Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Questions Regarding Home Security System Using PS561/DS7000  (Read 5997 times)

nativedc

• Helpful Post Rating: 0

I have several questions about a security system I'm trying to configure on our vacation home.

What I want is whenever motion is detected lights and sirens go on (would prefer if the lights flashed) for a specified time and then turn off x-minutes after no motion is detected. I just purchased the DS7000 as an upgrade from a simple transceiver model.

Questions:

1. Will the EagleEye motion detector work with the DS7000? How do you "register" the EagleEye with the DS7000? I have the motion detectors set to detect motion only at night and to send an OFF signal after 2 minutes of no motion. Using the transceiver unit this system does not activate remote Powerhorn sirens when motion is detected. Will they be activated using the DS7000?

2. Can I use both EagleEye and model MS10A on the same set-up? The MS10A seems to have less functionality like setting to detect motion only at night, sending an off signal after a specified time., etc.

3. The manual for the DS7000 says the unit will activate the system when a door or window is opened (siren sounds, lights flash). Will a tripped motion detector also activate this sequence of events? This is what I want to happen w/motion detectors. For now, my system will only consist of motion detectors and no window or door sensors. Will that be a problem?

4. For certain peripheral items (such as the PowerHorn) the manual instructs the user to set the Unit Code to an used code. This is confusing to me. Don't all the peripheral units (motion detectors, lamp modules, etc.) have to be set to the same House and Unit code as the DS7000 console?

Sorry for all the questions! I couldn't answers to these from previous posts.

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Re: Questions Regarding Home Security System Using PS561/DS7000
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2008, 09:41:46 AM »

I have several questions about a security system I'm trying to configure on our vacation home.

What I want is whenever motion is detected lights and sirens go on (would prefer if the lights flashed) for a specified time and then turn off x-minutes after no motion is detected. I just purchased the DS7000 as an upgrade from a simple transceiver model.

Questions:

1. Will the EagleEye motion detector work with the DS7000?

No.

2. Can I use both EagleEye and model MS10A on the same set-up? The MS10A seems to have less functionality like setting to detect motion only at night, sending an off signal after a specified time., etc.

No you can only use the MS10A. The MS10A works both day and night.. and reports motion ONLY... (not a timed report after motion stops).

3. The manual for the DS7000 says the unit will activate the system when a door or window is opened (siren sounds, lights flash). Will a tripped motion detector also activate this sequence of events? This is what I want to happen w/motion detectors. For now, my system will only consist of motion detectors and no window or door sensors. Will that be a problem?

No... not a problem. However the door window sensor(s) are a great product.... I would use them.

4. For certain peripheral items (such as the PowerHorn) the manual instructs the user to set the Unit Code to an used code. This is confusing to me. Don't all the peripheral units (motion detectors, lamp modules, etc.) have to be set to the same House and Unit code as the DS7000 console?

Yes. The PowerHorn (or large PowerHorn) only sounds after a series of On / Off signals (about 3-4 sec). So... you CAN use the same H/U code as a light... if you care/need to.

Home Automation is an always changing technology

nativedc

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2008, 09:56:24 AM »

Thanks Dave. Too bad about the EagleEye incompatibility withthe DS7000. I only wanted the system to detect motion at night. Maybe the DS7000 won't work for me.

Not sure from your reply to

The manual for the DS7000 says the unit will activate the system when a door or window is opened (siren sounds, lights flash). Will a tripped motion detector also activate this sequence of events? This is what I want to happen w/motion detectors. For now, my system will only consist of motion detectors and no window or door sensors. Will that be a problem?

What the answer is to Will a tripped motion detector also activate this sequence of events?

Thanks

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2008, 03:46:43 PM »

Will a tripped motion detector also activate this sequence of events?

Oops... yes of course, when the system is armed and motion is detected by a MS10A... it will trigger the alarm. Lights will flash, sirens will sound, and if connected to a working phone line it will call you on the phone.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

x10challanged

• Helpful Post Rating: 5
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2008, 07:46:56 AM »

Hi Nativedc,

The only thing I can think of to add here is I always recommend the purchase of more than (1) large powerhorn.  I have (6) all programmed to my DS7000.  (3) in the house (3000 sq ft), (1) in attic, (1) in garage, (1) outside pointed to closest neighbor.  Believe me when mine goes off you don't want to hang around inside.

tom j

• Helpful Post Rating: 16
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2008, 11:13:48 PM »

Hi Nativedc,

The only thing I can think of to add here is I always recommend the purchase of more than (1) large powerhorn.  I have (6) all programmed to my DS7000.  (3) in the house (3000 sq ft), (1) in attic, (1) in garage, (1) outside pointed to closest neighbor.  Believe me when mine goes off you don't want to hang around inside.

Yep I really like those large powerhorns and have 5. You know I was thinking about putting one in the garage but I was concerned about the cold, do you live in a cold area some electronics have to be "harden" for cold weather, tried using some MS10a's in a unheated addition we were working on and it died after just one winter.

Tom j.

PajamaGuy

• Helpful Post Rating: 32
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2008, 07:55:08 AM »

Hi Nativedc,

Do yourself a favor and go to the advanced search - set the returns for "Most recent topics first" and search on "MS10A" and "Motion Detector", and probably , "False Alarm" (not all at once, of course).  Spend an hour of so reading about motion detectors.  Rent & watch the movie "Sneakers" if you want a real understanding of motion detectors.

I've found the MS10As to be great, once you have them positioned correctly.  You have to understand how they work to get accurate responses and to avoid false alarms. - Not to detail it here, but remember, they "sense" masses of heat moving across their field of view - the greater the differential between the ambient temperature and the moving mass = the greater sensitivity.  Watch out for sources of heat, and plan for all 4 seasons.  A blast of hot air from your furnace duct at 3:00 a.m. WILL trip the sensor...... :'

And I certainly agree with the other guys here - the object of an X-10 alarm system is to scare the intruders away, a lot of noise and flashing lights is what you're going for and the large PowerHorns make a lot of noise!  Take the time to position them strategically.
PajamaGuy
Win-7 - Dell XPS -Automation
VA12a on a dedicated desktop - Video
XTB-IIR & V572RF32

Remote via LogMeIn (FREE) and Ignition

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.