Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Curious Light Diming Behavior  (Read 2359 times)

jayhalloran

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
Curious Light Diming Behavior
« on: June 20, 2008, 07:34:41 PM »

A couple of weeks ago I installed a security system in my home that worked as advertized.  However, "Install in less than 30 minutes" is a real stretch.  It took me almost that long to open the packages and insure that everything was there.  Another 30 or more minutes to read the manuals, etc. etc.  Anyway, after a couple of days I had it all working to better than my expectation.  I also installed a like system for a neighbor because she liked mine.  Enough on that so here is the problem:

I was so happy with the security system that I decided to order a home automation package and a few extra sensors and controls.  So far, this has been a real PITA.  Just a couple of the problems are outlined below:

My HR12As and SH624s would turn on and off lights just as they should.  However, they would not dim or brighten the lights.  After much fiddling around I discovered that if I unplugged the C15A all controllers would dim and brighten correctly.  If I plugged the C15A back into the wall then the dim/brighten problem returned.  If I unplugged the PS561 controller/dialer then normal operation returned to both the HR12As and SH624s.  Apparently both the PS561 and C15A receive the rf signal and repeat it on the power line causing a fatal collision for the dim/brighten bit stream. I tried plugging the PS561 and C15A into different house power phases but that didn't help.  Either I am doing something wrong or this is a design flaw.  I found nothing in the company documentation about this but I would be surprised if I am the only one to stumble upon this problem.  If anyone has a work-around or knows what I am doing wrong, please HELP!

The other more major problem I am having is trying to create macros based on a motion sensor AND a time condition.  I can create a macro that will successfully turn on a light based on detected motion and then turn the light out after a delay.  When I try to add a condition like "nighttime" the macro still turns the light on and off during daylight hours.  I have tried several combinations of timing and none of them worked.  I thought I solved this problem a couple of days ago but the reality is, I developed a brain cramp from dealing with this problem late into the night and only fooled myself.

In the short time I have been using this software I have become favorably impressed with the concept and relative ease of use.  However, there are several non-standard implimentations of controls such as buttons and drop down lists that tend to confuse long time Windows users.  That and the sometimes inconsistent behavior of the hardware is only a little disappointing.  All in all, once I get these problems solved, I will be happy.  It's hard to complain too loud about bargain priced software. 

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Re: Curious Light Diming Behavior
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2008, 09:26:13 PM »

A couple of weeks ago I installed a security system in my home ........in less than 30 minutes" ...............
I was so happy with the security system that I decided to order a home automation package and a few extra sensors and controls. ..........

To make it easier for me to reply.... I edited your quotes.

Almost every X10 product can easily be installed in 30 minutes or less...... I like to allow a week-end.

.......... Apparently both the PS561 and C15A receive the rf signal and repeat it on the power line causing a fatal collision for the dim/brighten bit stream. ................. please HELP!

Don't try to pile everything on the same House code (the house code is the "letters", unit codes are "numbers"). Then set the CM15A to NOT tranceive any code that is being controlled by other means (your security "house code").

The other more major problem I am having is trying to create macros based on a motion sensor AND a time condition.  I can create a macro that will successfully turn on a light based on detected motion and then turn the light out after a delay.  When I try to add a condition like "nighttime" the macro still turns the light on and off during daylight hours.  I have tried several combinations of timing and none of them worked.  I thought I solved this problem a couple of days ago but the reality is, I developed a brain cramp from dealing with this problem late into the night and only fooled myself.

You could create a "dummy" module... and turn it on and off based on daylight/night-time (modules seem to work better for me than "time based" conditionals). Do remember.... for the CM15A to be able to "remember" if the module is on/off.... it will have to be on the monitored code.

In the short time I have been using this software I have become favorably impressed with the concept and relative ease of use.  However, there are several non-standard implimentations of controls such as buttons and drop down lists that tend to confuse long time Windows users.  ............
I haven't heard of any plans of Microsoft planning on becoming more like X10..... for now... we'll just have to count our blessings.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2008, 09:32:02 PM by Dave_x10_L »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.