Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: What antenna to use after F-Mod to CM15A?  (Read 2959 times)

aslamma

• Helpful Post Rating: 11
What antenna to use after F-Mod to CM15A?
« on: August 04, 2008, 05:00:45 PM »

I have seen the posts on how to create the F connector, for example... http://www.accessha.com/howto_fconnector_page1.html

But what antenna do I attached to this?  Should it be a certain type with a certain length?  The unit is in a visible location, so the aesthetics should be considered as well.  Thanks :)

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page
Re: What antenna to use after F-Mod to CM15A?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2008, 06:37:34 PM »

Dave Houston's home brew "eggbeater" works very well:  http://davehouston.net/eggbeater.htm

Jeff
X-10 automation since the BSR days

aslamma

• Helpful Post Rating: 11
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2008, 06:59:26 PM »

Well, I am looking for something that I can purchase to minimize time and effort.  Also, that looks pretty "ugly".  I am sure it works good for placing remotely, but again I need something that will attach directly to the unit and be in plain view.

How about just a simple regular TV antenna or something?  I don't need "perfect" range, just something that will about double the current capability.  Can an off the shelf antenna from radio shack work?

JeffVolp

• Community Organizer
  • Helpful Post Rating: 122
    • XTB Home Page
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2008, 11:29:41 PM »

The 310MHz X10 RF band is mid-way between the top end of the lower channels (216MHz) and the beginning of the UHF channels (470MHz).  So, a TV antenna tuned to cover those ranges won't work very well.  Neither will an FM radio antenna, which should work best over the range of 88 to 108MHz.

A simple quarter-wave vertical whip antenna adjusted to 9.1 inches would give 360 degree coverage, but you have to be careful about cable losses unless some sort of RF amplifier is included.  (Keep the cable short.)

Jeff
X-10 automation since the BSR days

X10.com | About X10 | X10 Security Systems | Cameras| Package Deals
© Copyright 2014-2016 X10.com All rights reserved.