Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Multiple Cm15A's  (Read 21469 times)

adagio

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
Multiple Cm15A's
« on: July 09, 2008, 10:47:36 PM »

Can you have multiple CM15a's, one each one connected to a different computer, installed in a home?

zach1234

Re: Multiple Cm15A's
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2008, 11:03:38 PM »

Sure, I do that. Make sure to trun off the tranciver in one of the two.

Puck

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 171
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2008, 09:11:52 AM »

adagio: You can have multiple CM15As and AHP running from multiple PCs. Here are a few suggestions on this topic that I previously posted: Re: Suggestions on how to utilize two CM15A's with AHP?

If you have any specific questions or ideas on this topic, please post them.

liteglow

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2008, 07:44:27 AM »

what is the idea of more than one CM15 ?

What if both CM15 recive a signal and transmitt them to one unit at the same time, will it not chrash ?
And maybe send double signals...

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2008, 08:07:41 AM »

what is the idea of more than one CM15 ?

What if both CM15 recive a signal and transmitt them to one unit at the same time, will it not chrash ?
And maybe send double signals...

Yes, and this is why Zach1234 and Puck have made cautionary comments. If adagio intention was to get better transceiver coverage by using two CM15A he may indeed have "double signals", however the CM15A's are "polite", meaning they will "try" to avoid transmitting commands when there are other X10 commands being transmitted by other units. However if the two CM15's do not "see" each other, yes there will be signal crashes. Adagio has not said what is plan for two CM15s is.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

adagio

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2008, 05:34:28 PM »

I already have one CM15A connected to a dedicated PC that I am controlling with VB. It is monitoring for septic backup. I was thinking of getting another CM15A and using it with AHP to do other more typical functions in the house. I would not use them to control the same modules.

dave w

• Community Organizer
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2008, 09:10:22 PM »

Yup, if you have only one Cm15A handling the job of tranceiving, and segregate the modules, you should have no problems.

myron18

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2008, 10:26:58 PM »

I'm also using 2 CM15As, one on each leg of the 220 line. I found that when I went from incandescent lamps to CFLs, I could no longer control lamps on all circuits. I assume that the appliance modules needed a stronger signal to operate. I read about peoples experiences with AHP's recommendations, and I decided that for a few dollars more, I'd buy the second CM15A.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2008, 06:46:34 AM »

The appliance modules should not need a stronger signal to work. CFLs are known noise makers and the noise maybe masking weak signals.

SteveRF

• Helpful Post Rating: 13
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2008, 12:35:06 PM »

ADAGIO,

You are using AHP to monitor septic tank backup ??
Are you serious ??   You have got to be kidding me ?
I have a geothermal air conditioning system and I would never consider AHP for monitoring because of reliability.
I would be interested in knowing what and how you are monitoring.

Steve
Perdido Beach, AL
« Last Edit: August 23, 2008, 12:37:01 PM by SteveRF »

adagio

« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2008, 09:34:46 PM »

Steve,

Sorry I didn't see this post earlier.

I am serious. Yes it works. I have a PC reading a USB load cell that weighs the PVC septic pipe in my house. Based on the weight I can detect if it is backing up. I then tell the CM15a unit to shut off the water (I have a WaterCop installed), washer, water softener and furnace. I also email myself and text my phone.

It works great. It has detected a problem and correctly shut off appliances about 6 times now. In fact, just today we finally found the actual source of the septic issue and replaced the offending pipe (partially blocked, but hard to find) so I don't think I'll NEED the system any more, but it sure served it's purpose.

I can email you an article I wrote with pictures if you are interested.

dave w

• Community Organizer
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2008, 12:21:47 PM »

I am serious. Yes it works. I have a PC reading a USB load cell that weighs the PVC septic pipe in my house. Based on the weight I can detect if it is backing up. I then tell the CM15a unit to shut off the water (I have a WaterCop installed), washer, water softener and furnace. I also email myself and text my phone.

I am truly awe struck.
I thought I have been fairly innovative in applications of X10 for our home automation, which dates back to 1987. And I thought doing such things as steering wireless speakers to warn tresspassers they are; "being monitored in the (insert driveway, front yard, back yard, side yard, etc)" or monitoring deep well pump run time averages and comparing weekly usage, to spot leaks, was really innovative. However, I must now bow to the master.  :)%

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2008, 03:56:23 PM »

I can email you an article I wrote with pictures if you are interested.

Why not start a thread and post it up for everyone to see and benefit from.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

Knightrider

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 62
  • I love my WM100!
    • This Automated House
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2008, 08:14:48 PM »

I have seen the documentation on this project, and all I can say is "Wow!"  The computer does the monitoring of the load sensor, not an x10 PLC, and the SDK end of the deal is used to react to the "overload" condition.
The implications of this system are endless.
I can see this being used to detect ice/snow conditions on a roof and activating heating coils, or sensing who's walking into what room.
Adagio gets +1 from me!
Remote control is cool,

but automation rules!

adagio

« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2008, 01:52:13 AM »

You all are very kind and flattering! I was only trying to solve my particular problem. :D

Using a load cell does offer a lot of possibilities. The best part is, you can SEE it work. It's like having a temperature gauge versus an idiot light. I could watch tendencies and even potentially predict a failure before it happened.

I was hoping to submit an article to some magazine about it, so I created a Word doc with some pictures. Not sure which magazine would be interested though. I could upload the document to my website or post it here somewhere if people are interested.
Pages: [1] 2

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.