Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Lamp won't work in one room  (Read 3679 times)

icast

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Lamp won't work in one room
« on: July 04, 2008, 01:39:04 PM »

I have set up my x10 lamps in all room with no problems except the master bedroom. I have tried 2 lamps and 2 different modules and they won't work. I have tested these same lamps and modules in every room in the house including the bathroom and they work just fine. I have unplugged everything to make sure there wasn't interference. I have tested all outlets to make sure they are all wired up right and they are. The lights work fine when plugged in with out the x10 module. The lamp will work on a manual dial type timer. The lamps won't work when plugged into a switch that you can use to touch the light for off and on. All help greatly appreciated. I've spent 3 hours on this so far.

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
Re: Lamp won't work in one room
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2008, 03:07:24 PM »

I have set up my x10 lamps in all room with no problems except the master bedroom. I have tried 2 lamps and 2 different modules and they won't work. I have tested these same lamps and modules in every room in the house including the bathroom and they work just fine. I have unplugged everything to make sure there wasn't interference. I have tested all outlets to make sure they are all wired up right and they are. The lights work fine when plugged in with out the x10 module. The lamp will work on a manual dial type timer. The lamps won't work when plugged into a switch that you can use to touch the light for off and on. All help greatly appreciated. I've spent 3 hours on this so far.

You have some kind of noise problem in that room, probably a TV or Computer.  Some TV's and virtually all computers are noise generators that block X10 signals. 

I presume you have Active Home Pro and the CM15A interface.
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

icast

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2008, 03:20:48 PM »

I unplugged everything in the room. Tv and clock were the only things other than the light I can't get to work. Could it be the ceiling fan? It has aremote control.

paul warshawsky

• Helpful Post Rating: 5
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2008, 03:32:20 PM »

Ceiling fan could be problem (I think even if it is off, depending on how it is wired - if it is possible to unplug it completely, try doing this.)  May be a phase problem (search "phase" and you'll get many hits on what this is and how to deal with it.)  Are you running these lights from macros and timers (from the CM15a) or just using remote controls (from a transceiver).  Try moving the CM15a or transceiver into a different location (sometimes a different plug in the same room may help, usually to a different part of the house.)  Sometimes the source of interference can be totally unpredicted or unpredictable (I has some trouble with compact fluorescent bulbs - these can cause a lot of trouble.)

Good luck,

Paul

icast

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2008, 04:31:53 PM »

I'm running them on cm15a timers no macros. Can't move cma15 since it's hooked up to computer. Thanks for the info on "phase" I'll do that next.

paul warshawsky

• Helpful Post Rating: 5
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2008, 04:43:09 PM »

I have found it better not to have my cm15a connected to the computer - it isn't really necessary if you are just using it for timers.  The computer creates a fair amount of noise and corrupts the signal right at the source.  I'm lucky because I have two circuits in the room where my computer is, so I leave the CM15a in the other circuit and just run the USB cable when I need to change something.  Definitely avoid plugging the CM15a into a power bar or UPS.  The best place for it is usually close to the breaker box (it can communicate easily with all the circuits in your home.)  Once your setup is complete, you may find that you are able to go weeks to months without connecting to the computer.  Fixing a phase problem is not that simple, so consider running the CM15a unplugged and seeing if this fixes your problem.

Paul

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2008, 05:04:04 PM »

I don't think the fan is the problem. I have 3 modules in my Dining Room which also has an overhead fan.  The 3 modules control different lights and a window fan and all the timers work properly every day.

The cheap & simple was to bridge the phases is a 0.1 uF 250 VAC Capacitor wired across the contacts in a outlet for an electric stove.  Electric stoves are 220 volt.  The capacitor bridges the phases and carries the X10 signals, but the stove doesn't know it's there.
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.