📝Reviews > Protector Plus Reviews

Not impressed with the DS7000E home 'security' system

(1/3) > >>

sconnelly:
I suppose when I chatted with an X10 person before I purchased, I either did not ask the right questions, assumed too much, and/or I was mis-understood, and/or mislead.

From what I see, this is not an adequate home security system. It has potential but it is missing a number of features that common home security systems have. I'd pay more to X10 if they are available. It's not about price so much as it is about ease of setup and convince of one-stop shopping. Yes, X10 does have some cool products for low prices BUT I need a more advanced security console.

Getting to my specific points.

First, upon recommendation of the X10 staff (after describing my requirements), I purchased the following: ULTIMATE Home Security System - FULLY LOADED, DS7000E-BONUS-MDK-FB109-V2-HOME-UP2 for    $149.99

Once I received it, I was quickly UNDER-WHELMED by the fact that it's nothing more than a no-frills basic alarm.

What is missing (please someone tell me if any of my points can be remedied before I ship this back):

- no numeric keypad  *
  I want a code to enter when disarming my alarm. What if a remote is accidentally left out in the open? A thief would be able to disarm the system with no difficulty.
  It is simply too easy to disarm this system!

- no REMOTE numerical keypad that is separated from the console  *
  A good alarm system console (the part that protect the home, dials telephone numbers) is ALWAYS separate and hidden.
  The X10 console needs to be in the open and announces itself when its alarm is tripped. It would take a thief only a few seconds to silence
  this console and rob a home without further trouble from X10.

- Keychain remotes (KR10A) are ridiculously huge! Quite impractical!

- To cumbersome to set delayed exit (only available from console) and entry! Delayed entry should be audible so that one knows that within 30 seconds, the alarm will trigger. *

- Only a single zone. No multi-zones. *
  Example:  Setting an at home mode where all external door sensors will trip, some windows sensors will trip, kitchen motion detector will NOT trip but all other motion sensors will trip.

- Door/Windows sensors should have x minute interval flashing LEDs. A flashing LED not only adds an intimidation factor (that the system is active) but also can serve as an indication of good battery status.

- I am experiencing mysterious false triggers (or actually 'pings' since the alarm is not set). I have removed the batteries from each window/door trigger one after another in order to narrow down to the faulty unit. This now brings up another flaw in this system... no status screen in order to view a history of events.

Can any of the above issues be corrected with other X10 or X10 compatible products? The most serious issues have an asterisk beside the comments.

If not, I am going to sent the whole lot back.

Thanks for your input.

HA Dave:

--- Quote from: sconnelly on July 31, 2008, 02:27:43 AM ---
- no numeric keypad  *

--- End quote ---

Yeah... a comman request. Many people have explored this but no option has been found that I am aware of.

- no REMOTE numerical keypad that is separated from the console  *
  A good alarm system console (the part that protect the home, dials telephone numbers) is ALWAYS separate and hidden.  The X10 console needs to be in the open and announces itself when its alarm is tripped. It would take a thief only a few seconds to silence   this console and rob a home without further trouble from X10.

--- End quote ---

My console is separate and "hidden away".

- To cumbersome to set delayed exit (only available from console) and entry! Delayed entry should be audible so that one knows that within 30 seconds, the alarm will trigger. *

--- End quote ---

Not true! You can set the console "delayed away mode" using the Security Remote Control (SH624)

- Only a single zone. No multi-zones. *
  Example:  Setting an at home mode where all external door sensors will trip, some windows sensors will trip, kitchen motion detector will NOT trip but all other motion sensors will trip.

--- End quote ---

I've read other such complaints/posts. Currently the consoles "home mode" disregards the motion sensors.

The DS7000 is a fine DIY unit that compares well with current profession "basic units". It's relatively easy to setup... it's not perfect. For $150 bucks... you've purchased a system that will sound the sirens, flash lights, and call you on the phone if a break-in occurs. And it does this with NO monthly fees. An installed system will cost as much in just a few months time. There are many things you can do with your system (to upgrade/improve) using the CM15A and the OnAlert software.

I am first and foremost a Home Automation user of X10. What I like MOST is how easily the X10 systems all intergrate with each other.

Unfortunately Alarm systems simply "report" break-ins. Hopefully preventing us from walking in on a break-in. And with some luck they scare away an intruder before much is taken. Alarms can't really prevent crime. I use X10 as part of my perimeter protection system... you can see that in action on my YouTube Video <link.

sconnelly:

--- Quote from: Dave_x10_L on July 31, 2008, 06:37:21 AM ---
--- Quote from: sconnelly on July 31, 2008, 02:27:43 AM ---- no numeric keypad  *

--- End quote ---

Yeah... a comman request. Many people have explored this but no option has been found that I am aware of.

--- End quote ---

And because of that, the X10 system loses out on many customers who need this. Like I stated earlier, what's the point of an alarm system if it has a one button disarm?

--- Quote from: sconnelly on July 31, 2008, 02:27:43 AM ---- no REMOTE numerical keypad that is separated from the console  *
  A good alarm system console (the part that protect the home, dials telephone numbers) is ALWAYS separate and hidden.  The X10 console needs to be in the open and announces itself when its alarm is tripped. It would take a thief only a few seconds to silence   this console and rob a home without further trouble from X10.

