Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Set date range and days in timer or in the macro controlled by that timer?  (Read 8513 times)

dash

• Helpful Post Rating: 1

Hi

I'm updating from AH to AHP and am wondering how best to program timers as it seems there's a choice...

When triggering a macro with a timer I've got the option (in some cases) of setting date ranges and days of the week in either the timer or the macro (using conditions), or even set these ranges in both.

i.e. apart from the on time, I can leave all settings in the timer at default '1/1 to 31/12' and days at 'daily', then insert conditions in the macro to set date range and days of week.

In terms of efficient programming and most reliable operation of modules, which is the recommended option?

Any comments/personal experiences appreciated.

Thanks

Dave
Automation is great - but really frustrating when it doesn't work as expected !!

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10

Several years and several versions of AHP ago when I switched some had problems importing their AH files. I believe all that has been resolved. Anyway try importing your AH file. It could save you some time.
As with any computer program, backup is important. You should back up your *.ahx files regularly.
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

paul warshawsky

• Helpful Post Rating: 5

Dash,

I really think the answer depends on exactly what you are trying to do.  If you want to turn on a certain light on certain days (or a certain date range like during the summer) - I would personally go with timers.  I've always felt the macros don't behave exactly as you think they should and require some troubleshooting - the timers seem more reliable to me.

If, on the other hand, multiple things need to happen based on the same criteria (i.e. Tuesdays in winter turn on these five lights) then a macro with a timer on the macro may be more appropriate (than writing five timers.)

Can you tell us a bit more about what you intend to do??

Paul

dash

Dash,

I really think the answer depends on exactly what you are trying to do.  If you want to turn on a certain light on certain days (or a certain date range like during the summer) - I would personally go with timers.  I've always felt the macros don't behave exactly as you think they should and require some troubleshooting - the timers seem more reliable to me.

If, on the other hand, multiple things need to happen based on the same criteria (i.e. Tuesdays in winter turn on these five lights) then a macro with a timer on the macro may be more appropriate (than writing five timers.)

Can you tell us a bit more about what you intend to do??

Paul

Thanks Paul

I'm looking to turn on a series of lights on M,T,W,Th between 2 dates in one macro.

In another, I'm looking to turn on the same lights between two dates (back to back with the first macro) OR Fri, Sat, Sun for the remainder of the year.

So I guess in the first example I could use a timer or a macro, but in the second I'll have to use a conditional macro.

In the first example, the macro would read A1 on AND the date is between 10/24 and 2/6 AND the day of the week is exactly M,T,W,Th (leaving the timer A1 set at default 1/1 to 31/12 and Daily with only the on time specified).

In the second example, the macro would read A2 on AND the date is between 2/7 and 10/23 OR the day of the week is exactly Sun, Fri, Sat (leaving the timer A2 set at default 1/1 to 31/12 and Daily with only the on time specified).

The macros look simple enough, but do you think I may have problems doing it this way?

I can see that the first example could easily be run from a timer, but not the second which has the OR condition.

Looking forward to feedback...

Cheers

Dave ;)

Edit: I realise that I could do it all with timers by having the second timer do M,T,W,Th between 2/7 and 10/23 and another timer doing F,Sa,Sun all year.

Do you think this is what I should do? This is actually how my old AH is currently programmed...
« Last Edit: July 08, 2008, 03:49:53 AM by dash »
Automation is great - but really frustrating when it doesn't work as expected !!

paul warshawsky

• Helpful Post Rating: 5

As you have realized you can do this in either timers or macros.  My usual bias is to use timers - I just find them easier, but in your case I can think of some advantages to using macros:

1) If there are a lot of lights involved you can do it all with one macro
2) If you want to change the time/day sometime in the future you would only have to make one change to the macro instead of multiple changes to the timers

If you do decide to do this with a macro I suggest testing the macro with a remote control (like a palmpad) instead of triggering it from the AHP software.  You can then be in the actual room where the lights are (assuming you have a transceiver nearby) and this makes the macro run from the CM15a.  If I am correct I believe that when you trigger a macro from the computer the AHP software sends out the individual commands.

Good luck,

Paul

dash

Cheers Paul

I'll try the macro approach first and test as you suggest with a palmpad.

Dave

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.