Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Wireless Range  (Read 82064 times)

Brian H

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 305
Re: Wireless Range
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2010, 06:23:55 PM »

20 feet through one sheetrock wall.
That isn't very good.
Any chance there is metal faced insulation in there.
Did you ever test run the camera and receiver in the same room before their final placement?

cougaram

• Helpful Post Rating: 0
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2010, 06:46:50 PM »

There's three LCD monitors in my control room, 2 pc's, several video recorders, 36 track audio deck and a 36 channel Mackie mixer, various rack mounted effects modules, and two McIntosh audio amps. I have X10 door/window switches for perimeter security but I was really hoping the X10 wireless setup could record visitors as well as any 'after-hours unwanted guests'.  (By the way, thanks for your time.)

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2010, 06:39:23 PM »

You are welcome.

Sounds like an elaborate setup.
I can see why some eyes maybe a wanted thing.

In my electronics vocation. I have seen some strange things. I wounder if some of the electronics in the room is causing interference. I would not think 2.4Hz would be a factor. Though Murphy has proved me wrong a few times. Especially when I was doing RF work.  ;D

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2010, 06:50:20 PM »

..... I wounder if some of the electronics in the room is causing interference. I would not think 2.4Hz would be a factor.

Years ago.. my brother was telling me about his new computer. He said it was "as fast as they would ever be able to make them". I asked him why he didn't think computers would be able to be made faster. He replied... "because they would interfere with FM". He was right... about the FM.. but the interference generated is very short range. Just moving the radio to the other side of the cubical is generally enough (when at the office). I often found the monitor to generate as much or more interference.

I'd bet a 12 foot RCA video cable might help your problem.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

cougaram

« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2010, 07:03:39 PM »

That would negate the ninja mount. It's beginning to look like I'm going to need to bite the bullet and spend some *real money* if I want a camera system that will cohabit peacefully with the rest of my equipment. (something I don't have much of after buying the rest of my setup! LOL)

Brian H

• Community Organizer
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2010, 07:06:19 PM »

FYI. The Ninja mount is turned on and off by a power line signal and the pan and tilt is controlled by the X10 RF frequency of 310MHz. It also is not the most robust mount around.

jeffdharlan

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
  • My home doesn't take sick days
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2010, 09:30:26 AM »

I've even gone to wired router now with wifi turned off. (too big security risk anyway). Still, camera picture is still horrible.

How do you figure?  Wifi networks are encrypted with 128 - 256 bit encryption.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wi-Fi_Protected_Access
What has your home done for you today?

nybuck

• Helpful Post Rating: 17
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2010, 08:45:59 AM »

There is a way to make an X10 camera repeater.  Basically, you need a wireless video sender and receiver.

You set the receiver on the channel of your camera.  (say, camera=A, repeater receiver=A)
Connect the receiver video output to the sender video input with an RCA cable.
Set the sender on a different channel.  (say, C)
Set your ultimate video receiver at the computer to receive the second channel.  (C in this example)

By careful placement of the 'repeater' setup, you can boost your range.   ;D

I do want to add that once I turned off my WIFI, I had great reception, except when the microwave oven was on, and one time when my receiver fell down and was facing the floor...  I have since wired the cameras for recording, but use the wireless to see who's there on the TV.  I should also add that the 2.4GHz reception was poor near my computer monitor or TV.  A longer RCA cord and separating the receiver may be all that is necessary.

Good Luck!   ;D
« Last Edit: May 22, 2010, 09:11:32 AM by nybuck »
>!

HA Dave

• Helpful Post Rating: 175
« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2010, 10:49:51 AM »

....  A longer RCA cord and separating the receiver may be all that is necessary.

And don't forget the old trick of using coax for your RCA video connections. At any electronics place (Radio Shack has them) you can purchase F-connector to RCA adapters. Then you can purchase 12 or 25 foot (cheap) coax cable.. and screw on the adapters.. and have really nice video cable.
Home Automation is an always changing technology

mpvance

« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2010, 10:33:27 AM »

Hey Nubuck, I'd like to see a diagram of the repeater setup you describe.  I have 2 different types of receivers.  rca and coax as well as the smaller rca only receiver (no audio)

Thanks
Mark

nybuck

« Reply #25 on: May 25, 2010, 07:35:42 PM »

MPVance -
I don't really have a diagram - Can anyone else help out?

I guess I could assemble one and take a picture....   :'
>!

dave w

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 139
« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2010, 09:17:43 PM »

Hey Nubuck, I'd like to see a diagram of the repeater setup you describe.  I have 2 different types of receivers.  rca and coax as well as the smaller rca only receiver (no audio)

Thanks
Mark

I don't have any of the video sender /receivers, but it shouldn't be that complex. Audio Out and Video Out from Receiver would connect to Audio In and Video In on the Transmitter. The receiver would be pointed at your camera, and the transmitter would be pointed at your main receiver. It is basically an extension cord for RF.
"This aftershave makes me look fat"

nybuck

« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2010, 07:38:49 PM »

I know it's been a while, but I found a diagram of the repeater I described in X10 WIKI:
http://kbase.x10.com/wiki/Extending_Wireless_Camera_Range
>!

oeginc

« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2010, 08:30:00 AM »

I've even gone to wired router now with wifi turned off. (too big security risk anyway). Still, camera picture is still horrible.

How do you figure?  Wifi networks are encrypted with 128 - 256 bit encryption.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wi-Fi_Protected_Access

Perhaps you hadn't yet read this article :)
http://www.computerworlduk.com/news/networking/16351/how-to-hack-wpa-wireless-security-in-one-minute/

jeffdharlan

• Helpful Post Rating: 1
  • My home doesn't take sick days
« Reply #29 on: August 20, 2010, 01:02:08 PM »

Touche!  ;)
What has your home done for you today?
Pages: 1 [2] 3

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.