Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: A Public Service Announcement.  (Read 12352 times)

bitman

• Helpful Post Rating: 9
A Public Service Announcement.
« on: July 15, 2008, 11:36:27 PM »

This may be well known, but I read somewhere on the 'net and verified this evening, that if you separte a lamp module from it's house and unit code dial wheels then it will respond to M13. I don't know if this applies to other modules but I would expect it does.

As you were.

Long live X10! - Because I just like it is all.....

-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 81
  • He's just this guy. You know?
    • wgjohns.com
Re: A Public Service Announcement.
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2008, 12:45:09 AM »

This may be well known, but I read somewhere on the 'net and verified this evening, that if you separte a lamp module from it's house and unit code dial wheels then it will respond to M13. I don't know if this applies to other modules but I would expect it does.

As you were.

Yes, most modules with "code wheels" will do just that.  Which becomes a particular problem when the contacts on the code wheels get iffy.
Also, many X10 devices that do not have code wheels default to "A1".

All of this is covered in a post here somewhere.  ;)   >!
-Bill- (of wgjohns.com)
bill@wgjohns.com

In the real world, the only constant is change.

When I'm online you can find me in the Home Automation Chat Room!

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2008, 06:44:28 AM »

Yes for modules with code wheels if the board is out of the case and not contacting the code switches. M13 is the code. That is what I use when testing modules out of the cases.
That said playing with open modules with line voltage derived power supplies can be an explosive experience if the wrong thing is touched or grounded. :' ::) :o

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2008, 09:23:02 AM »

Yes for modules with code wheels if the board is out of the case and not contacting the code switches. M13 is the code. That is what I use when testing modules out of the cases....
You often take them out of the case to test them?  ;)

...That said playing with open modules with line voltage derived power supplies can be an explosive experience if the wrong thing is touched or grounded.
Most definitely could be a shocking experience.

This is one reason I have a GFI on my X10 test box.

I demonstrated how a GFI worked one day to my 13 year old by shorting the live wire to an external ground. (Should of done it through a load.) She enjoyed the sparks and wanted me to do it again. Oh well so much for setting a good example.  :)

Ok Boys & Girls don't do this at home. We're professionals that need a little jolt to get going from time to time.  ;)
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

bitman

• Helpful Post Rating: 9
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2008, 10:11:49 AM »

Thats funny.  ;D

I removed a lamp controller from it's happy home to retrofix into a project. I remembered seeing the M13 reference somewhere (now I'll bet it was here afterall) searching with the search function but finding no relevent posts. Impatience overcame me so I just tried it from memory.

After I set my TM751 to the right code.  ::) it worked.

Long live X10! - Because I just like it is all.....

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2008, 04:16:44 PM »

I have a 120 volt to 120 volt isolation transformer on my tester and a phase coupler one side on the primary and the other on the isolated secondary. To couple the X10 signals.
Some mode switches; so either side of the coupler; can be routed to a scope. For observing  the signals on the other side of the transformer can seen; with no 120 volts on the scope.

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.