Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: x10-generally  (Read 3965 times)

bbrick

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
x10-generally
« on: July 07, 2008, 11:50:20 AM »

I'm fairly new.  I have bougth a bunch of X10 stuuf recently and have this comments.

1)  RF transmission and reception ranges listed are bogus for everday uses.  If you have to go through a brick veneer wall forget it.  Figure 10 ft.  I have the Xcam 2 and had to mount it 10 ft. from the CM15A to get a picture.  Plan on buying repeaters, 751 transmitters, building supplemental antennas, etc.

2)  I find the equipment inexpensive but a lot of fun. 

3)  Try the 10 dispatcher software (free) it works pretty well.  On alert is needed to do any macros with sensors.

4)  These people are masters at segregating equipment so you have to buy three or four items to do anything.  You'll find out after you buy something.  For example the door/window sensor won't weork with the TM751 reciever.  Study the forums very strenuously to figure out what it takes to do what you want.

Finally, the achilles heel of all this stuff is the RF Range, both transmitting and recieving.  Very disappointing.  figure out how to get RF signal into hard wiring as quickly as possible.

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
Re: x10-generally
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2008, 12:58:06 PM »

Your comments are pretty much on the mark. It sounds like you have read the forums so this is probably old news.

There are ways of squeezing more range out of RF transmission. The best mod is the external antenna for the CM15A. The "passive repeaters" also help.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

PajamaGuy

• Helpful Post Rating: 32
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2008, 05:21:53 PM »

Welcome aboard, have a beer and open your wallet!   >!

I'm surprised at the XCam2 though, never thought the CM15a's distance played into it?  How far away is the wireless receiver?

PajamaGuy
Win-7 - Dell XPS -Automation
VA12a on a dedicated desktop - Video
XTB-IIR & V572RF32

Remote via LogMeIn (FREE) and Ignition

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2008, 06:23:38 PM »

Strange as the CM15A does not receive any video. The wireless cameras are in the 2.4 GHz range. X10s RF for remotes is 310 MHz.
Since the cameras are turned on and off by powerline signals. It could be possible the CM15A was not getting on off signals to the cameras if the CM15A was the Tranceiver you where using to control them. Be careful with TM751s. They are not polite as they have no powerline receivers in them. If two of them both receive an X10 RF signal on the same house code. They will gladly step on each other making the X10 signal garbage on the powerline.
Have you any phase coupling? If the CM15A is on one phase and the camera supplies on the other. It may have problems communicating with them.
Also the CM15A is not noted for great reception distances and that is why so many do antenna mods. Physical and passive.

bbrick

Re: x10-generally; CM15a, VR36a; TM751; MS 16A, Smart Macros
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2008, 10:07:20 AM »

Sorry, its the VR36a video receiver (same location as my CM15a).  Since I'm ADHD I need new mental stimulation often.  X10 is cheaper than golf (although my wife hates the time X10 involves).  Was fun to, rediscover antenna theory.  Haven't looked at it for 43 yrs.  I have a V572-RF32 on the way.  Hope it works as well as hinted at in the forum.  The TM751's finally enable the MS16a s to work.  Had to put the TM 751 in the garage within about 30' of MS16A s (RF goes through brick veneer wall), but the TM 751 sends signal about 40' through 2 sheet rock walls inside.

I do find the smart macro plug in to be very frustrating.  Try to build and test in little pieces at a time.  For some reason, the "automatic still stop" is working this morning, as is the macro I was complaining about last night.  I live out in the "country" 35 miles from my office.  Just wanted a cheap way to monitor my driveway from the office when no one is home.  We have some daytime burglaries, when the homeowner leaves during the day.  I am finally getting there.
BTW, logmeinfree works well although their server was down for 1/2 day last week.  My house on-line not reliable at all.  Have just started using Wbex PC now in the background when I'm at the office, for more reliability.  MS16a sends E-mail to my Blackberry when MS16a triggers (I use the off command for the trigger, so that I don't get 6 E-mails very time it senses motion), and I can pull up driveway shot instantaneously at work.  Have pictures sent with Emails to Blackberry using On Alert.  Can't see video on it though.  All in all, after about 50 hrs of time I'm getting some use out of it.

The most reliable item form X10 is "These premises monitored by video sign.  Its expensive but scanned it in and made 11x 17 copies, then laminated for use.

It is funny that Voice Alert (which operates at 433.92 MHz has no RF problems, nor does my Genie garage door opener.  The X10 guys are just geniuses at selling equipment.

remulon

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2008, 09:17:31 AM »

For remote access...

TightVNC

It is free and it works great (no more running to the automation computer to check things out). In fact a notebook computer with wireless lets you take your computer to the kit you are trying to get working.

I have bought a bare bones system for my automation. I don't even have a keyboard or monitor for the thing, everything can be done through TightVNC.

All you need to do is open the appropriate ports on your router and use a dynamic DNS service (free too) and you have outside access to your system just as you were sitting in front of it.

R

remulon

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2008, 09:21:06 AM »

For remote access...

TightVNC

It is free and it works great (no more running to the automation computer to check things out). In fact a notebook computer with wireless lets you take your computer to the kit you are trying to get working.

I have bought a bare bones system for my automation. I don't even have a keyboard or monitor for the thing, everything can be done through TightVNC.

All you need to do is open the appropriate ports on your router and use a dynamic DNS service (free too) and you have outside access to your system just as you were sitting in front of it.

R

remulon

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2008, 09:23:01 AM »

But I still manage to mess up a single post....

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.