--- End quote ---

My console is separate and "hidden away".

--- End quote ---

If it is "hidden away", how do you hear it, how do you check its status (that is why a remote next to the door is necessary and common in most alarm systems)?

Anyhow, my point is that since the console is also the unit that dial the owner it is really dumb to place the alarm on the console too! How many seconds will it take for a thief to locate it and take a baseball bat to it?

I suppose one could use the PH508 Power horn but a thief could just as easily stop it by unplugging. The PH508 would be much improved by including a battery backup.

Studies have shown time and again that neighbours will ignore alarms especially if they are turned off in the first 30 seconds.

--- Quote from: sconnelly on July 31, 2008, 02:27:43 AM ---- To cumbersome to set delayed exit (only available from console) and entry! Delayed entry should be audible so that one knows that within 30 seconds, the alarm will trigger. *

--- End quote ---
Not true! You can set the console "delayed away mode" using the Security Remote Control (SH624)

--- End quote ---

I have the SH624 but where do you suppose I place this? Again, because this device has an easy one button DISARM, I would have to have the presence of mind to HIDE this remote every time I leave the home! 

X10 missed the boat on this one! With a few more buttons and a little bit more electronics, this could be morphed into a door-side security remote. 

X10 is always playing to the lowest common denominator (which is quite annoying!). Enough with the buy 4, get 20 free deals!

If they make a remote console such as what I described, we will buy it! I am willing to pay another $100.00 for such a device!

I suppose I could attach the SH624 next to the door but modify the unit so that the disarm buttons no longer work. But why do that when I could purchase a system like the ones offered at http://www.intellahome.com/kp.html?

--- Quote from: sconnelly on July 31, 2008, 02:27:43 AM ---- Only a single zone. No multi-zones. *

--- End quote ---
I've read other such complaints/posts. Currently the consoles "home mode" disregards the motion sensors.

--- End quote ---

Disregarding *all* motion sensors with no other options is just plain silly!

--- Quote from: Dave_x10_L on July 31, 2008, 06:37:21 AM ---The DS7000 is a fine DIY unit that compares well with current profession "basic units". It's relatively easy to setup... it's not perfect. For $150 bucks... you've purchased a system that will sound the sirens, flash lights, and call you on the phone if a break-in occurs. And it does this with NO monthly fees. An installed system will cost as much in just a few months time. There are many things you can do with your system (to upgrade/improve) using the CM15A and the OnAlert software.

--- End quote ---

I can't speak for others but I didn't buy solely for price. I purchased because of the perceived variety of home automation integration and most important, quality.

I think some of the camera products are nice (my home automation order was over $400 and included cameras). I am very likely going to ship the DS7000 kit back, especially because I can't seem to solve the false triggers and the darn system won't tell me which of the 14 sensors is falsely triggering. It is so infrequent (about once every two hours) that process of elimination is difficult (esp. because I think more than one sensor is bad).

Hopefully, I won't have problems returning these parts that some customers have reported. I will likely keep the cameras but the I must say that the VK75A is really clunky (as in huge). So big, in fact, my wife won't let me install it.  :(

Thanks for your response.

steven r:
My 2˘...

Alarms come in 3 varieties...

* 1. DIY of which the X10 one is good one
* 2. Inexpensive installed professional ones were you get everything for $99 and then pay around $1500+ over the next 3 years with the mandatory contract
* 3. A paid up front professionally installed system with no mandatory monitoring contract.
I'd much rather keep a potential burglar out than be warned that he has broken into my home. So the first thing I recommend is that you use lighting and good locks to keep them out. After that my preference is option 3 with a good monitoring service. I pay $8.95/month. My next choice would be a DIY system but keep in mind an alarm is only as good as it's notification system. i.e. It being able to let you know it's status.  I do not recommend option 2 and that is what all the major installers stick you with.

I'm a strong believer in having a good monitoring system. This can be missing in many DIY setups.
Reasons I like my monitoring system:

* They are active with a human response 24/7 as well as a backup for their monitoring systems.
* They notify me in the event of a power failure at my location
* They can tell me what zone was compromised. i.e. They will tell me what door or window was opened.
* They can distinguish between fire or break in.
* I can deactivate the local siren while silently letting them know of a panic situation.
* In the event of fire or panic, they will contact emergency services first and then me.
* If they don't reach me, they will go down a list of numbers till they reach someone.
* They do all this for a very reasonable rate of $8.95/month.*
In addition a monitored system qualifies me for a 20% home insurance discount. I don't know if a non-monitored or a DIY system would.

*Paid annually. Also there was a one time setup fee of I believe $30. I also pay an optional 50˘/month for email notification with a printout of contact time and problem resolution.

Jimmer:
Well I look at it this way.  if I go to Canadian Tire I have to pay  for a Skylink Wireless Home Security System $299.99 that comes with System contains a control panel, emergency dialer, 2 door/window sensors, 2 remotes and a motion sensor.  So I think the x10 price is pretty good.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version