Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: IR Extender Remote Control Problem  (Read 24403 times)

rphil

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
IR Extender Remote Control Problem
« on: June 25, 2008, 12:00:02 AM »

Hi All,

I Received VK82A Video Receiver and Sender and the 5 in 1 Universal Remote. I was able to set the Video portion correctly and I am able to see and hear everything perfectly.  The problem is with the UR73A-2 (5 in 1 remote) and the IR Extender.  I am not able to control my cable box remotely.  I set the IR Extender cable up according to the instructions and I am not able to operate the remote cable box from the receiver. I programmed the remote to work with the TV and the cable box and I am able to control the cable box when I am standing in front of it with the UR73A-2 remote control.  Not sure what is happening.  Is the IR cable bad?

Please Help!!

Rick

rphil

Re: IR Extender Remote Control Problem
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2008, 04:10:13 PM »

Quote from: Dave_x10_L
Quote from: rphil
Hi Dave,

I saw a suggestion you told someone regarding at the following link http://www.x10community.com/forums/index.php?topic=13232.0
you told the user "Did you plug in those little IR lights that came with the receiver, and stick one of those on the cable box?" what IR light?

IR emitter is the better term. Inside the little plastic boxes (they came with your unit) are LED's. The light that escapes the boxes is IR... non-human visable..... IR.

Quote from: Dave_x10_L
Quote from: rphil
the IR emitter cable has two plastic things attached to it is that the plastic box you are talking about?

Yep.... the plastic box merely screens out the NON-IR light. The IR light passes through the dark plastic. It's important that you place the emitter(s) OVER or very NEAR the IR light receiver of the device you want to control. Look for the receiver port with a flashlight.... dont just expect it to be a certain place.

When they mention receiver are you talking about the X10 Video Receiver?

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2008, 04:55:26 PM »

When they mention receiver are you talking about the X10 Video Receiver?

The "black plastic box... IR emitters" transmit a IR light signal. The device you want to control has an IR port that receives the light [from the emitter]. I am referring to the IR PORT that RECEIVES the IR LIGHT from the EMITTER.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

rphil

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2008, 05:11:44 PM »

More Back Ground Information:

I have been reading the threads.  I have my remote in front of the Cable BOX the channel changes when I cover up the IR position on the front of the cable box I can not change channels.  So the front of the cable box is were the IR receiver is.  I put the two plastic leds in front of the cable box and I make sure the IR cable is connected into the back of the X10 sender.  The I go to the X10 receiver which is working with Video and Sound and I aim using the remote X10 5-in 1 remote and it is programmed correctly and I aim and I get nothing I am pointing to the front of the receiver were the red light is on and nothing.  Am I missing something?

Thanks in Advance!!

Thanks for all of your help Dave_x10_1  >!

Alan V

• Helpful Post Rating: 8
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2008, 05:27:50 PM »

Try looking through a camcorder's viewfinder while operating the IR LED.  The camcorder is sensitive to IR and you will see the emitter light up if it is outputting IR.  Also, this may enable you to reposition the emitter correctly with respect to the IR receiver.

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2008, 05:43:23 PM »

........I have my remote in front of the Cable BOX the channel changes when I cover up the IR position on the front of the cable box I can not change channels.  So the front of the cable box is were the IR receiver is.  I put the two plastic leds in front of the cable box and I make sure the IR cable is connected into the back of the X10 sender.  The I go to the X10 receiver which is working with Video and Sound and I aim using the remote X10 5-in 1 remote and it is programmed correctly and I aim and I get nothing I am pointing to the front of the receiver were the red light is on and nothing. 

Sounds like you have the setup correctly done.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

rphil

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2008, 11:20:00 AM »

-:) I was wondering if I can plug an IR Cable into the IR port in the back of the Cable Box and this plug the other end into the Video Sender would this work? 

If so what kind of cable would I need?

rphil

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2008, 02:52:59 PM »

-:) I was wondering if I can plug an IR Cable into the IR port in the back of the Cable Box and this plug the other end into the Video Sender would this work? 

If so what kind of cable would I need?

:' I tested it with an audio cable I bought at Radio Shack and it did not work!!

Please Help!!!!!   

Do I Have a Defective Cable / Sender-Receiver  >*<

Bschwartz

« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2008, 11:00:31 AM »

I thought I would add that I have the same problem.  Audio/Video sending with model VR46A receiver works fine, but the remote IR extender(that plugs into the sender) does not work at all.  Yes, I have the little dishes pointed at each other, and I stand in front of my receiver dish antenna(very inconvenient since pointed out of the room to the sending box). I have tried with my cable box remote, also the x10 5 in 1 remote(which seems to be useless except for on off, as none of the buttons seem to work for a Comcast digital cable box), but no signals are received on the cable box end.

And why are there not button directions for the 5-1 remote?
Bob

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.