Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Running power to the Sentinel  (Read 7045 times)

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
Running power to the Sentinel
« on: July 10, 2008, 05:26:49 PM »

This is how I did it.

This is the cable I used. I think they may have a shorter one also.
I had to make a an adapter to fit the non standard Sentinel power cord. You'll need matching male and female connectors for the cable. I believe it is the "M" connector but take the 100 ft cable to Radio Shack and make sure. Ok here's where it gets confusing. I'm going to do my best to "draw" what I did in text.

Make sure you are clear as to what I did it before you get your wire cutters & soldering iron out.

I'll use ( & ) for the X10 connectors and < & > for the 100 ft cord connectors.
First we need to make an adapter cord. Cut about 4-6 inches from the end of the power supply.

[]--------------------- X -------)                                       (-[]
Sentinel power supply                                                               camera

Solder the < & > adapters to the cut ends.*

[]-------------------> X <------)
Sentinel power supply               Short adapter wire

Move adapter to camera end                             Wrap connection with electrical tape
               []-------------------->                                         <------)(-[]
Sentinel power supply                                                               camera

You are now adapted to use the Smarthome cable I recommended above.

[]--------------------><==============><------)(-[]
Sentinel power supply                     100 ft cable                        camera

*VERY IMPORTANT: Make that you solder the adapters so that they match when the video cables are connected to the camera.

The cost of the paired video and power cables are about as cheap as just getting a 100 ft power cable. It is as easy to run the paired wire as it would be to run just a single power line. This way you have the option to have a wired video signal and not deal with possible interference with a wireless signal.

BTW... While the wireless signal is only present when the camera is on, the wired video is present all the time.
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.