing??

PajamaGuy Thank you for taking the time to let me know!  The file was on the site but the problem was a corrupt link in the home/index page.  The link was spelled correctly but I had to recreate the link for it to work.    Another computer mystery.  While I was at it I also updated the on line drawing copy.
Having "fun" with X-10 since 1980.

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2008, 08:09:33 PM »

Great thread.... Thanks Dan.

:)+
I wish I could say my setup was 100% reliable but there are just to many things(power failures to name one) that will case my system to not work as expected! ::)
But for the most part every thing works that is suppost to, until someone unplugs my CM15A and forgets to plug it back in :' It can take a week before I know for sure that a new electrical device isn't going to cause me issues!
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

PajamaGuy

• Helpful Post Rating: 32
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2008, 01:15:36 PM »

someone unplugs my CM15A and forgets to plug it back in

You could glue a DS10a to the CM15a ... and set a Phantom...and take a snapshot of the perp... and...and... rofl
PajamaGuy
Win-7 - Dell XPS -Automation
VA12a on a dedicated desktop - Video
XTB-IIR & V572RF32

Remote via LogMeIn (FREE) and Ignition

Tuicemen

• Administrator
  • Helpful Post Rating: 282
  • I don't work for X10, I use it successfuly!
« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2008, 03:35:36 PM »

rofl I know who the perp is!  ::)
I'm told it won't happen again! ::) 
-:) Now when my WAF drops I just remind her "It only works if the unit is plugged in honey!" :'  rofl
Please Read Topic:
General Forum Etiquette
Before you post!

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2008, 05:54:39 PM »

..."It only works if the unit is plugged in honey!"
Plugging in can help the WAF in more ways than one.  ;)
« Last Edit: June 23, 2008, 05:59:09 PM by steven r »
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)
Pages: 1 [2]

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.