Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

The X10Hub (PiX10Hub) is here! Created by the Community, for the Community.:)% #:)

Author Topic: A new use.. hope you find it amusing!  (Read 4621 times)

Ken73

  • Newbie
  • Helpful Post Rating: 0
  • Posts: 6
A new use.. hope you find it amusing!
« on: July 10, 2008, 06:10:03 PM »

I've known about X10 stuff since way back when Radio Shack had it; but never really delved into it other than having a little transceiver kit with a remote for a lamp about 10 years ago.

The wife has been wanting some sort of security so I looked at X10 again; I wound up getting a huge security kit (23 piece) along with the AHP and all the plugins, and a handful of modules & remotes. I've been having a lot of fun playing with it but I've obviously got a problem with UPS's eating up signal and lack of phase coupling, so I bought 4 filters and a SignaLinc coupler from SmartHome.

I picked up an extra 3-pin appliance module though, for a "fix" for my ice machine.

I have a nice KitchenAid ice machine; it's actually comprised of two components: the ice making system itself, and a drain pump. Lately the drain pump has been failing (ON vs. OFF) and sitting there running, potentially shortening it's life substantially. So to solve my problem, I put the 3-pin appliance module on the drain pump, and plugged the ice machine itself directly into the wall. In AHP, I created (a bunch of) timers to run the pump for 1 minute every 20 minutes. It seems to be doing the trick!

My only issue right now of course is phase coupling and filtering; I have a server closet with a huge 1kW UPS, and two other computer systems (on the same phase) with smaller UPS's. Then the TV is also on the same phase; I haven't been able to get anything controlled on that phase, even with a home-made coupler (.1 μF/630v cap in series with a home-made 18 μH choke.) I also have a wall switch in my shop that's fed off the "load" side of a GFCI switch, and I can't control that. I've got a big camera kit on the way and I bought an extra transceiver so I'm going to give that a shot too.

I also wanted to say "thanks" to all the folks on here that contribute and post all these solutions; I've been reading for a week before I purchased any of the equipment and reading as much as I can since. I even made my own design of antenna for the remotes; even though I haven't really had any issues with it yet. I'm just trying to anticipate any of the pitfalls, but having a blast just figuring out the macros in AHP - I made a simple macro that turns the fourier light on for 2 minutes when you open the front door!

This stuff is addicting!!  8)
Logged

AceKeiven

  • Newbie
  • Helpful Post Rating: 0
  • Posts: 1
Re: A new use.. hope you find it amusing!
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2010, 09:55:29 PM »

I also have a kitchen Aid ice machine, and I recently bought it. Model: KUIC18NNTS, in the first place, I am thinking about the good features that I should buy. Fortunately, I pick this one because it can produce 50 pounds of ice in a 24-hour. pacquiao vs clottey live

« Last Edit: March 09, 2010, 03:33:42 AM by AceKeiven »
Logged

Brandt

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Helpful Post Rating: 11
  • Posts: 728
  • Sorry miss, I was giving myself an oil-job.
Re: A new use.. hope you find it amusing!
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2010, 11:08:40 PM »

They say filters solve 1% of your problems, while the xtb-iir solves the other 99% of them:

http://jvde.us/xtb/XTB-IIR_description.htm
Logged

hawk1

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Helpful Post Rating: 21
  • Posts: 625
Re: A new use.. hope you find it amusing!
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2010, 10:20:52 AM »

Like Pomprocker stated:  the XTB-IIR is fantastic!  Send your Signalinc back and get the XTB-IIR you won't regret it.
Logged
koopr@sstelco.com, I don't know what I'm doin but I'm havin fun doin it!

Brandt

  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Helpful Post Rating: 11
  • Posts: 728
  • Sorry miss, I was giving myself an oil-job.
Re: A new use.. hope you find it amusing!
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2010, 11:56:19 AM »

Like Pomprocker stated:  the XTB-IIR is fantastic!  Send your Signalinc back and get the XTB-IIR you won't regret it.

yeah i sold my signalinc..it just wasnt up to the task
Logged

dave w

  • Community Organizer
  • Hero Member
  • ***
  • Helpful Post Rating: 136
  • Posts: 5952
Re: A new use.. hope you find it amusing!
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2010, 12:19:06 PM »

Yeah, I have been saying a "blowtorch" repeater (aka XTBIIR) will fix most of the X10 signal problems. I have a bazillion switching powersupplies (OK slight exageration...but I got a lot!) and only need one filter on a microwave oven.
Logged
"This aftershave makes me look fat"
 

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.