Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Minitimer LCD Display Problem and Fix  (Read 6070 times)

alexmyron

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
Minitimer LCD Display Problem and Fix
« on: June 25, 2008, 11:23:12 AM »

After 6 months, several parts of the Minitimer LCD digits started dissappearing. I took it apart and found the ribbon attached to the circuit board was either lifting or corroding eventually over time.
To repair it requires steady hands, magnifier, knife and silver circuit paint. I scraped off the coating over the ribbons conductive paths and with a toothpick dipped in the conductive paint I drew small traces over from the ribbon to the board.
Now the digits work again. Seems to be a manufacture defect but with a bit of talent, good as new.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: Minitimer LCD Display Problem and Fix
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2008, 12:09:30 PM »

Thank you for sharing the fix.

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2008, 03:00:11 PM »

How long is the warranty?
I applaud your skill but it it had more than a 6 month warranty I'd of sent mine back to X10.
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

alexmyron

« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2008, 02:14:02 PM »

Mine was slightly modified with a bracket would've voided warranty, even after RMA#'s and shipping.. my 10 minutes fix avoided that.

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2008, 04:00:12 PM »

Most of us wouldn't of even had all the parts on hand. i.e. While not nearly as long as waiting for an RMA replacement, I would of spent way over ten minutes and probably $10 finding the conductive paint. How much is X10 giving those Minitimers away for now?  :)

BTW.. Where does one find conductive paint and how much does it cost? You've made a good case for having some around.

I hate to throw anything out and if having some conductive paint can save the day then maybe I should keep some around.
As an example of what an electronic pack rat I am, I still have the first pager I ever got from a time before cell phones.

Boy was I excited to see this YouTube clip.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUSTXUis_ys

For anyone else that gets inspired, Electronic Goldmine has pager motors on sale for just $1.29.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2008, 04:12:06 PM by steven r »
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2008, 01:15:01 PM »

Boy was I excited to see this YouTube clip.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUSTXUis_ys

For anyone else that gets inspired, Electronic Goldmine has pager motors on sale for just $1.29.

Way too cool!
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

alexmyron

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2008, 05:43:07 PM »

Being a gadget freak and hobbiest for many years I came across badly adhered ribbon on either circuit  boards or the glass LCDs that cause missing digit display segments. Having just reglueing or clamping isn't usually sucessful and you can't solder these type of ribbons.
Giving up searching for an answer I ended up with this fix and used the technique on several clocks etc over a few years.
You will have to get the paint in either a pencil or bottle. WWW.newark.com has several kinds one called circuitwriter  try maybe the electronic supply companies or also the automotive supply companies that label it Rear window defrost repair paint.
The $29 "Minitimer 2" I purchased uses the inferior ribbon and so I ended up with this fix once again.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2008, 12:34:12 PM by alexmyron »

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.