Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Wireless Range  (Read 82059 times)

KennyGolub

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
Wireless Range
« on: July 30, 2008, 07:29:45 AM »

Ok....how do I get the wireless portion to work more than 6 or 7 feet ?
I can't get reception unless the camera is in the same room and pointed directly at the receiver !!!
How can you have a security system like that ???????
Not only that, but if I have two cameras, one will always override the weaker signal (even though they are in the same room) and I can't display more than one camera. Hell, even if there is a plastic box between the receiver and camera (and the camera is only 6 feet away), no picture.

I think I know why the prices are so low.......it's not a very good system if everything needs to be in the same room and within 6 or 7 feet of eachother.

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
Re: Wireless Range
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2008, 09:03:46 AM »

Ok....how do I get the wireless portion to work more than 6 or 7 feet ?............      Not only that, but if I have two cameras, one will always override the weaker signal .........

I have the wireless cameras (as do thousands of others) and they do work fine. The range I get is slightly short of the 100 foot max... but very good. Having two cameras on at the same time may be your problem. The cameras are designed with the addressable power supply... so as they can turn each other OFF and therefore SHARE the wireless airwaves for video transmission. Check the directions included with the cameras and I think you will see what I mean.

a WiFi network in your home can also create some problems... but those can generally be worked around also (I have Wifi). Changing the "channels" the cameras and receiver use [A-D] is the 1st step. Be sure both the camera AND receiver remain on the SAME letter/channel.

STICK WITH IT! Those tiny little camera are cheap... and GREAT!
« Last Edit: July 30, 2008, 09:10:10 AM by Dave_x10_L »
Home Automation is an always changing technology

KennyGolub

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2008, 10:22:19 AM »

Will you send me your cameras    ;D

KennyGolub

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2008, 11:22:24 AM »

Forgot to ask in the reply:

So if one can only monitor one camera at a time, are you saying that the five camera view is for wired systems only?

HA Dave

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2008, 02:07:47 PM »

.... are you saying that the five camera view is for wird systems only?

No (the normal setup has only ONE input to the PC... so wired or wireless would make NO difference).

The camera views can be "rotated" by turning the cameras on/off. I would guess your planning on displaying the views on your PC.. and maybe viewing remotely. I am not an expert on the softwares... which one do you plan on using.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2008, 02:11:59 PM by Dave_x10_L »

KennyGolub

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2008, 03:17:47 PM »

I'm displaying on the PC. How do I turn cameras off and on via software ?

HA Dave

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2008, 04:13:14 PM »

.......... How do I turn cameras off and on via software ?

Generally the camera packages include some sort of device(s) for such things. Like a mouse-like Wireless PC Transceiver (CM19A) that sends and receives RF signals. And a Small Wireless Transceiver (TM751) that receives RF... and then transfers that to PLC (power line commands) that the cameras addressable power supply uses.

Why don't you describe what you have.... and wish to do. I am sure someone with expertise with the PC/Software setups will chime in with help.

KennyGolub

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2008, 12:01:40 PM »

I guess what I'm trying to do is basic. IF I can ever get by the range thing (wasted hours last night positioning and trying different channels), all I want to do is use my four cameras to monitor things around the house.
I have the converter to my pc and it's located on the second floor of my residential house. I have the Ninja in the same room (only because I can't receive from cameras anywhere else). I thought that I could simpley set the addressable power supplies (I use K1 thru K4) and use the Sentinel software to monitor or scan all four cameras.
I guess I just don't have any confidence in the system ONLY because the transmit power is so low on these things that if you sneeze, you can loose reception and I've yet to be able to receive from another room.

x10challanged

• Helpful Post Rating: 5
« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2008, 05:50:05 PM »

Hi KennyGolub welcome to the forums and thanks for posting your concerns.

I have (8) wireless cameras functioning and all playing nicely together.  I understand your frustration in the initial set-up so if you don't mind tell us which items you have so we can better help you.
For instance I have:
(3) VR36 video recvr (1) for PC (2) for diff TV's
(1) VA11A Video converter USB pluged into PC
(4) Ninja mounts w/xx18A mounted on them
(2) XX16A Instant on camera by themselves
(1) XX11A by itself
(1) XX19A by itself
(1) CM15A controller
I use Home Pro software.
(1) video recv/send kit for extending distance
Win XP Pro

As far as distance and reception these can be interupted by many things i.e. construction of walls, metal studs, florescent lighting, other wireless devices on 2.4 gh. wireless networks, camera antennas set improperly, microwave ovens etc. 

as a an example my farthest camera I have is currently 158ft from my video recvr and reception is fine.   So lets start with exactly what you are working with.  Then we can go on to the set-up  What Dave has posted is all correct and I think he is assuming a couple things such as what equipment you are working with, this will help find conflicts also.

Generally it is best to start with (1) camera get it working (not mounted) then move it to one of the other locations and test. That way you know you are working a good camera. Since you have a 2-story house this may make it a little more difficult to adjust the antennas for proper reception going through floors and walls.  Hopefully you have someone who can watch the monitor while you adjust the antennas.  Hang in there they really do work!

theworkingman00

« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2009, 05:28:34 AM »

make sure you set up correct with proper haedware #:)

cougaram

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2010, 10:53:32 PM »

Ok....how do I get the wireless portion to work more than 6 or 7 feet ?............      Not only that, but if I have two cameras, one will always override the weaker signal .........

I have the wireless cameras (as do thousands of others) and they do work fine. The range I get is slightly short of the 100 foot max... but very good. Having two cameras on at the same time may be your problem. The cameras are designed with the addressable power supply... so as they can turn each other OFF and therefore SHARE the wireless airwaves for video transmission. Check the directions included with the cameras and I think you will see what I mean.

a WiFi network in your home can also create some problems... but those can generally be worked around also (I have Wifi). Changing the "channels" the cameras and receiver use [A-D] is the 1st step. Be sure both the camera AND receiver remain on the SAME letter/channel.

STICK WITH IT! Those tiny little camera are cheap... and GREAT!

I am trying to use only one camera and I can't get decent camera image at more than 10 feet and through one thin sheet of sheetrock. So far, calls to support and numerous emails have been absolutely no help. (yes, I've tied all 4 channels and different antenna positions) Too bad X10 doesn't make a plugin repeater for their cam systems to increase the range. The security systems have been superb for me but the wireless camera systems much less than adequate. I also use wifi and turning it off for the sake of the camera system completely negates the whole purpose of the camera system.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2010, 10:59:52 PM by cougaram »

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2010, 06:20:42 AM »

Besides wireless networks. Don't forget some 2.4GHz cordless phones. They can also be a problem.
The main problem with the 2.4GHz band is many devices share the same FCC allotted space and can step on each other.
Sometimes picking different channels is enough to get things to share. Sometimes not.
Have you tried different channels on your wifi?

cougaram

« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2010, 11:54:39 AM »

You obviously did not read every word of what I posted. I said "yes" I did try all channels. Also, there are no 2.4 wireless phones in the place.

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2010, 03:53:53 PM »

Exactly where did you say. "I tried all my wifi channels"? That is what I said.

I know you tried A-D on the cameras.

cougaram

« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2010, 05:37:30 PM »

I've even gone to wired router now with wifi turned off. (too big security risk anyway). Still, camera picture is still horrible.
Pages: [1] 2 3

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.