Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Is video secure?  (Read 27954 times)

Alan V

• Helpful Post Rating: 8
Re: Is video secure?
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2008, 10:06:55 PM »

I realize... I could be mistaken. I only have one IP camera myself. And although I have a wireless network... I was never formally trained for WIRELESS networks.

By secure transmission or encrypted transmission..... if you mean, the signal - the videos data stream is encrypted. I don't think so.

An IP camera sends data packets that are encrypted (just as any other data packets are encrypted) through the wireless network as long as the network has been set up to use encryption.  >*<

zach1234

« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2008, 10:25:55 PM »

OK, you have to understand anything wireless can be pick up'ed and hacked.

"AirSnort is a wireless LAN (WLAN) tool which recovers encryption keys. AirSnort operates by passively monitoring transmissions, computing the encryption key when enough packets have been gathered.
802.11b, using the Wired Equivalent Protocol (WEP), is crippled with numerous security flaws. Most damning of these is the weakness described in " Weaknesses in the Key Scheduling Algorithm of RC4 " by Scott Fluhrer, Itsik Mantin and Adi Shamir. Adam Stubblefield was the first to implement this attack, but he has not made his software public. AirSnort, along with WEPCrack, which was released about the same time as AirSnort, are the first publicly available implementaions of this attack."

-http://airsnort.shmoo.com/

I have never tried that tool, I will have to try on **my network** and see what happens, I have a Cisco Access point .

If its wireless I can be pick up'ed.

NEW TOPIC: Heck you can buy a police scanner and hear what neighbor is the snitch and by the way that's legal (in Illinois). I have this one http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2466254 and I have to say its wonderful, It has a 5 day battery life (left mine on for that time and it still had juice.

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2008, 08:59:07 PM »

Thank you all that have given us data on the IP Cameras. Sounds like they can be secured.

Brian H and Alan V are both correct.... in the fact that IP WiFi cameras do have a level of security greater than that of wireless analog cameras.

OK, you have to understand anything wireless can be pick up'ed and hacked.........................

Not only can the wireless be hacked.... even hardwired communications (and/or video) can be and ARE compromised.

I just don't know where this thread is headed? My X10 wireless cameras are only ON when recording activity. WHY would I care how secure that video might be? Heck I even have my system configured so as to announce that areas are video monitored. As far as Internet transmitted video: It really doesn't matter how securely the video was captured... it's how it's broadcast on-line that matters.

When your looking at analog vs "encrypted" wireless video transmission.... your really only looking at protecting your video from your neighbors. Unless you've painted your windows over.... the neighbors see (and hear) everything they REALLY WANT to see (and hear) anyway.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

FrankA

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2008, 07:17:40 AM »

Thanks to everyone. You have given me a lot to think about.

Can I take this from all the posts - the signal from my ordinary wireless X-10 cameras are not encrypted and can be received by anyone with the appropriate equipment?

Thanks again for all the replies.

HA Dave

« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2008, 07:54:25 AM »

... wireless X-10 cameras are not encrypted and can be received by anyone with the appropriate equipment?

An appropriately setup X10 security camera system.... would be very difficult for even well trained, experienced, and well equipped individuals to view. As it would involve the "viewer" to trigger the cameras ON, while at the same time [somehow] shielding him/her self from being viewed. X10 wireless cameras and video receivers have directional antenna's and a limited range. I believe all aspects of the systems have been well thought out.

The X10 Automation, Security, and Camera system intergradation is like no other system, and a BIG plus.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2008, 07:59:02 AM by Dave_x10_L »

JimC

• Helpful Post Rating: 41
« Reply #21 on: July 21, 2008, 08:04:13 AM »

Quote from:
Can I take this from all the posts - the signal from my ordinary wireless X-10 cameras are not encrypted and can be received by anyone with the appropriate equipment?

I guess the answer to this depends on where you live. When I lived in the city the houses were very close together so the neighbors on either side of me could view my cameras output if they were so inclined. Where I live now I doubt that the video signal leaves my property with enough signal strength to be usable.

If you only use the cameras for security purposes it should not be a problem even if they are being monitored. I might be concerned if I were using one as a baby monitor because they could be on for extended periods of time and not only is the video being transmitted but so is the audio.

Just my 2 cents.
_ _ ...  ..._ _

HA Dave

« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2008, 08:29:32 AM »

I might be concerned if I were using one as a baby monitor because they could be on for extended periods of time and not only is the video being transmitted but so is the audio.

Your so right JimC! It was a story relayed to me from my step-son about a weather alert he heard on the baby monitor (the weather report came from the apartment next door) that inspired my baby monitor microphone setup.

If you read about the setup... you'll notice I use X10 to be able to shut-down the monitors. I had looked at bluetooth as a possible "more secure" solution when researching microphones. SOMEDAY... wifi connectables will very likely be within a price range of most home owners. Right now... a little intelligent planning accomplishes a lot for a fraction of the cost.

Also note: When using a monitor setup with audio.... it the audio from the monitoring area/station can be picked-up from the monitored area..... feedback will occur.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2008, 08:34:55 AM by Dave_x10_L »

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2008, 10:55:13 AM »

...Unless you've painted your windows over.... the neighbors see (and hear) everything they REALLY WANT to see (and hear) anyway.
Well I use blinds myself. Cheaper than scrapping of the paint when I want to let light in.  rofl
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

Alan V

• Helpful Post Rating: 8
« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2008, 11:43:46 AM »

Where I live now I doubt that the video signal leaves my property with enough signal strength to be usable.

Unfortunately, this is not true.  Anyone can receive these signals with a receiver that has enough gain.  The question is, would anyone want to.

I think I share the concern that some others have regarding those that have X10 wireless cameras inside their homes that are always transmitting.

steven r

• Advanced Member
  • Helpful Post Rating: 74
  • Halloween with X10
« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2008, 12:07:47 PM »

...Anyone can receive these signals with a receiver that has enough gain.  The question is, would anyone want to....
If someone wants to look at weeds popping up in my front yard and prefers to do it via my wireless signal more power to them.  ;)
On the other hand, I'd prefer a wired signal if I were covering an area inside of the house.
BVC let's me tell my camera where to go!
:) Murphy is my beta testing pal. He helps me find problems whether I like it or not. :)

zach1234

« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2008, 12:28:09 PM »

X10 isn't popular to. I would never think or use a x10 wireless camera for my security.

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #27 on: July 22, 2008, 12:06:01 PM »

I would never think or use a x10 wireless camera for my security.
Why not?
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2008, 12:15:17 PM »

On your web site. One of the pictures of your setup sure looks like an X10 wireless camera?
Pages: 1 [2]

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.