Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Is video secure?  (Read 27956 times)

FrankA

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Is video secure?
« on: July 18, 2008, 05:46:13 AM »

Given the cameras is wireless, can other recieve the signal from my cameras or is the signal encrypted somehow?

Thank you.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: Is video secure?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2008, 06:48:58 AM »

Anyone can receive the video it they have the correct receiver and the signal is reaching their location.

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2008, 07:06:26 AM »

Given the cameras is wireless, can other recieve the signal from my cameras or is the signal encrypted somehow?

FrankA I don't know of ANY manufacture of encrypted cameras.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

Alan V

• Helpful Post Rating: 8
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2008, 11:57:47 AM »

Really?  What about wireless IP cameras?  The wireless transmission is encrypted if your wireless network is encrypted.

For the average Joe, WEP encryption will be good enough.  But the WEP key can be obtained by a hacker in about a minute with an easily obtained software program.  WPA encryption is much better.  Most new wireless routers have either the WEP or WPA option.  But older ones may only have WEP.

HA Dave

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2008, 02:49:19 PM »

Really?  What about wireless IP cameras?  The wireless transmission is encrypted if your wireless network is encrypted.

NO.... the wireless transmission is still NON-encrypted. Your request to the IP camera may be encrypted.... hence not ANY live video is thrown up on your Intranet... and not ANYONE will be able to control settings.

« Last Edit: July 18, 2008, 02:52:30 PM by Dave_x10_L »

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2008, 03:59:44 PM »

Alan V; Is the camera you are talking about. Actually send the video to the wireless network directly?

Alan V

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2008, 04:35:56 PM »

NO.... the wireless transmission is still NON-encrypted. Your request to the IP camera may be encrypted.... hence not ANY live video is thrown up on your Intranet... and not ANYONE will be able to control settings.

I beg to differ.  The IP camera acts like just another wireless access point.  The video from the IP camera is digitized before it is sent out.  If you use encryption on your intranet, then the data is encrypted. 

Are you saying that IP cameras use two radios?  One for video and one for control?  Why would they do that??

zach1234

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2008, 05:04:25 PM »

Alan V

« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2008, 05:24:31 PM »

All I have to say: http://youtube.com/watch?v=JjU1E3JrWik

Thank you for supplying the reference.

I don't disagree with anything that is said in the video. 

X10 cameras are not encrypted and are not secure.  Wireless IP cameras CAN BE very secure.  The fact is that some people don't set up encryption (or even password protection) for their wireless routers.  WEP encryption is not completely secure.  WPA encryption is drastically better because the encryption key keeps changing over time.  So even IF someone had the correct key, the key will soon change thereby securing the data once again.

Keep in mind that just because you can see another wireless network's name in the "available networks" list doesn't mean that you can get at that network's data. 

zach1234

« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2008, 05:36:46 PM »

I have a IP camera, and Dave has one (i think). I got it for 50.00 from circuitcity.com (keywork: linksys IP camera). I think its secure, its similar to the wireless chip in you laptop, not seen in scans, when you scan you wireless networks you don't see Linksys IP camera all you see is your router and neighbors.

Alan V

« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2008, 05:46:22 PM »

Right.  Most wireless routers can be set up so that they will not even broadcast the name of the network, so that it would not even appear in a network list.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2008, 06:28:12 PM »

Thank you all that have given us data on the IP Cameras. Sounds like they can be secured.

zach1234

« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2008, 08:02:02 PM »

Are secure. Remember someone can crack WPA and WEP use WPA2 to be the safest. If its wireless I can be seen, even if not bradcasting the SSID (network Name) there are programs.

HA Dave

« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2008, 09:26:04 PM »

I realize... I could be mistaken. I only have one IP camera myself. And although I have a wireless network... I was never formally trained for WIRELESS networks.

By secure transmission or encrypted transmission..... if you mean, the signal - the videos data stream is encrypted. I don't think so.

If you mean it is more secure because normal access is password protected... sure that's true. And in many ways BETTER than analog. But for many a system of IP cameras would be a budget breaker for home use. Comparing an X10 $249 multi-camera deal... with a thousands of dollars commercial setup... is apples to oranges.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2008, 09:40:42 PM by Dave_x10_L »

zach1234

« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2008, 09:45:18 PM »

Your right!
Pages: [1] 2

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.