Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Eagle Eye  (Read 8180 times)

pribco

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Eagle Eye
« on: July 04, 2008, 02:17:39 PM »

First of all-thanks to Zack, Challenged, Brian et al for all the help given setting up my little system.  Zack-the link you supplied on programming Commander was a great help--far better than the printed stuff supplied.  It really is easy once you understand the sequence.

Now for another question-

I am having problems with the range of the Eagle Eye--as others have posted, the range is limited to be sure, and I really don't want to spring for another $65 for the repeater (x-10 is out of stock anyway.) The Eagle Eye is mounted under the camera, which works fine.

Have read all the suggestions on this problem and am wondering if the passive antenna (i8 inch wire fastened to the Eagle Eye) or the idea of winding wire around the Commander antenna have meret. 

Trust me-I do not have the skill to do the internal mods some of you have done.

Thanks in advance, Bill

x10challanged

• Helpful Post Rating: 5
Re: Eagle Eye
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2008, 05:30:49 PM »

Pribco,
Sorry to see they raised the price on the repeaters, I got mine off e-bay for 19.99 in Jan 08 now they're 49.99 guess they got smart and greedy.
As far as range I feel anything is worth a try before opening the case, you never know, what didn't work for someone else might work for you.  I have also found that (sorry if I repeat myself) moving the eagle eye a few inches one way or the other sometimes helps with reception.  Kind of like when you move the camera antenna to improve reception a hair one way or the other.

Since the SR731 is no longer manufactured maybe someone can tell us if the "Ramsey RRW1AC Wireless IR/RF Repeater" would work????  I don't know, but if someone is listening I bet they can tell us. Looks like it is an IR converter but for 23.00?
« Last Edit: July 04, 2008, 05:51:48 PM by x10challanged »

Dan Lawrence

• Helpful Post Rating: 68
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2008, 06:55:07 PM »

If the SR731 is no longer manufactured then why is it still featured on the X10 website:  http://www.x10.com/products/x10_sr731.htm.  Riddle me this, Batman?
I don't SELL this stuff... BUT I sure do ENJOY using it!!!

pribco

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2008, 07:59:51 PM »

From what I read the Ramsey dohicky is 433MHz--close, but no cigar--Bill

pribco

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2008, 08:01:43 PM »

Dan-repeater still made, but listed as out of stock today.  Stll, more $ than worth.  Bill

x10challanged

• Helpful Post Rating: 5
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2008, 06:47:25 AM »

If the SR731 is no longer manufactured then why is it still featured on the X10 website: http://www.x10.com/products/x10_sr731.htm. Riddle me this, Batman?

Well, Robin - That's a really good question,  I was repeating what I have seen on probably 15 websites that also feature the SR731 once you get to the cart it either says "discontinued"  or "discontinued by manufacturer" obviously mis-information.  My mistake I will verify x-10 stock first next time I apologize.  Thanks for clarifying that for us I see it is now available from X-10 again.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2008, 10:12:29 AM »

Many of the alternate automaton sites show both the X10 and X10Pro version of the repeater; as Discontinued.

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2008, 09:38:16 PM »

... does Batman really read this forum?

P.S.  I use the X10 motion sensor floodlights to trigger my cameras ON. Of course the VCR Commander requires a RF "on" that the floodlights don't provide. So I have a macro (AHP-CM15A) that sends a "RF on" for the VCR Commander. A little complex..... but WELL WORTH the $50!

I even go an extra step.... as I have added a voice announcement that warns intruders. You can view the setup on my YouTube Video from my BVC Fan Page.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2009, 12:55:50 AM by Dave_x10_L »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

pribco

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2008, 08:50:13 AM »

OK, Gentlemen-thanks for thr input, but back to the main subject--the Eagle Eye transmit power-

I have the TM751 transciever, the basic Commander, the Eagle Eye and two cammeras.

The problem is that the Eagle Eye does not trigger the tranciever when the EE is where I want it.(on the garrage door facing which is metal clad-the garage doors are also metal) It does trigger the tranciver in a different location(dining room window)

Have tried thr passive antenna thing with no success.

Questions are--

1. Is the Active Eye a stronger motion detector--or is it just better from a programming standpoint?

2.  If I get another TM752 and but it at a halfway point, will this tranciever "rebroadcast" to the one in the family room?  Would the RR501 be better? If this would possibly work, would my remote CR12A still work to switch cameras?

Hope this makes a little sense.

Bill

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2008, 10:20:41 AM »

Mounting on metal will detune the motion sensors and block the RF from being sent. The Antenna is on the back side of the motion sensor and metal is a no no. Try mounting it on a piece of wood or spacing it maybe 2" off the metal backing and see if that helps. Even if temporary as a test.

Maybe a closer receiver MAY receive the signal but it is a gamble.

The RR501 I don't believe has a better receiver in it. Though it also has a powerline receiver in it and is polite. It will wait until the powerline is clear. A TM751 has no powerline receiver and will step on other transmissions. So two TM751s could if both receive the same signal step on each other.

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2008, 03:45:12 PM »

2.  If I get another TM752 and but it at a halfway point, will this tranciever "rebroadcast" to the one in the family room?  Would the RR501 be better? If this would possibly work, would my remote CR12A still work to switch cameras?

No.... the only ways to REBROADCAST an RF signal is with the (now discontinued) repeater... or the CM15A, and a macro.

P.S.  I use the X10 motion sensor floodlights to trigger my cameras ON. Of course the VCR Commander requires a RF "on" that the floodlights don't provide. So I have a macro (AHP-CM15A) that sends a "RF on" for the VCR Commander. A little complex..... but WELL WORTH the $50!

Also [see below] Brian H is correct... trying to send RF through metal is a no no.... and maybe your entire problem.

Mounting on metal will detune the motion sensors and block the RF from being sent. The Antenna is on the back side of the motion sensor and metal is a no no. 
« Last Edit: July 06, 2008, 03:49:56 PM by Dave_x10_L »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2008, 06:15:06 PM »

Lots of good help here on all sorts of X10 things: http://kbase.x10.com/wiki/Main_Page

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.