Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 16

Author Topic: BVC (Bill's Voice Commander) (Visual BASIC version)  (Read 352247 times)

azzar0

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
Re: BVC (Bill's Voice Commander) (Visual BASIC version)
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2007, 02:07:42 PM »

Everyone using BVC or BXVC should donate. Think about it this way - Bill donates his time, patience, and knowledge, amongst other things, and we enjoy the benefits without the headaches associated with developing an application.

Speaking of improvements - I can't wait for the infrared stuff to work! My kids keep asking me why 'James' can't turn the TV on :)
Oh - what do I need to be able to send IR commands? I mean what hardware component? And how do I hook it up into the existing system?

I am not sure if this is on your list or not, Bill, but I would like to see it implemented when you get a chance: switch profiles so that different members of the family can talk to the system and be understood. For instance, if one the family members says "This is John", then BVC switches to John's speech profile. It will stay on that profile until someone else takes over ("This is Ashley"), etc. BVC can be configured to start up with either the last used profile or the default profile, etc.

Thanks!

azzar0

« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2007, 02:53:40 PM »

Bill,

I ran across this on my searches and thought it might help:
http://www.chipmunkav.com/

They produce an audio/video software control package and have an available SDK for plug-in development (you get a free license with that). It might be helpful for you to interact with other products, at least until you get BVC up and going in that direction. If nothing else you might see something they've done  and you could replicate that functionality in BVC. In any event, check it out and make your own decision.

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2007, 08:20:06 PM »

Over 100,000 views of the BVC - BXVC thread. This is a very BIG DEAL.

« Last Edit: October 18, 2009, 10:29:21 AM by Dave_x10_L »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

azzar0

« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2007, 09:32:33 PM »

Bill,

Is there a way to keep a log of what commands BVC *thinks* it received? Sometimes I am too far from the PC and I don't have the nearby speakers on and I am not sure what he says, but I know it's not the command I gave. If we had a way to check the last say 250 commands received we could go back and see what it thought we said (and explain some lights on that weren't supposed to be on, etc).
Thanks!

-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 81
  • He's just this guy. You know?
    • wgjohns.com
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2007, 10:03:49 PM »

I copied this from the X10 stats Page. Over 100,000 views of the BVC - BXVC thread. This is a very BIG DEAL.

Then add another 262 or so views of this thread!   :o

:o   :o  WOW!   :o   :o
-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)
bill@wgjohns.com

In the real world, the only constant is change.

When I'm online you can find me in the Home Automation Chat Room!

-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)

• Advanced Member
    • wgjohns.com
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2007, 10:25:27 PM »

Bill,

Just charge a reasonable price. You will do fine. Its more work, but more return as well.
Remember record tracking and paperwork overhead costs are not free, which is an added benefit for your customers.
Free updates for one year, and keep in database so you can email back and show latest improvements made.
And just use this site as your help line   :)

I already try to keep track of the email addresses of users so I can tell them about updates, and I have a forum similar to this one on my site for tech support -n- such (although few bother to use it).   ???

Or I can be your business manager and set a price with you and design/maintain support and costing centers.
I can use all the help I can get.  Obviously I'm not much of a "business man"!  However, I can't even afford to pay myself!   ::)

Oh yeah Bill, Power Basic may be a good alternative since its closer to machine language efficiency and simpler coding as well
(once you get the correct structures down). But there was one communication flaw I don't yet remember what it was.
It may be its an internal language and can interface with almost any language internally; but it doesn't communicate with external
devices due to too many complexities (or something like that - you probably know). They have a good help site, but no one shares anything too useful.
Mostly ex IT's crying about Indians taking their jobs and trying to get you to hire them.

If you can use Power Basic, its a good deal. And its uniqueness is kind of like a copy protection, although they have many other ways.
You do need pretty good 'vision' to program with it. VB would qualify since its harder I think.

But that's only if you are feeling frisky I guess    ;D

Good Luck!!

