Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Keychain remote arming  (Read 6921 times)

Billaban

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
Keychain remote arming
« on: July 06, 2008, 08:48:29 AM »

Greetings,

I regularly have some difficulty arming my system when leaving home.  I press the ARM button and don't hear the confirmation tone.  Some time ago I discovered that if I press the DISARM button (and hear the confirmation tones) and then press ARM it usual will successfully arm the system.  A few weeks ago I put new batteries in my keychain remote and still got the same results.  I have several keychain remotes and have always gotten the same results.  Anybody else seen this behavior?

zach1234

Re: Keychain remote arming
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2008, 10:52:35 AM »

All I could say is that your range of the alarm is low. Have you stayed in the house and had someone arm the alarm from outside to get results. I end up doing that bi-weekly. you might want to invest in a RF Repeater http://tinyurl.com/x10repeater.

PajamaGuy

• Helpful Post Rating: 32
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2008, 11:36:06 AM »

Billaban - Is distance the issue?  What if you're next to the DS7000?
PajamaGuy
Win-7 - Dell XPS -Automation
VA12a on a dedicated desktop - Video
XTB-IIR & V572RF32

Remote via LogMeIn (FREE) and Ignition

Billaban

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2008, 08:29:21 PM »

Greetings,

If the RF range was the issue then wouldn't it make sense to have the same problem with DISARM? i.e., that doesn't appear to be the case......

I'll do some experimenting with closer range RF control and see what kind of results I get but based on the aforementioned I don't know what to deduce from this.

thanks.

tom j

• Helpful Post Rating: 16
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2008, 11:12:03 PM »

Greetings,

I regularly have some difficulty arming my system when leaving home.  I press the ARM button and don't hear the confirmation tone.  Some time ago I discovered that if I press the DISARM button (and hear the confirmation tones) and then press ARM it usual will successfully arm the system.  A few weeks ago I put new batteries in my keychain remote and still got the same results.  I have several keychain remotes and have always gotten the same results.  Anybody else seen this behavior?

hmmm..  Well actually this is suppose to be for reviews not trouble shooting, but anyway how many feet from the base are we talking about here?

Tom j.

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2008, 12:03:37 PM »

.............. I press the ARM button and don't hear the confirmation tone.  ......... if I press the DISARM button (and hear the confirmation tones) and then press ARM it usual will successfully arm the system. 

Anybody else seen this behavior?

I have........ but I contributed the experience to my own ability to detect rhythm... in addition to the tone [chime]. Much like being able to determind a song that is hummed or whistled. Rhythm is as important as tone. So having the two tones at a precisely timed interval doesn't just double my [anyones] chance to hear the faint chime... I think it doubles it times two. That would (does?) effectively increase the range of the disarm sound... but not the RF range of the remote.

« Last Edit: July 28, 2008, 12:05:19 PM by Dave_x10_L »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

Billaban

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2008, 12:15:10 PM »

Interesting. 

Apparently this isn't a common problem so it is not worth pursuing further.  I moved the console to a more central location and certainly improved the RF situation relative to my basement/garage exit door.  Since then I haven't noticed the problem.  I'm fairly certain that I would have heard the single tone for ARM just as easily as I have heard the double tone for DISARM, i.e., unless several doors (that are typically open) are closed the audio amplitude was pretty good.  In any case this doesn't appear to be a widespread problem so we can drop it.  >*<

thanks.

Billaban

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.