Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Any insight why timer fails?  (Read 2764 times)

paul warshawsky

• Helpful Post Rating: 5
Any insight why timer fails?
« on: June 21, 2008, 10:49:10 PM »

I just don't get it...  My CM15a seems to reliably be able to control a certain light (i.e. I can turn it on and off from the AHP software with the CM15a connected to the computer) and yet my timer seems to fail in a reliable pattern.  I have timers that turn this light on Friday night (always works) and again on Saturday (never works).  I have created an entire new AHX file (when renaming all my modules to get a more consistent setup) so it isn't some bug hiding in the file.  I have recreated the condition of all the lights when the timer fails and I can still control that light from the AHP software, so its not a case of bad reception created by certain lights being on.

Does the CM15a send signals differently when it is connected to the computer?  Does the signal sent when turning something on/off from AHP differ from the signal sent from a timer?

My next step is to leave the computer on and connected to check the activity monitor (my computer is usually off during these times).  I hope to confirm that the CM15 is trying to turn on this light, but I can't for the life of me see any reason why it wouldn't....

Anyone have any insight?

Paul

PajamaGuy

• Helpful Post Rating: 32
Re: Any insight why timer fails?
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2008, 07:02:32 AM »

Checking the Activity Monitor when/after the timer is supposed to trigger is the right troubleshooting step.  Changing or adding multiple triggers 15-30 min apart is another.  As preventative maintenance, I clear the CM15A, unplug and remove the batteries for 30 seconds every week or two, or whenever a module comes on or turns off when it shouldn't.  I haven't tried timing anything specifically for Saturday night (maybe you found a bug?) - what time Saturday? - I'll try one of mine.
PajamaGuy
Win-7 - Dell XPS -Automation
VA12a on a dedicated desktop - Video
XTB-IIR & V572RF32

Remote via LogMeIn (FREE) and Ignition

paul warshawsky

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2008, 11:04:21 PM »

So in answer to my own question it seems to be interference from a light that is on when the timer is used but was off during my tests.  I have written about this in a new post, but briefly a particular light that is on in the basement interferes with the ability of the CM15a (top floor of my home) to control a socket rocket (main floor).  Took me an hour to figure this out but the problem seems to be 100% reproducible: if the light is on I cannot control the lamp from the CM15a, if it is off I have 100% control!

Paul

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2008, 01:07:41 AM »

...if the light is on I cannot control the lamp from the CM15a, if it is off I have 100% control!...
Is the light a florescent one by any chance?
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

paul warshawsky

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2008, 07:45:02 AM »

Yup - CFL.  I have many other CFLs in the house and don't seem to have any problems with them.

Paul

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.