Thanks for the input.   :)
For now I think I will stick with VB Express (better the devil you know).  ;)
-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)
bill@wgjohns.com

-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)

• Advanced Member
    • wgjohns.com
« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2007, 11:23:48 PM »

Speaking of improvements - I can't wait for the infrared stuff to work! My kids keep asking me why 'James' can't turn the TV on :)
Oh - what do I need to be able to send IR commands? I mean what hardware component? And how do I hook it up into the existing system?

The device I am working with at present is the USB-UIRT (I personally prefer the "USB-UIRT w/additional 56KHz IR Sensor
*BLACK USB CABLE*", as some remotes use 56KHz and it is only $5.00 more!).  It hooks up to the computer running BVC through a USB port.
If you choose to order one, please try and tell them that "bill@wgjohns.com" sent you!  I am trying to work out a deal with them to get a better price for BVC users and / or a small commission for improving their sales!  (every little bit helps!)  ;)  However, I don't think they are taking me seriously so far!   :(

I am not sure if this is on your list or not, Bill, but I would like to see it implemented when you get a chance: switch profiles so that different members of the family can talk to the system and be understood. For instance, if one the family members says "This is John", then BVC switches to John's speech profile. It will stay on that profile until someone else takes over ("This is Ashley"), etc. BVC can be configured to start up with either the last used profile or the default profile, etc.

Yes, this is most definitely on my to-do list!  Either having multiple "recognition profiles" active at once or having a way to tell it to switch "recognition profiles".
-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)
bill@wgjohns.com

-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)

• Advanced Member
    • wgjohns.com
« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2007, 11:28:07 PM »

Bill,

Is there a way to keep a log of what commands BVC *thinks* it received? Sometimes I am too far from the PC and I don't have the nearby speakers on and I am not sure what he says, but I know it's not the command I gave. If we had a way to check the last say 250 commands received we could go back and see what it thought we said (and explain some lights on that weren't supposed to be on, etc).
Thanks!

Good idea!   :D

It should be possible not only to log the "recognized phrase" but maybe even to log a recording of what it heard, i.e. the actual microphone audio!

Will take some work though, so don't expect it really soon.  ;)
-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)
bill@wgjohns.com

azzar0

« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2007, 07:22:26 PM »

Good idea!   :D

It should be possible not only to log the "recognized phrase" but maybe even to log a recording of what it heard, i.e. the actual microphone audio!

Will take some work though, so don't expect it really soon.  ;)

Push the actual microphone audio upgrade until later ;) A simple log would be sufficient for most of us, I think.

-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)

• Advanced Member
    • wgjohns.com
« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2007, 02:54:04 AM »

Well, Drat!   >:(

BVC 0.0.0.0 has a bug!   :o
      If you set the Attention Phrase Response to "Speak a custom phrase" it always spoke the default phrase "Awaiting command." instead of the phrase you typed in to the text box!

Thanks to GLT for pointing this out!   8)

Fortunately I have splatted it!   ;D
      So, BVC version 0.0.0.1 is now posted at: http://www.wgjohns.com/bvc.htm
-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)
bill@wgjohns.com

essp2003

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2007, 03:31:10 PM »

Just looked over your commands to date. WOW!!! One line of code missed rounds off to zero with 9 decimal place accuracy  ;D

That is truely incredible. VB is the best language since it intefaces with multiple level devices, and you can't fight Bill gates and Msft. That's the only reservation I have about usind Linux for anything. Eventually, Bill Gates will crush it. I think he's like the unspoken UK King of America.

With H.264 interface realitime/capture software and H.264 capture card, just adding on top of my deluxe workstation will work fine. And I know Bill Gates will not go out of business any time this century. And that way can use my dvd's for recording specific designated alerts.

I could just imagine watching my terrorist neighbors on cameras with subwoofers blasting in driveway, and say, "Listen up, North Ultrasonics,  Nausea strength, Audible level for 15 seconds, Ion ray gun, blasts every 30 seconds for 30 minutes, South Ultrasoinics, Hyperactive Strength, Rest BVC". LOL

Bill, that is incredible, truely incredible. Just the Star Trek fans alone should make you rich. Except for IR capability and reporting, you have enough of a package to bottle now. Don't get squeezed in endless trivial laundry lists. THINK BIG!! This is the best technical product I've seen at least this century, and only Bill Gates has you beat last century, lol (but you have him and thousands of Indians and Chinese programmers beat this century so far).

