Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: DS10A False Chimes  (Read 10694 times)

Farnk

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
DS10A False Chimes
« on: July 08, 2008, 02:44:01 PM »

I installed the Protector Plus last year when I built a new house, fell in love with it, and then added more door/window and motion sensors.  Everything works as designed.  However, once spring sprang, I wanted to leave some screened doors open during the day.  There is one door in particular that sends false signals, chiming as if the door was just opened (PS561 console is in Run2 position).  I know this is not possible because I prop the door open and it's on the second floor with no access to stairs - just a deck.  I have no kids or neighbors that would be pulling pranks (I've read many problems reported on this board).  Dig this - I even swapped the sensor with one down stairs and this particular door (not the sensor) continues to cause false chimes as if the door was just opened.  It is within 40 feet of the console, much closer than other sensors and has only a small 'beer' refrigerator 5 feet away between it and the console.  The only thing I can think of is the problem door has a metal-framed sliding screen door on the outside that may be causing interference.  But keep this in mind, the first floor has an exact model door (and screen) that does NOT have this problem.  Any thoughts?

Alan V

• Helpful Post Rating: 8
Re: DS10A False Chimes
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2008, 05:23:12 PM »

When you swapped DS10a units did you swap reed switches as well?  It would be nice to rule out the possibility of a defective reed switch.

Farnk

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2008, 09:14:30 AM »

No, I didn't swap the reeds as well.  This problem happens when I leave the door standing open, so the switch should have not been a part.  This problem does not happen on the door where I swapped the DS10A!

JMac

• Helpful Post Rating: 23
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2008, 09:29:02 AM »

Do you have the "OnAlert" plug-in ?  About every hour there is a sensor check (which you can see on the "Activity Monitor" page under"Tools").  I'm not sure if this will result in a chime or not as I don't use my system in Run2.  Just a thought.............

Farnk

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2008, 09:57:28 AM »

Thanks for the reply, guys.  Keep the suggestions coming.  The Protector Plus PS561 is a stand-alone model.  I believe you are referencing a PC-based program.  The difference between Run1 and Run2 is just that Run2 gives a pleasant 'bing-bong' chime any time a door is opened - a GREAT alert when you're concerned about young (grand)children opening a door and going outside.  This is the chime I hear at random while the door is propped open.  I can say this forum has sparked a thought - it doesn't seem to do it more than one or two times an hour, so it may be it's normal hourly reporting-in to the console, causing the chime.  However, it should not be reporting a change of status on an hourly basis since the door remains open.  And if it was the reed, it would have followed to the new door.  The same doorway causes this same reaction.  Aliens?

JMac

• Helpful Post Rating: 23
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2008, 11:12:33 AM »

The "report" is not a change in status, it's just to see if the sensor is functional.  At least that's my understanding of how it works.  I realize that you are using the system as a "stand alone", but maybe a quirk in the programming causes your problem.  I have left doors open for hours and have never gotten the chime (but then I don't use Run2, only Run1).

Alan V

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2008, 11:21:58 AM »

No, I didn't swap the reeds as well.  This problem happens when I leave the door standing open, so the switch should have not been a part.  This problem does not happen on the door where I swapped the DS10A!

What you say is true for a normally functioning reed switch.  But I have seen switches with bent reeds.  You may want to rule out the reed switch by swapping it out with another one.

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2008, 12:00:51 PM »

"This problem does not happen on the door where I swapped the DS10A!"

Then wouldn't that point to a bad switch on the door?
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

Farnk

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2008, 12:08:33 PM »

DaveW, No.  It shows the switch is fine when installed on the new door.  When the switch that came from the dowstairs door is in the problem location (upstairs door), the false chimes continue.  Hence, the switch doesn't matter!  The location/doorway seems to be the problem.

Alan V

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2008, 04:10:54 PM »

DaveW, No.  It shows the switch is fine when installed on the new door.  When the switch that came from the dowstairs door is in the problem location (upstairs door), the false chimes continue.  Hence, the switch doesn't matter!  The location/doorway seems to be the problem.

There appears to be some confusion here.  The reed switch is the small white plastic piece at the end of the two wires that are attached to the DS10A (the one with two screw terminals on it).  It appears that you have swapped out the DS10As while leaving the original reed switches attached to their respective door frames.  What we are suggesting is to swap out the reed switches.

Farnk

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2008, 07:01:52 PM »

Thanks, Alan.  When I swapped the sensor, I did not disconnect the reed attached to the wires; I moved that 'half' of the reed to the new door.  I *did* leave the unwired half of the reed - the part attached to the door - on the original door.  Following DaveW's advice, I was now going to move the original door-attached, unwired half of the reed to the new door so it will be with it's original sensor.  I don't think this will do anything, but you guys are sharp... I'm open to any and all suggestions - and thank you for them!

x10challanged

• Helpful Post Rating: 5
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2008, 08:01:51 PM »

Hi Farnk,
If this is the first time you have been leaving the door open.  I suggest you close the problem door and if possible open a different door or window for an hour or two to see if the chime you are receiving is indeed simply the sensor letting your console know it is still alive.  If you experience the same result on a different sensor I think it is safe to assume everything is fine just a notification that you have a working sensor telling you it is open.  If you do not get the same result then continue the troubleshooting.

Farnk

« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2008, 12:58:49 PM »

I will try this in the near future and report back.  Thank You for the input.

PajamaGuy

• Helpful Post Rating: 32
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2008, 07:30:04 AM »

All DS10a's transmit (RF) their current state once each hour.  If the contacts are open it reports "Triggered", if they're closed, it reports "Closed".

If the DS10a is registered with a DS7000, and if the DS7000 (or other Security Console) is set to RUN2, the chimes will sound whenever the DS10a sends a "Triggered" transmission.  If the door/window stays open, it will chime every hour.
PajamaGuy
Win-7 - Dell XPS -Automation
VA12a on a dedicated desktop - Video
XTB-IIR & V572RF32

Remote via LogMeIn (FREE) and Ignition

Farnk

« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2008, 06:30:42 PM »

The experiments are over and the verdict is in!!  :)%  The reed switches made no difference, but thanks for the suggestion Alan V.  PajamaGuy, although the console is not a DS7000, the PS561 functions the same.  When the ssensor/switch does it's hourly reporting in, the chime chimes.

I thank you all for your help and must say  #:) as this is my first use of this forum.  Thanks again, Farnk
Pages: [1] 2

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.