Good Job!!

« Last Edit: June 23, 2007, 03:36:17 PM by essp2003 »

-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)

• Advanced Member
    • wgjohns.com
« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2007, 03:22:27 AM »

Just looked over your commands to date. WOW!!! One line of code missed rounds off to zero with 9 decimal place accuracy  ;D

That is truely incredible.

Yeah, I guess when you put it like that, I have a better track record than most for putting out "bug free" software!   ;D
Still, it bothers me that I missed that!   :o

Bill, that is incredible, truely incredible. Just the Star Trek fans alone should make you rich. Except for IR capability and reporting, you have enough of a package to bottle now. Don't get squeezed in endless trivial laundry lists. THINK BIG!! This is the best technical product I've seen at least this century, and only Bill Gates has you beat last century, lol (but you have him and thousands of Indians and Chinese programmers beat this century so far).

Good Job!!

Thanks!   ;D
I'm not sure BVC stacks up to Windows.  Besides, to give credit where credit is due, the VR engine that makes BVC possible is actually Microsoft's.  ;)

You know, as much of a "Star Trek" fan as I am, and in as much as "Star Trek" was a major inspiration to me, I can't believe that it had never occurred to me to find some "Star Trek" fan sites to post about BVC on!   :o   Thanks for the idea!  :D
« Last Edit: June 24, 2007, 03:29:17 AM by -Bill- (of wgjohns.com) »
-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)
bill@wgjohns.com

essp2003

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2007, 12:36:05 PM »

Bill,

Although Microsoft own's VR, it was actually created by Lernout & Hauspie: Microsoft just bought the rights after they went bankrupt - $$$.
Another good msft deal like dos and windows itself. Cash is King!

You need to incorporate fast, lol   ;D

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

And if you can tell if the message was not completely received to match a db item, you can have it respond in a woman android voice,
"That does not compute, please request again".  Go back and look at old Star Treks and see every computer response and emulate it.
Not only for the trekeys, but for almost everyones subliminal concious. Hey  wow   :D
« Last Edit: June 24, 2007, 01:45:20 PM by essp2003 »

-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)

• Advanced Member
    • wgjohns.com
« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2007, 09:50:19 PM »

They say; "Imitation is the highest form of flattery."  That being the case, I suppose I should be flattered by the fact that homevista just posted today that his (their?) software "HomeZix" now has a free add-on module to support Voice Control.

See the posts: Topic: HomeZix voice commander and Topic: Let's have a conversation with your home.

The description, (no, I haven't tried the HomeZix software myself), sounds like they have implemented something like BVC's "Custom Commands", (i.e. you must define each command you want it to recognize manually and then speak it exactly as defined and if you want it to recognize both "on" and "off" for a device, you have to define two separate commands), without any of the built-in command logic BVC has that lets you simply define a "Device" with a name and then immediately be able to issue commands "naturally", (i.e. varying the order of words, as in; "turn the light on" or "turn on the light" and even adding in words, as in; "turn the darn light on" or "Would you please turn on the light").

Well, can't blame him (them?) for jumping on the Voice Recognition band wagon, can we?   :D  It is the 21st century after all!  :o

My only regret is that I am only one person with a limited amount of time to devote to programming.  Never the less, I shall keep plugging away at developing BVC (even if I end up being the only one using it :'( )!  ;D

Anyway, back to working on the IR interface.   ;D
« Last Edit: July 10, 2007, 09:56:14 PM by -Bill- (of wgjohns.com) »
-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)
bill@wgjohns.com

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #29 on: July 10, 2007, 10:07:57 PM »

(even if I end up being the only one using it :'( )!  ;D

I will give up BVC only when they pry it out of my cold dead........ computer.

Homevista's entry into voice control is a well deserved form of high flattery (you should be blushing). You should also expect more imitations to pop-up as time goes by. But it will be hard to beat the years of user-feedback that has been intergrade into your program.
Home Automation is an always changing technology
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 16

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.